By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is there still a chance for February Direct?

Will it be Nintendo Direct in February?

Yes 9 18.37%

No 40 81.63%

Total:49
Miyamotoo said:
Lonely_Dolphin said: 

Tbh I don't see a direct until April if we get one before E3 at all. That Mini Direct pretty much filled out the whole first half of the year line-up. A couple games still need dates but they don't need a direct for that. Animal Crossing, Smash (I'm 100% confident in them), and Fire Emblem still need revealing, but at this point they're clearly second half games so Nintendo can just wait until E3 for all of them.

Actually if you look at release dates beyond Kirby and Labo we dont have almost any relase date for 1H, most likly we will have direct before or shortly after Kirby launch where focus will be on games releses from March to July-August (we definatly having at least one normal direct before E3), ofcourse we can definitely expect some new announcements (espacily 3rd party).

I mean first half of the calender year, January through June.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Nothing on the internet is serious, so just post it!

But, what if people don't like me  

That's their loss, besides we want to know the post.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Not impossible,but unlikely. Like everyone said, a 1 year celebration with a direct would be better.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

I think the next event will be a Nindie showcase within the next couple weeks

As for a February Direct, I can't see that happening. Earliest possible would be the anniversary, but I think the next one will be mid-late March.

RolStoppable said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I feel like I should make a comment in here, but at the risk of getting hate I won't do it. And that's the only time hate has stopped me from writing a comment, so you know it's serious....

I hate people who play victim before anything has happened. You might as well post what you wanted to say because you have already hit rock bottom.

Did the emoji not make the sarcasm obvious enough for you, Rol? Yes, I stopped myself from posting something. That's something everyone has done though, it's called realizing you're going to make an ass of yourself and deciding not to. Considering the victim card was very obvious sarcasm, maybe you should excercise it yourself sometime :)!!!!!

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 22 February 2018

Around the Network

We will definitely have one by least April. (they had one last year in April after having a presentation in January, and a spotlight in July. Also any big Pokemon related announcements would get their own direct also which even if it releases early 2019 should be revealed before E3.

Miyamotoo said: 
friendlyfamine said: 

Wii U droughts all over again. If they don't announce anything more for March, this will be the third consecutively weak month for the Switch this year in software. MK8, Odyssey and Zelda should not be the highest games charting in Switch software still. March 3rd, I'm honestly crossing for.

What are you talking about!? Switch has every month some Nintendo or exclusive release algonside some 3rd party and Indie games, for instance Bayonetta 1/2 is just launched and we have some 3rd party and Indie games, and next month there is Kirby also with some 3rd party and Indies, that dont have anuthing with Wii U. There is reason why MK8, Odyssey and Zelda are still best Switch best selling games, because they are some of strongest Nintendo IPs.

No new Nintendo game was released in February or January, nor any significant exclusive release. The biggest new game in January for the Switch was clearly Celeste, and that game is not exclusive. Bayonetta 2 is not exclusive either, and there were no new Nintendo releases in February. So you're ultimately left with indies, and that's not going to increase sales of the Switch. Third party companies are not jumping on board with the Switch consistently enough, and we can't afford to have months like this again. While the Switch performed decently in January overall, just imagine how much better it could have sold if there were at least 2 good physical releases, particularly from third-party developers that aren't just ports. Just that extra push could facilitate the process of Nintendo reaching their financial projection this year, and perform as competently as possible. While owners may be satisfied with the games they already own, new consumers like to see a variety of new interesting physical titles available on the shelves from time to time to see that a system is expanding as product in terms of opportunities, and thus would be more inclined to hop on board and purchase the said product. As you may have seen already with the NPD data, FighterZ and MH topped the charts, and were new games released that month. If any decently hyped up physical exclusive was released the same month (for example, Pikmin 4) it would have at least made the NPD, and it appears that no new Switch release made the NPD.

Last edited by friendlyfamine - on 22 February 2018

I think a March Direct is a lot more likely than a Direct for this month.

friendlyfamine said:
Miyamotoo said: 

What are you talking about!? Switch has every month some Nintendo or exclusive release algonside some 3rd party and Indie games, for instance Bayonetta 1/2 is just launched and we have some 3rd party and Indie games, and next month there is Kirby also with some 3rd party and Indies, that dont have anuthing with Wii U. There is reason why MK8, Odyssey and Zelda are still best Switch best selling games, because they are some of strongest Nintendo IPs.

