By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Secret of Mana out today! - Who's buying it?

Tagged games:

Who's buying it?

Physical all the way (Gamestop exclusive) 6 20.69%

Digital PS4 6 20.69%

Digital PSV 2 6.90%

Not interested 9 31.03%

No physical outside of Gamestop? Hell no! 1 3.45%

Others (please state) 5 17.24%

Total:29

I didn't get it, I may some day down the line, though.

Around the Network

This game has been getting a lot of hate it seems

pastro243 said:

I dont understand why.  I have been playing it all day and loving it.

Neodegenerate said:
pastro243 said:

That's really great to hear from someone that's actually been playing it!!!

I'm also playing this and just been enjoying the hell out of this!

V-r0cK said:
Neodegenerate said:

That's really great to hear from someone that's actually been playing it!!!

I'm also playing this and just been enjoying the hell out of this!

I mean, full disclosure, the SNES version is my 4th favorite game of all time behind FF6, Chrono, and Persona 5.

That said, the art style doesn't bother me, the combat feels the same, and the story still has its charms.  I feel like I am 11 years old again while I play, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Around the Network

Own the actual cart. Do not need, will not buy.

I don't agree that the graphics are a step up.
The graphics from the original still look good today, while the remake's graphics look kind of dated already.
I mean, it doesn't look bad, but they could've made it look better. Now, will i buy it ? Not at this price, but when it drops to 20 bucks or less maybe, though id prefer to buy this on Switch and Physical, so hopefully this happens.

Shadow1980 said:
Not interested. I already have the SNES version of Secret of Mana, so I don't feel there's any real incentive to pick this remake up.

As to why, there's something timeless about those old 16-bit sprites, and I've tended to have an aversion towards 3D remakes of old 2D games, even if they do retain the same gameplay. There's just something about that old colorful pixel art that gives those old games a lasting charm, and it feels like something is lost when they're replaced with 3D graphics. Same with ongoing series that have retained sprite-based graphics until relatively recently, only for the newest game in the series to move towards 3D graphics.

Now, remakes of older 3D games are something I can get behind, seeing as how 3D polygon-based graphics tend to age very poorly. That's why I feel the PS4 remake of Shadow of the Colossus is a good example of a remake/remaster worthy of my time.

For me, unless they're played on an actual NES,SNES, Genesis etc, on a CRT tv... they all feel hollow and empty. Something is lost when you play a game from that era on a modern LED TV with input lag, holding a PS4 controller etc. It loses all its charm and just feels like an imitation (which it is).

Neodegenerate said:

I mean, full disclosure, the SNES version is my 4th favorite game of all time behind FF6, Chrono, and Persona 5.

That said, the art style doesn't bother me, the combat feels the same, and the story still has its charms.  I feel like I am 11 years old again while I play, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Same here! Except the only difference is I'm not playing with my two brothers who also enjoyed this game.  And the SNES version is also one of my all time favorites.

Bristow9091 said:
I'll be buying it, just not yet... probably wait for the price to drop on Amazon, although I don't really have a problem with the current price anyway, I'm just not in a rush to play it.

If you're referring to the physical copy it's a Gamestop/EB Games exclusive with a limited run unfortunately.

Hiku said:
At first I was skeptical about the way it looks compared to the original. But after watching a friend play it for a bit, and especially hearing the music and the voice overs (Japanese version. Can't vouch for the Eng version) I changed my mind and I'm now looking forward to playing this magical game once again.

That's awesome to hear! I think any veterans that enjoyed the original and aren't looking forward to this version should just try it out somehow and actually get a feel for it.  Wish there was a demo for this for everyone to try.

I'm actually hoping more so for the collection to be localized. I'd like to have a legit copy of Seiken Densetsu 3 make it over to the west finally. That game looks pretty cool and interesting...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread