By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prediction: PS5 will have the longest lifecicle of any PS console

KBG29 said:
Mummelmann said:
I think OP is the opposite of right. With the market moving faster and faster and static products having to resort to more and more extra features, accessories, revisions and bells & whistles, cycles will become either shorter and more intense, or they will be eliminated, in principal at least. PS2 came out, dominated and rode the hem of a massive, global paradigm shift in games development, as well as the steer towards more western-centric games and gaming. It was the perfect storm with the perfect market conditions, and the slow penetration of HD TV in the beginning, as well as the UHD format wars and fairly slow start of blu-ray and HD-DVD helped it a whole lot.

In short; I disagree completely.

Just curious. So, do you think we are going to see 3 to 5 year cycles where we get devices that are not true genrational leaps, but rather make minor advances in resolution, frame rate, and OS responsiveness? Are you thinking that we are basically heading towards a future where consoles are basically the Smartphone of the home theater world?

I am just curious at this blistering rate, where do devs aim when they develop their games? It is one thing to develop a Phone title with a small group in a few months, but when you are looking at a project that takes 500 people and 4 - 6 years, a reliable baseline is much more important. 

That is why I think AAA gaming has to have a hybrid of generations, and the yearly optional upgrades. A base system that sets the development standards for a decade gives everyone a set target, and allows projects to stay on focus.

Perhapps with the massive amount of work going into scalability on both game engines/tools, and CPU/GPU tech, they can just aim for a midline target, and scale up and down as needed. Maybe a set baseline is no longer needed. 

Whatever the case, it is by far the most interesting time in the 25 years I have been following the gaming industry. So many ways companies, could go, and so much potential for failure, or complete domination of the industry. Going to be interesting to see how the next decade plays out.

A more fluid market, more middleware and leasing of engine tech and physics tech. More streaming-like business models and a lot more focus on digital. Consoles are already showing increased growth in digital media and console manufacturers are already adapting their hardware and features to accommodate a rising percentage of digital titles being bought and played.

Revisions will certainly be more prevalent, we're already seeing this development, and I actually predicted this a while before the Xbox One and PS4 launched (in this very forum). Fringe consumers, the ones that helped the DS and PS2 reach such absurdly large installed bases, have a wider variety of options, the possibilities for different kinds of interfaces and interaction are also growing. Developers are seeing that how we interact with the games and the market itself has changed, and they seem more or less ready to embrace these changes.

Cost saving measures will be focused more on, brute-forcing effects and resolutions will become obsolete and the entire market will converge somewhat again, after almost a decade of splintering and dividing. Alternate distribution models and business models will become more common as well.

Smart devices set the pace for consumer electronics overall, and the pace is blistering. This has long since started affecting mainstream gaming devices, even more dedicated ones. Look at the immense reduction in the total dedicated handheld installed base, compared to the 7th gen. More static products, such as consoles, are becoming more and more dependent on revision and adding features, but building more and more powerful and more and more diverse consoles over and over will have to end at some point, and I believe that this point is quite imminent. The required increase in sheer output and performance in order to keep increasing graphical fidelity and interactive environments is massive, I have no idea how the OP has reached the conclusion that "4x the resolution requires exactly 4x the power", the jumps are increasing exponentially and even real gaming rigs are being hard-pressed to run modern games in 4k resolutions with any amount of PP effects and AA. It is simply not feasible that any mainstream device, dedicated or no, will be able to perform on these levels and be sold at an acceptable price any time soon.

Around the Network
CrazyGPU said:

SUMMARIZING ALL:

PS5 will be a 4k native capable console.

FOR A PS6 TO HAVE A REASON TO EXIST , it should be a 8k console. Even at 8k we´ll have diminishing returns in graphics. 

PS5 will be a 4k native capable console with 30 fps for most games.

FOR A PS6 TO HAVE A REASON TO EXIST , it doesn't have to be a 8K / 30 fps console.  A 4K / 60 fps console would be much more desirable IMHO.

Conina said:
CrazyGPU said:

SUMMARIZING ALL:

PS5 will be a 4k native capable console.

FOR A PS6 TO HAVE A REASON TO EXIST , it should be a 8k console. Even at 8k we´ll have diminishing returns in graphics. 

PS5 will be a 4k native capable console with 30 fps for most games.

FOR A PS6 TO HAVE A REASON TO EXIST , it doesn't have to be a 8K / 30 fps console.  A 4K / 60 fps console would be much more desirable IMHO.

