By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How strong will Nintendo Switch 2 be in 2027?

xMetroid said:
dx11332sega said:

Maybe 4k docked and 1800p undocked ? but I really wanna play 4k in portable mode :3 it's 2018 and it feels so so far away in 2027 I'd be 39 years old since I'm currently 30 only

Well i think in 7 years we will be able to play on 4K device for not too much. But the question is, will nintendo really do a Switch 2 or will they go a different route again.

Well they will have a portable device for sure. Question will be if it will be one platform or will they go two platforms again.

Around the Network

I'm not even going to talk about the name of the next Nintendo system but their next gen system is going to release a lot sooner than you think ...

Nintendo will stick to a five year cycle.

zorg1000 said:
Shadow1980 said:
2027 is highly improbable for a release date for the Switch's successor. Except for the Famicom and original Game Boy, no Nintendo system has lasted more than 6-½ years before being replaced. I don't see the "Switch 2" coming out any later than Q4 2023.

Well they did say they want to last longer than the typical 5-6 year cycle.

Im thinking its possible Nintendo is going to stray away from traditional generations and make Switch an ongoing upgraded device similar to smartphones/tablets but instead of every 1-2 years, its every 3-4 years.

Switch 1-Spring 2017

Switch 2-Fall 2020, all SW2 games compatible with SW1

Switch 3-Fall 2024, all SW3 games compatible with SW2, low/medium end games compatible with SW1 but not high end games

Switch 4-Fall 2028, all, SW4 games compatible with SW3, low/medium end compatible with SW2, SW1 support ended.

Something like that i think is possible.

This would actually be a good idea I think; traditionalists would cry foul, but it would solve the issue of them having to start again from scratch in terms of library and hardware familiarity every time they release their next system. Just keep sticking a newer Tegra chip in each one, up RAM and screen resolution, but keep the basic form factor.

dx11332sega said:

In my last thread I made I asked if Microsoft can make an Xbox One X portable in 2022 many said it's impossible. So I made this thread how strong will Switch 2 be? will it be 1080p again like the Switch 1 or will it reach 1440p? And is Microsoft GPD Win 2 stronger than Nintendo Switch at the moment? I can't read The specs on Win 2? Also how many teraflops will Nintendo Switch 2 have?

I honestly dont think so.

I think a docked Switch is more powerfull than the GDP Win 2.

*edit2:

Looks like a full speed "Intel HD 615" is around 403 Gflops.... I still think its weaker than the Switch though.

https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-GT-1030-vs-HD-Graphics-615

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-615.174029.0.html

Intel HD 615:
Kingdom Come: Deliverance (1280x720) (lowest) = 8 fps avg
Fortnite (1280x720) (lowest) = 35 fps
Need for Speed Payback (1280x720) (lowest) =9 fps
Call of Duty WWII (1280x720) (lowest) =15 fps
AC:O (1280x720) (lowest) = 7 fps
Destiny 2 (1280x720) (lowest) = 8 fps

^ you get the idea, its kinda terribad and slow.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 19 February 2018

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Well they did say they want to last longer than the typical 5-6 year cycle.

Im thinking its possible Nintendo is going to stray away from traditional generations and make Switch an ongoing upgraded device similar to smartphones/tablets but instead of every 1-2 years, its every 3-4 years.

Switch 1-Spring 2017

Switch 2-Fall 2020, all SW2 games compatible with SW1

Switch 3-Fall 2024, all SW3 games compatible with SW2, low/medium end games compatible with SW1 but not high end games

Switch 4-Fall 2028, all, SW4 games compatible with SW3, low/medium end compatible with SW2, SW1 support ended.

Something like that i think is possible.

This would actually be a good idea I think; traditionalists would cry foul, but it would solve the issue of them having to start again from scratch in terms of library and hardware familiarity every time they release their next system. Just keep sticking a newer Tegra chip in each one, up RAM and screen resolution, but keep the basic form factor.

Yep and they can still do their regular revisions (XL, Mini, TV, etc) in between the upgrades.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

By 2023 it should be well and truly possible to achieve base PS4 performance when portable, and a boost to around Xbox One X level when docked.

Probably the exact same strength it will be when it first comes out in around 2020.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I would hope we are on Switch 3.0 at the very least by then.  It should easily be more powerful than Xbox One X by then.  Certainly the CPU would be.

curl-6 said:

By 2023 it should be well and truly possible to achieve base PS4 performance when portable, and a boost to around Xbox One X level when docked.

High end portables seem to be like ~7-8 years behind high end consoles.

Game Gear released in 1990 and was similar to NES/Master System that released in 1983.

Sega Nomad released in 1995 and was literally a portable Genesis which released in 1988.

PSP released in 2004 and i would say was slightly behind Dreamcast which released in 1998.

Vita released in 2011 and was somewhere between Xbox & 360 which released in 2001 & 2005.

Switch released in 2017 and is somewhere between the PS3/360 which released in 05/06 & XBO/PS4 in 2013.

Based on that a portable released in 2023 could possibly be in the same ballpark as PS4.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.