By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Video: Bayonetta 3 is more important for sales than Pokemon Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy9y-YPYp4Y

The gist of this guy's idea is that Pokemon players come to buy for Pokemon, while a Bayonetta player will buy other games like it. 

...I feel as if that were the case, we'd have evidence of Bayonetta fans buying a lot of Dante or Wonderful 101, which I have never heard evidence of. Plus the idea that Pokemon buyers will only buy Pokemon is a tad odd. 

I mean even as a kid, I got non-Pokemon games on my handhelds. I buy other games for my little sisters's 3DS and she had bought other titles, like Poocy and Yoshi's Whooly World. And I see little reason why Pokemon fans would not bleed over into, say, Mario Kart or such. 

Sure they might not help the sales of Awakening or Link Between Worlds, but the point seems weak. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

No... Need I say more?

I'm excited for a moderately big 3rd party exclusive such as Bayonetta 3 on Switch and all, but Pokemon is around as big of a sales pusher on systems such as Mario, Fifa and Call of Duty.

Last edited by Green098 - on 17 February 2018

...Yeah I'm not really seeing that.

Some of the most successful action/hack and slash games barely ever cross 5m in sales. Bayonetta 3, like 2, exists as a bonus for those dedicated fans, it's not gonna push a ton of systems by itself. Pokemon...yeeeeeah, Pokemon is gonna push millions of systems singlehandedly (or, I guess, dual-handedly since there'll be two sister games!). And those Pokemon sales will likely dive in on a Mario Kart, a Mario Odyssey, even maybe a Kirby.

Bayo keeps the most core of fans happy, the same kind of fans that are likely buying into the niche games anyway; Pokemon brings in MANY more casual fans that'll buy into the big, key games. That said, I'm very glad both exist on the same system!

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

no

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Even if the ratio at which Pokemon gamers buy other games is way below that of Bayonetta, it will still easily make more of a difference by the simple virtue of exponentially greater volume.

Around the Network

I do agree that Bayonetta seems to be off to a rise in sales and popularity and that Pokémon will sell lots of copies/Switches to people who will only buy Pokémon, but that's inevitable with a franchise this big.

I also think Bayonetta 3 is more important that Pokémon for another Nintendo release: Metroid Prime 4, given both series are mature, for hardcore players and star a female main character I feel like a good performance in sales by Bayonetta would lead into an almost guaranteed good performance from Metroid, which is absolutely what Nintendo needs now, on the other hand Pokémon will just give an insane push for the hardware, but I don't know how many of the Pokémon fans will even consider buying Metroid Prime 4

Nintendo games sells Nintendo consoles. Simple as that. Has been that way since the N64.

Eh.. he has a point in saying people who buy Pokémon only buy a console for pokemon. People do do that, but not a ton of them do. The majority of them will buy Pokémon and other Nintendo franchises. And then you have the ones that buy Pokémon and third parties.

Bayo 3 is more important for Switch reputation among older fans. But nothing really trumps Pokémon.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

I love Bayonetta 3, and it will certainly shift a small crowd who didn't bite on Bayonetta 2 in hopes of future entries elsewhere, but Pokemon is going to move units - some of whom haven't had a Nintendo home console in a WHILE.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

While I think Bayonetta can definitely grow as a franchise, it'll never be more important to the Switch than Pokemon.