I agree with you in everything. But I also think that 4k 60 fps will be PS5 pro or something like that. I do not think that they will change a generation with PS6 on the sole base of increasing from 30 to 60 fps. Graphically speaking (because there are other aspects like world size, physics, etc) for a PS6 to exist I would expect 8k or a clear difference in lighting, such as better shadows, ray casting, a larger number of bounces between light and objects, etc.  Sutil changes will be PS5 revisions

Mummelmann said:
KBG29 said:

Just curious. So, do you think we are going to see 3 to 5 year cycles where we get devices that are not true genrational leaps, but rather make minor advances in resolution, frame rate, and OS responsiveness? Are you thinking that we are basically heading towards a future where consoles are basically the Smartphone of the home theater world?

I am just curious at this blistering rate, where do devs aim when they develop their games? It is one thing to develop a Phone title with a small group in a few months, but when you are looking at a project that takes 500 people and 4 - 6 years, a reliable baseline is much more important. 

That is why I think AAA gaming has to have a hybrid of generations, and the yearly optional upgrades. A base system that sets the development standards for a decade gives everyone a set target, and allows projects to stay on focus.

Perhapps with the massive amount of work going into scalability on both game engines/tools, and CPU/GPU tech, they can just aim for a midline target, and scale up and down as needed. Maybe a set baseline is no longer needed. 

Whatever the case, it is by far the most interesting time in the 25 years I have been following the gaming industry. So many ways companies, could go, and so much potential for failure, or complete domination of the industry. Going to be interesting to see how the next decade plays out.

A more fluid market, more middleware and leasing of engine tech and physics tech. More streaming-like business models and a lot more focus on digital. Consoles are already showing increased growth in digital media and console manufacturers are already adapting their hardware and features to accommodate a rising percentage of digital titles being bought and played.

Revisions will certainly be more prevalent, we're already seeing this development, and I actually predicted this a while before the Xbox One and PS4 launched (in this very forum). Fringe consumers, the ones that helped the DS and PS2 reach such absurdly large installed bases, have a wider variety of options, the possibilities for different kinds of interfaces and interaction are also growing. Developers are seeing that how we interact with the games and the market itself has changed, and they seem more or less ready to embrace these changes.

Cost saving measures will be focused more on, brute-forcing effects and resolutions will become obsolete and the entire market will converge somewhat again, after almost a decade of splintering and dividing. Alternate distribution models and business models will become more common as well.

Smart devices set the pace for consumer electronics overall, and the pace is blistering. This has long since started affecting mainstream gaming devices, even more dedicated ones. Look at the immense reduction in the total dedicated handheld installed base, compared to the 7th gen. More static products, such as consoles, are becoming more and more dependent on revision and adding features, but building more and more powerful and more and more diverse consoles over and over will have to end at some point, and I believe that this point is quite imminent. The required increase in sheer output and performance in order to keep increasing graphical fidelity and interactive environments is massive, I have no idea how the OP has reached the conclusion that "4x the resolution requires exactly 4x the power", the jumps are increasing exponentially and even real gaming rigs are being hard-pressed to run modern games in 4k resolutions with any amount of PP effects and AA. It is simply not feasible that any mainstream device, dedicated or no, will be able to perform on these levels and be sold at an acceptable price any time soon.

I stated 4k the resolution requieres 4x the power because the graphic card should output 4x time the pixels. 3840 x 2160 is 4 times 1920 x 1080 and that is just math. What I mean is the power a PS5 has to have to output a game in 4k with the same lighting, shading, AA and everything that is being output now with a standar PS4. Thats the minimum. If you want also better graphics, better lighting, more poligons, and not only a resolution increase you will need even more than that. And a whole more if you want a 8k console, which take us to the same conclusion. It will have the longest lifecicle yet. Sony will have to keep on launching new products, but my guess is that they will be revisions of PS5 with better specs for many years.

The PS3 was seven years and that was way too fucking long. By the end of that generation, third party developers were throwing their hands up in the air and bitching about how shitty the hardware was. I mean, just take a look at how gimped both versions of GTA5 were. Rockstar had to rape that thing just to make it work.

If we see another generation go longer than that... I'll just leave entirely. Five years is the sweet spot and always will be. Anything longer than that is shortsighted greed winning over. It's not good for the industry.

Around the Network

Pemalite said:

CrazyGPU said:

Let asume, as most analysts and people guess, that PS5 would be released 2020 or 2021. With a 7nm fabrication process, and enough power for 4k 30fps gaming.

Will it though? I think people underestimate how much resources you truly need to achieve 4k30fps and have an accompanying generational leap in fidelity.

