By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Latest UK Sofware (Week Ending 17 February 2018)

How hasn't GTA V saturated its market yet?

Around the Network
quickrick said:
VGPolyglot said:

So, you want less IP diversity?

bayonetta is a failure of a ip, and platinum is the only developer making these type of games anymore, i would like to them to move on into something more appealing, maybe a surprise hit, making these type of game more popular again.   

Lmao Bayonetta isn't a failure. It just never had a chance. Bayonetta 1 on PS3 was a catastrophe and 360 people didn't really care. It was a big hit on Stream last year when it came out tho. 

Bayonetta 2 came out exclusive to a console with a ridiculous install base, terrible ecosystem and the audience target was clearly not the one playing Bayonetta. The game didn't do terribly tho.

Now on Switch, even tho it's a port, I really think the game will have decent sales and long legs when come Smash bros and Bayonetta 3. I expect Bayo 3 to be a multi million seller game.

CosmicSex said:
How hasn't GTA V saturated its market yet?

Same reason PS4 and XB1 keeps selling. People buy the game with their new consoles...

quickrick said:
I honestly still don't know how they are still making bayonetta games. the games don't sell, regardless of the high reviews, and good word on the internet, it's art style, and unappealing main character are is never gonna appeal to a bigger audience, why doesn't nintedo just give platinum the zelda ip to work with, and make a action game out of that.

Because there are people that like these types of games and will gladly buy them. Bayonetta is not a "failure of an IP" and not everything needs to be a mainstream hit. I for one am happy that Platinum works on excellent titles like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Nier Automata, Wonderful 101, etc. Platinum games was founded precisely so that they would not have to do what you are suggesting (abandon the IPs and games that they want to develop in favour of mainstream games). Capcom hired people like Kamiya to make new IPs, the new IPs that were created as a result, like Okami, were very well received but were not mainstream and so Capcom ended this effort. As a result, people like Kamiya that wanted to continue creating these types of games left Capcom and started Platinum. If they went down the road that you want, they might as well have stayed with Capcom doing sequels to mainstream franchises. 

Nier Automata was a smash success though. Not sure why you're mentioning it with those other titles.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Qwark said:

If you can't see how extremely vital Pokemon was to the 3DS during the holiday season. If you would replace Pokemon for Switch by Bayonetta four and five that would be a worse move by far. The same goes for Sony. If Sony only cated about moving consoles. They could better focus on making/buying more Crash, Horizons and Uncharted tier games at the expense of making/buying Gravity Rush, Persona 5 and The last Guardian Tier games. Yet there is a small market for those games and they earn themselves back. Not every exclusive sells system and they don't have to either, just make a profit.

Besides I highly doubt Bayonetta can compete saleswise with any of the games you named above. Zelda and Mario easily sell 6 million plus and so does Monster Hunter. Dragon Quest movesillion in Japan. But those aren't lower tier games, saleswise. Bayonetta would be very lucky to hit the 3 million mark.

I'm not even sure how what you're saying refutes my original statement. There's 70m+ 3DSs out there but no Pokemon game has even cracked 20m yet. Clearly having a variety of games has helped the 3DS sell a lot more than Pokemon alone would have.

Likewise, Sony making/buying more niche titles doesn't mean they don't care about selling consoles. Quite the opposite actually, those niche titles add to the library and make the PS4 a more attractive console. It's Microsoft that only cares about huge selling games, and which console has sold more, the PS4 or the Xbox One?

1 Mario game may sell more Switches than any other game could, but 1 Mario game + 9 games in other different IPs is going to move more consoles than just 10 Mario games would. Drawing different audiences to your console with different types of games is going to get you more sales than just saturating your console with one type of game.

Completely agree. It is true that a single niche title does not have that much in the way of system selling power, as say a mainstream title. However, as you accumulate more niche titles that target different audiences, then the number of people that purchase your system to play those games starts adding up.

my mistake with the reply, still getting used to the forum

Last edited by alejollorente10 - on 19 February 2018

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

quickrick said:
I honestly still don't know how they are still making bayonetta games. the games don't sell, regardless of the high reviews, and good word on the internet, it's art style, and unappealing main character are is never gonna appeal to a bigger audience, why doesn't nintedo just give platinum the zelda ip to work with, and make a action game out of that.

Seriously? drawing sales conclusions with just 4 days and without official world wide data? This is still a port. In addition, the sales of this game will have great legs, as bayonetta (lol). 

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Well, while I won't say Bayonetta IP is a failure, it's far from what it could have been. If the game had had development focused on ps3(where it sold most) instead of 360 it could've been a successful multiplatform game for ps4 and xbone at the beggining of this generation. A good alternative for DMC.

It's a good thing nintendo saved the game but the Wii U limited it's sales greatly

quickrick said:
VGPolyglot said:

So, you want less IP diversity?

bayonetta is a failure of a ip, and platinum is the only developer making these type of games anymore, i would like to them to move on into something more appealing, maybe a surprise hit, making these type of game more popular again.   

That exclusivity deal Nintendo struck with Platinum, made Bayonetta a commercial failure. The series, like the first entry, belongs in all platforms. Nintendo has always been about Nintendo. Third party exclusivity on a Nintendo console is ill advised.