By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kotaku "Spyro Trilogy Remaster Coming to PS4 This Year"

are you getting it?

yes! nostalgia overload. 22 53.66%

maybe, need to see how it turns out first. 10 24.39%

nope! never enjoyed spyro, wont now. 5 12.20%

check results. 4 9.76%

Total:41
CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:

So whats the difference between Crash N Sane Trilogy and Homeworld Remastered? Both look leaps and bounds better than there orignals and have minor gameplay changes yet one is clearly a Remaster.

The difference? One of them was built from the ground up and the other wasn't. Hence, one is a Remake and the other is a Remaster. It's not strictly about looks, but assets. Crash's assets were rebuilt with modern technology and not simply "touched up". So if you're arguing that Crash is a Remaster, you're factually incorrect. Beginning with sound (music), the term 'Remaster' refers to a correction of original assets for better quality. That is not the same as assets rebuilt from the ground up, which is what the Crash N.Sane Trilogy is.

Many out there still claim the game a Remaster. Mainly due to the core mechanics havnt changed. Majority of Remasters (the good ones) build alot of the visuals and sounds from the ground up and paste them over the core game. 

Crash seems to play almost identical to the original games with added check points etc. 

Conkers Live and Reloaded ill consider a Remake based on the big changes to level designs, controls, objectives, visusls, sounds. Crash still keeps alot of its core. Aside from some tweaks and extras much like Homeworld Remastered. 

Im not complaining if its a remastered or a remake i see its a bit of a confusing topic.

Around the Network
Areym said:
Miyamotoo said:
So PS4 1y exclusive same like Crash Trilogy.

Looks like it and it makes sense, imo. While the games were not exclusives as of like early 2000s, they got their start on PS consoles. What better way to test the waters than focusing all efforts on one console and see the turnout. If the reception is positive and the sales are good, the ports to other consoles are icing on the cake. Crash and Spyro are perfect for the Switch, they'd be losing money not making ports.

It looks like plan from start is that Crash and Spyro (like Kotaku also suggests) be multiplatform games just that PS4 has 1y exclusive deal. I agree that Crash and Spyro would/will sell quite good on Switch also.

flashfire926 said: 
If crash doesn't come to X1/Switch this year, it might release as a $60 double pack with spyro in 2019.

Nevertheless, I'm hyped.

Well informations we have suggesting that Crash coming this year on Switch and Spyro on other platforms (probably including Switch) next year.

Azzanation said:
Barkley said:
Why are these titles referred to as "remasters", it's a disservice in my opinion. Every single thing is created from scratch.

Wind Waker HD is a remaster, Uncharted Collection is a remaster, Master Chief Collection is a remaster.

Crash/This is a remake.

Crash still uses the same core elements and its gameplay is for most unchanged. 

The visusl quality can vary between Remasters, meaning some will look heaps better than others however the game is still the exact same as its orignal with a new coat of paint. Strip the paint away and there is the same game.

A shot for shot remake of a film... is still a remake. Because it's not using the original footage. Just as Crash doesn't use original models, textures, shaders, music...

If the core elements and gameplay changed it wouldn't be a remake, it'd be a new game.

2018, just got way better.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Replicant said:
SuperNova said:

Yes. Yes please!

Spyro was my first console game! :)

One of my first console games as well together with Gran Turismo, Crash, Tekken 3 and Rayman. A little later Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Dino Crisis, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy. So many classics

Spyro's opening theme is pure nostalgia for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPOnak-ozjw

Damn you were either a much more informed kid than I was, or whoever was buying the games for you had some seriously good taste. I ended up with Pandemonium, Medi Evil, Rayman (wich I all love <3) and Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets XD. But I missed out on FF7 because I thought for the longest time that it was a Ps2 game, for whatever reason. I wanted to play it SO badly and always thought I wouldn't be able to. My mom might have actually lied to me like 'your console cant actually play that game' so that I wouldn't monopolize the TV. She was of the 'play outside' school of moms. :P

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:

Many out there still claim the game a Remaster. Mainly due to the core mechanics havnt changed. Majority of Remasters (the good ones) build alot of the visuals and sounds from the ground up and paste them over the core game. 

Crash seems to play almost identical to the original games with added check points etc. 

Conkers Live and Reloaded ill consider a Remake based on the big changes to level designs, controls, objectives, visusls, sounds. Crash still keeps alot of its core. Aside from some tweaks and extras much like Homeworld Remastered. 

Im not complaining if its a remastered or a remake i see its a bit of a confusing topic.

It doesn't matter what people claim. When all assets are rebuilt from the ground up, the project is a Remake. I'm telling you why it shouldn't be confusing. Just because some folks say what they want to say (as is often the case, especially on The Internet), doesn't change what I've told you.

There are so called Remakes out there built from the ground up and still considered to be Remasters. Would you consider Zelda Ocarina of Time on 3DS a Remake or Remaster? 

So what's your word compared to many others? My word is I say its a Remaster, you say its a Remake, who's right here? We both can link articles and forums of many agreeing and disagreeing with me. In Crash's case it seems to be confusing regardless if you say so or Jim down the road. Some considered it a in-between Remake/Remaster which probably makes more sense. Each to there own.

please be real! that would be a dream coming true, Spyro classics are amazing

shame they don't invest in this kind of games as much, old characters are much more iconic

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

SuperNova said:
Replicant said:

One of my first console games as well together with Gran Turismo, Crash, Tekken 3 and Rayman. A little later Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Dino Crisis, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy. So many classics

Spyro's opening theme is pure nostalgia for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPOnak-ozjw

Damn you were either a much more informed kid than I was, or whoever was buying the games for you had some seriously good taste. I ended up with Pandemonium, Medi Evil, Rayman (wich I all love <3) and Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets XD. But I missed out on FF7 because I thought for the longest time that it was a Ps2 game, for whatever reason. I wanted to play it SO badly and always thought I wouldn't be able to. My mom might have actually lied to me like 'your console cant actually play that game' so that I wouldn't monopolize the TV. She was of the 'play outside' school of moms. :P

Oh, I weren't only playing "good" games. There were a lot of questionable games as well (Disney's Tarzan, A Bug's Life, Hercules, Monsters, Inc., Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, etc).

My two older cousins somehow knew which games to buy though. They introduced me to most of the classics. I remember being scared for weeks after seeing them play Resident Evil but I still wanted the game myself

Can't wait to see how the RE2 Remake turns out.

Replicant said:

Oh, I weren't only playing "good" games. There were a lot of questionable games as well (Disney's Tarzan, A Bug's Life)

I enjoyed both these games growing up. I probably shouldn't play them again now, there's a good chance they are a lot worse than I remember.

CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:

There are so called Remakes out there built from the ground up and still considered to be Remasters. Would you consider Zelda Ocarina of Time on 3DS a Remake or Remaster? 

So what's your word compared to many others? My word is I say its a Remaster, you say its a Remake, who's right here? We both can link articles and forums of many agreeing and disagreeing with me. In Crash's case it seems to be confusing regardless if you say so or Jim down the road. Some considered it a in-between Remake/Remaster which probably makes more sense. Each to there own.

The problem with you is you're just looking to be right without truly understanding the material. I've given you every piece of relevant info to support what I'm saying.

Thus, there's nothing else that I can do for you.

What material did you give out apart from what you think?