CrazyGPU said:

I said 4k 30 fps, I didn´t say that it will have an accompanying generational leap in fidelity. I would be glad if it really achieves native 4k 30-60 fps in all games. What you say would be a dream, but far from real for PS5

CrazyGPU said:

Now, in this gen of console wars, hardware is about teraflops and graphic resolution (Im not talking about soft, exclusives, policies, etc, just hardware)

No it's not about teraflops.
That's just advertising fluff so that one company's platform looks better than another and people who don't know any better take that number and run with it without any understanding of it's implications in relation to hardware capability.

This has happened many times in the past. - Like with bits or ghz.

And just like "bits". - Flops isn't an accurate denominator in determining the complete hardware capability of a console.

CrazyGPU said:

Yes, this gen is about teraflops and graphic res. Exactly as you said, people take that number and run with it. Its how Microsoft and Sony are fighting the marketing war. They don´t speak much about bandwith, geometry throughput, pixel filtering, texel filtering and the bottleneck of the involved CPU. That´s how they market the world how capable their console are, Tflops.

CrazyGPU said:

If we consider that PS4 is close to 2 teraflops for 2 megapixels per frame, then we would need a at least a 8 teraflop machine for 8 megapixels.

Correlation doesn't equate to causation. You are drawing a false equivalency which is a logical fallacy. Aka. Wrong.

CrazyGPU said:

Its math. If you want to output 2 millon pixels on screen you need 2 teraflops at a fixed quality. Then if you need to output 8 millon you need 4 times that, at the same fixed quality. And that considering other stuff like say bandwith doesn´t become a bottleneck. If it does you need to balance that too. Of course if you want to implement better AA, shading, lighting, rays, etc, you would need even more power.

CrazyGPU said:

PS5 needs to be 3840 x 2160. A 4k native console. So If we want it to handle the same games with the same shading and lighting as ps4, no improvement, just 4k native resolution for the same game. it needs  8,3 megapixels per frame.

It doesn't need to be anything. Like every other preceding console generation, resolution will be completely up to the developer.

The Playstation 4 isn't even a true 1080P console, many games operate at 900P. Or 1600x900 rather than the full 1920x1080 resolution.

The Playstation 3 had games than ran at sub 720P resolutions.

In-fact the base Playstation 4 supports HDMI 1.4, so in theory it could do 4k30fps if sony/developer allowed it and the visuals were dialed back.

CrazyGPU said:

3- Yes, its up to the developer, but how Microsoft marketed the XBOX one X for example? As a 4k native console. If you have to say in ten years what resolution the ps4 handle, you would say 1080p, despite some games doesn´t reach that at 30 fps. Most do. The PS5 will have to run most games at 4k, even though some may run at 2k checkboard, but that will be the exeption, not the rule, like now with the ps4 pro.

CrazyGPU said:

And we can have that by 2019-2020. Xbox one X is 6 Tf and just lauched.

The time frame of when the Xbox One X launching is ultimately irrelevant.
If the technology doesn't exist in the PC's mainstream, then it's never coming to a console, it is simple as that.

As for flops, again. It is a useless denominator, you can have a graphics processor with less flops outperform a graphics processor with more flops. It's stupid and nonsensical because games actually need more than just flops to render a scene.

CrazyGPU said:

It´s not useless, but It´s not accurate either. For example, if the PS5 is a 1 teraflop machine, it won´t be able to calculate fast enough for 4k resolution. But there is a window. For example, a Geforce GTX 1070 has close to 7 teraflops but its architecture is fast enough to be compared to an AMD RADEON VEGA 56 with 10.5 teraflops. That means that a 10 teraflop console without CPU bottlenecks can be able to run 4k 30 fps at high quality with today games. We have to see if they can put such a capable graphic processor on a console power envelope by 2020. If they change AMD for Nvidia, 7 teraflops would be enough for 4k 30 fps, but BC would be more difficult I guess. And again, bandwith and the rest of the graphic pipeline should be balanced or it will have a bottleneck. It will take more than the usual 6 years to have a processor with the flops an all the rest necessary to achieve 8k and that’s without increasing the quality of AAA games. Of course you can make a 8k tetris or minecraft much easier.

CrazyGPU said:

PS3 cell processor was fabricated on a 90 nm process. That means each transistor was 90 nm in size.

Are you sure about that? 14nm finfet is actually based on the 20nm planar process.
Don't fall for the "nm" marketing angle that fabs push out, they fluff up the numbers to make themselves look good.

You should try checking out the individual BEOL and FEOL sizes sometime at each geometry size, you might walk away a little surprised.
And that is the reason why Intel has typically held the fabrication edge... Because even though Global Foundries has a "12nm" process, Intels 14nm+++ likely has the edge still.

