By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Delaware students can now choose their own race (Yes, RACE!) under new regulations.

numberwang said:
VGPolyglot said:
Um, that's how censuses work too. You self-identity which you belong too. This is nothing new.

Can I identify as 65 years old and get Medicare?

If they ever consider paying reparations I'm going to be the whitest African American on the block.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Tulipanzo said:
Aeolus451 said:

Worship me. 🙏

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/05/17/you-can-be-fined-for-not-calling-people-ze-or-hir-if-thats-the-pronoun-they-demand-that-you-use/?utm_term=.c4a8291b7666

Are you really trying to convince me that "basic politeness is actually bad"?

You're still avoiding answering my question: if you self identified as any race or gender, on a form no less, what does it matter?

No, nobody is getting an island, or money, or women (really says a lot you went there pal). 

Let's even entertain the article. Why would I give a toss what anyone wishes to be called? Really not that big a deal, though I guess common courtesy must be a tough challenge for some

Basic politeness is voluntary and should remain that way. Criminalizing rudeness is antithetical to liberty and free expression. If I don't acknowledge someone's identity, I shouldn't be forced to play along with it.

I identify as a God. Worship me when you're around me. Call me God whenever you address me. Don't want to?  Then you're being rude and you deny "my truth", "my existence". Go to jail.  Lose your career.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Medisti said:
As a gay black woman trapped in a straight white man's body, I approve of this motion.

What's funny about being a gay black woman? 

I don't recall suggesting that it's funny. Just used the exact opposite of what I am.

Medisti said:

What's funny about being a gay black woman? 

I don't recall suggesting that it's funny. Just used the exact opposite of what I am.

Yeah, I'm used to those jokes being more like "I identify as an apache helicopter" so I was thinking you meant to say something funny and ridiculous in the first half of the sentence. But never mind your joke makes sense. 

Medisti said:

Yeah, I'm used to those jokes being more like "I identify as an apache helicopter" so I was thinking you meant to say something funny and ridiculous in the first half of the sentence. But never mind your joke makes sense. 

Those "jokes" take it to an illogical extreme, so it doesn't work. Is race identity actually a thing now? Is species identity next? Nothing would make me happier than to list myself as anything other than human, looking at what the species has done since the beginning of time.

Around the Network
Medisti said:

Those "jokes" take it to an illogical extreme, so it doesn't work. Is race identity actually a thing now? Is species identity next? Nothing would make me happier than to list myself as anything other than human, looking at what the species has done since the beginning of time.

It's been my opinion for a while now that the only reason humanity is capable of as much bad shit as we are is because we have the intellectual capacity for complexity. That allows us to progress and use tools to carry out bad schemes. It allows us to learn knowledge that could be dangerous to other people or species. But it's all based around our consciousness and intelligence. That's why even when we do dumb bad shit, blaming it on our species and pointing to other animals doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Other species aren't as destructive because they don't have the consciousness to be. 

Basically, as fun as it would be to identify and become some unknown alien species that's super smart and super peaceful, your consciousness will always be the price for leaving a smaller footprint of fucked up shit as a species. 

Medisti said:

It's been my opinion for a while now that the only reason humanity is capable of as much bad shit as we are is because we have the intellectual capacity for complexity. That allows us to progress and use tools to carry out bad schemes. It allows us to learn knowledge that could be dangerous to other people or species. But it's all based around our consciousness and intelligence. That's why even when we do dumb bad shit, blaming it on our species and pointing to other animals doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Other species aren't as destructive because they don't have the consciousness to be. 

Basically, as fun as it would be to identify and become some unknown alien species that's super smart and super peaceful, your consciousness will always be the price for leaving a smaller footprint of fucked up shit as a species. 

I would suggest that's closer to fact than opinion. I'm of the opinion that gender identity is nonsense because it seems more like a simpler escape from the gender roles of society. I'm not a man who's "girly"; I'm a woman, so it's okay for me to be like this. Even though it's okay to be like that regardless of gender. Gender traits need to go.

Man there's so many things I can comment. But I don't really feel like being banned atm. My line of jokes push the line :(

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

JWeinCom said:
All the part of the law they're referencing really does is attempt to make paperwork easier. Race is always either identified by student or parent. In older grades, typically by the student. This allows the school to bypass parents in certain situations. This is because there are cases where parents have conflicting views on a child's race (there are situations where one parent will insist a student is black, and another insists they are not), situations where parents are nigh impossible to get a hold of, situations where a parent refuses to answer questions of race, and so on. And of course, there is the situation that you have kids who are old enough to self identify race, (so far from my experience, about 100% of students identify race as you would expect) and you have no need to involve parents. Of course, the law preserves the school's ability to consult parents, and use them as the determining factor.

Of course, all this does is dictate what goes into a field in a computer system. Which... I guess is a big deal to some people?

It's just another case of outrage news, people losing their minds over nothing like somehow self identification is a new thing.

Medisti said: 

I would suggest that's closer to fact than opinion. I'm of the opinion that gender identity is nonsense because it seems more like a simpler escape from the gender roles of society. I'm not a man who's "girly"; I'm a woman, so it's okay for me to be like this. Even though it's okay to be like that regardless of gender. Gender traits need to go.

Well I am a little bit confused so let me ask you two questions. What is gender identity in this context? Wouldn't people who focus on gender identity mostly be transgender people? I don't think there's a lot of people who aren't transgender who say they identify as another gender. And in that case I don't mind transgender people identifying as another gender because the basis for that is an actual mental condition. 

My second question is, why would you think that gender identity is nonsense that is a simple escape from gender roles ... but then say that gender traits need to go? Gender traits are what determine gender roles and if you think the traits are bullshit you shouldn't really care about what gender someone identifies as in the first place because those roles are arbitrary anyways, right? Unless you're saying that it's all such bullshit we should just get rid of all gender traits and stop entertaining the idea of Gender?

My opinion is that Gender has almost always been used as an easy way of identifying someone's sex without using the word "what is your sex". I guess sex is the scientific term whereas Gender is a social term but people should just list their actual gender unless they are transgender.