No new Nintendo game was released in February or January, nor any significant exclusive release. The biggest new game in January for the Switch was clearly Celeste, and that game is not exclusive. Bayonetta 2 is not exclusive either, and there were no new Nintendo releases in February. So you're ultimately left with indies, and that's not going to increase sales of the Switch. Third party companies are not jumping on board with the Switch consistently enough, and we can't afford to have months like this again. While the Switch performed decently in January overall, just imagine how much better it could have sold if there were at least 2 good physical releases, particularly from third-party developers that aren't just ports. Just that extra push could facilitate the process of Nintendo reaching their financial projection this year, and perform as competently as possible. While owners may be satisfied with the games they already own, new consumers like to see a variety of new interesting physical titles available on the shelves from time to time to see that a system is expanding as product in terms of opportunities, and thus would be more inclined to hop on board and purchase the said product. As you may have seen already with the NPD data, FighterZ and MH topped the charts, and were new games released that month. If any decently hyped up physical exclusive was released the same month (for example, Pikmin 4) it would have at least made the NPD, and it appears that no new Switch release made the NPD.

January is always slow month for releases. Fact that Bayonetta 2 is not exclusive dont change nothing beacuse was only availible on Wii U that had very limited user base (Switch already has bigger install base than WiiU), not to mentione that Switch offers full handheld mode. In February alongside Bayonetta 1/2 and plenty of Indie games, we also had Dragon Quests Builders. Porting requires time, plenty devs started devolping games for Switch after become obvious that Switch will be quite successful and that 3rd party games selling good on it, so we probably talking about past several months. Switch dont need huge releases curently to keep momentum, it won NPD for January despite had only Indie games. Offcourse that FighterZ and MH topped charts when they are multi platform games released on much bigger install bases, fact that only 3 exlusives in top 10 are Nintendo games is very impressing in any case. At end like I wrote, Switch lineup dont have anything with Wii U droughts.

Miyamotoo said:
friendlyfamine said:

January is always slow month for releases. Fact that Bayonetta 2 is not exclusive dont change nothing beacuse was only availible on Wii U that had very limited user base (Switch already has bigger install base than WiiU), not to mentione that Switch offers full handheld mode. In February alongside Bayonetta 1/2 and plenty of Indie games, we also had Dragon Quests Builders. Porting requires time, plenty devs started devolping games for Switch after become obvious that Switch will be quite successful and that 3rd party games selling good on it, so we probably talking about past several months. Switch dont need huge releases curently to keep momentum, it won NPD for January despite had only Indie games. Offcourse that FighterZ and MH topped charts when they are multi platform games released on much bigger install bases, fact that only 3 exlusives in top 10 are Nintendo games is very impressing in any case. At end like I wrote, Switch lineup dont have anything with Wii U droughts.

I was only using the NPD as evidence to exemplify what software sales can do for system sales. NPD isn't the only monthly sales reports that matter, ultimately the Switch still lost overall for global sales in January from what we can speculate as the PS4 has been selling better in Europe for every week so far, along with the MH dominating the Japanese charts on media create for both January and February. There's no doubt that MH absolutely detracted Switch sales for both months, and the lack of software probably magnified this as well, as there was nothing to even try and compete with MH. Speaking of, Bayonetta failed to make an impact there, and while I'm optimistic it faired decently in the west, I am inclined to believe the title failed to redeem February from otherwise being a mediocre month for Switch software. The Switch could've won in overall global sales if there were more games. Nintendo can't really afford to have these consistent "no huge releases" months if they want to sell 20 million units. Right now, half of the 12 available months need to have major titles that push at least 2 million units collectively, and the holiday season can do its wonders to exceed that as an included month (maybe doing 4 million). But again, this all isn't looking likely as we're almost 3 months in- or am I missing something? January probably pushed almost 800k units WW, and unless January will be the worst month for Switch sales, they need to up their game or have something good under their sleeve. Or is Labo meant to carry it all? :/

And while it is true that "porting takes time", devs have openly stated that they are still not interested in porting games to the system, such as Blizzard and EA. The rest is all but quiet, besides Bethesda.