CrazyGPU said:

5- Again, it doesn´t matter if its 12 or 10 or 7. Intel 80386 was 1500 nm in 1985. They are using extreme ultraviolet light. There are no many shrinks left and each of them are harder and more expensive. Fabrics are beyond expensive to make. Moore Law is slower nowadays. It´s not year 2000 where you have a new graphic card architecture every year. So the shrinks needed to justify PS6 will take more time, hence PS5 will have longer lifespan.

CrazyGPU said:

PS4 Pro APU was fabricated on a 16 nm process and most likely PS5 will be fabricated with 7nm transistors.

7nm is a given.

CrazyGPU said:

1 nm is the size of 10 Hidrogen atoms. So we are talking sizes of 70 atoms for a transistor. They don´t have much room left for miniaturization.

Citation needed.

CrazyGPU said:

Atom size. https://hypertextbook.com/facts/1996/MichaelPhillip.shtml

CrazyGPU said:

Its getting more time and its harder to make smaller transistor fabrication processes. And because of Quantum Mecanic laws, the performance gains they are getting are also smaller. So it will take a really long time to get to let say 3 nm and really really expensive.  If the way of making processors doesn´t change, there is going to be a wall soon.

DRAM/NAND have taken note of this. So instead of going smaller, they went taller.

More exotic materials like Carbon nanotubes and using triple/quad-druple patterning will go a ways to get us to smaller geometry sizes.

CrazyGPU said:

That what I said, way of making processors have to change, We´ll see if its carbon nanotubes or some other stuff.

CrazyGPU said:

Even Nintendo said that getting into HD was  way more expensive than developing for SD.

That's just simplified rhetoric. Building a game for SD or HD costs exactly the same, the PC you can take any old game and drive it's resolution from 480P all the way to 8k, it's just a resolution change often exposed by a configuration file if it's not listed in the games settings.

It's building the assets that look great at higher definition that costs.

CrazyGPU said:

Developers make new assets for higher resolution because they need them to look better as you said, so cost goes up.

CrazyGPU said:

4K AAA are even more expensive. Developers are facing a problem with it. So they sell DLC , implement microtransactions, etc. How much would developement cost increase for 8k?

The real issue is likely the publishers. They consistently post ever-increasing-profits numbering in the Billions, they are not doing it as hard as you think they are.

CrazyGPU said:

Why should 8k be a requirement for the Playstation 6?

CrazyGPU said:

Why shouldn´t? what would people justify buying a PS6 at the same resolution? If your answer is ultra quality graphics at 4k, then the console would be able to reach 8k medium quality. As now with many ps4 pro games. Let say Shadow of the colossus. 4k 30 fps or dynamic at 60, I guess, 2k. Tomb Raider. 4k Checkboard or 1080 high quality settings.

CrazyGPU said:

Of course I can be wrong, but for that companies need to change the way they make CPUs and GPUs to get better performance faster or there has to be a VR fever so high that millons of people pay more for beast consoles and companies fight for 4k on each eye at 90 fps. Not there yet.

There is a focus on efficiency right now, not brute force with graphics. Consoles are simply at the mercy of the PC's development cadence on this front.

CrazyGPU said:

There also can be a new console with the same resolution, but would it make sense?

Sure it would make sense. More to graphics than resolution.

CrazyGPU said:

It would make sense for us, not for Sony or Msft marketing department. They would go for 8k.

Nice posts Permalite. I think that even your idea of better graphics , let say at 4k 60 fps ultra quality, would have the same hardware demand or even more than 8K if you want a generational leap than 8K gaming mantaining PS4 quality (Im not talking about 8k tetris here). And  that in order to be in a console power envelope and at reasonable console prices, It would take many years. Thats one of the reasons why I think PS5 wil have the longest lifecicle. That doesn´t mean that sony can´t lauch PS5 pro, PS5 ultra, and PS5 ultimate, upgrading the cash making machinery before PS6 hehehe.

I hope Im wrong and they change the way they make processors, that would make the premium next gen 4k graphics or 8k requirements come closer, but I doubt it for PS6.  And besides that in 20 years we´ll probably have streaming gaming all over the place. I will miss old times then.

Last edited by CrazyGPU - on 12 February 2018

Possible since we’re reaching a certain level of quality where improvements get less and less noticeable or even needed. That said potential improvements on the VR/AR front are huge, so yeah....no.

Hiku said:
CrazyGPU said:

1 nm is the size of 10 Hidrogen atoms. So we are talking sizes of 70 atoms for a transistor. They don´t have much room left for miniaturization.

PS5 will be used as a Hydrogen bomb confirmed.

CrazyGPU said:

FOR A PS6 TO HAVE A REASON TO EXIST , it should be a 8k console.

I think the way you reached this conclusion was pretty farfetched. Pemalite said most of it, but I want to point out that the size of out TV's are not the primary reasons for new consoles to come out.

Is the only reason SNES exists so that people could play it on larger TV's? Because people kept playing on the same TV's for generations. Some times literally the same TV's up until PS1/PS2, when they just stopped working due to old age.
The only exception to this really was when the HD consoles came out. And it wasn't specifically 720p or 1080p, because both PS3/360 and PS4/XBO work fine for both formats to this day. It was just that you had to get an HD TV. That was it.

Around the time PS3 came out, 1080p TV's were already pretty common and cheap. For me there was no change in TV between PS3 and PS4.
And to this day you have some games that are sub 1080p on PS4, and very commonly on Xbox One. And some people still game on 32" TV's, and their experience compared to people who have bigger TV's isn't the equivalent of going from an SD TV to an HD TV.
The most preferred way to play Switch is portable (720p) mode. Etc.

New consoles have not had their existence tied to new TV trends in the past, and they don't have to in the future.

Great post. I somewhat agree with you.

The prediction is that ps5 will have the longest lifecicle. You have to justify a new gen. At least It would be great if we have a real new gen.

NES had better CPU, Better graphics, more ram. That alone doesn´t make a new gen, you need games that take advantage of that. New ways of playing (aka wii, Swith, psvr), new experiences, and most consoles (not nintendo recently) achieve that with bigger worlds, more character interaction (need more cpu, physics and ram),  more content (from cartridges to DVD , blue rays) and better graphics (better graphic card or gpu). 

Let say PS5 has a Ryzen CPU, (much better than atom or jaguar shitty cores). 24 - 32 GB of ram,  2TB hard drive, 4k Blue Ray and a 10 Teraflop capable GPU.

Would that be enough for a new experience? would that be a gen jump like the old ones before it? could be , but I see diminishing returns. Anyway, PS5 is in developement, It´s happening. And let say PS5 took 7 years since PS4. It does´n look like an awesome leap if it has the specs shown above. 

Luckily 3 times the CPU power. 5 times the GPU power, 4 times the amount of ram. A far cry from older gen jumps. Now I dont prentend to be extremely precise here, or Permalite would correct every world. hehe.

Now let say we are now in 2020. how long it would take to have a machine capable of being a true next gen, with a reason to exist, a PS6 that makes the PS5 look obsolete and people wanting to buy it? I say longer than any other PS before it. 9 years probably. Unless suddenly they start making processors diferently, and those things still take time. Again, Im not saying that there won´t be PS5 pro , ultra or megadeath after PS5.  That PS6 machine as marketing goes now, will have to have a graphic jump to justify next gen, next gen 4k, or ultra quality 4k 60 fps if you like, for that it needs the same requirements as for 8k medium settings, thats why I say that it needs to be 8k. I just dont see people investing in new consoles just because it has more ram or more cpu power to make better worlds.

What happend  from ps3 to ps4. When you take full advantage of cell processor on ps3 its not very different performance wise than ps4 processor. But graphic card took a leap from arround 240 megaflops to 1840. Why? because Sony decided that PS4 needed better graphics, cause people get caught by it.

Does ps4 games have much better CPU physics? hello, Call of duty modern warfare, call of duty WW2? Uncharted 3 vs Uncharted  4? Gran Turismo 5 vs GT sports? No. But surelly all those games have better graphics. And thats why I put graphics first as a requirement for a next gen console. Most men see boobs and buts before getting to know the girl. same with games. So whatever, PS6 would need next gen ultra 4k or 8k and many other stuff to justify its existence after PS5 and it will take a hell of time to make it. Otherwise they can make an unjustifiable next gen just for selling something.

Last edited by CrazyGPU - on 12 February 2018

Can you go back and sort your reply to mine? Your quotes are all over the place and I can't be arsed reading/replying to that.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Can you go back and sort your reply to mine? Your quotes are all over the place and I can't be arsed reading/replying to that.

I just wrote and reply under each of your replies. So you have my quote, your reply and my reply, then the next one. I tried to order it better but I don´t know that much HTML to do it. when I quote the paragraph, I dont get the option to quote again  to reply another sector. 

I´ll try with multiquote when I have time. 

Last edited by CrazyGPU - on 13 February 2018