By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is existence?

As for existence, it is what it is.

Around the Network

Existence is tedious and a lot of work for a couple seconds of pleasure every now and then.

Ka-pi96 said:
jason1637 said:

Well because I believe God is the creator of all things and that he has always existed and other things were created by him.

Yes I refer to cars and boats as he.

That doesn't preclude the possibility of there being another similar being that didn't create anything or interfere with anything yet still exists though, does it?

If God created everything there can't be another being that didn't create anything because God would have had to create him first.

jason1637 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

That doesn't preclude the possibility of there being another similar being that didn't create anything or interfere with anything yet still exists though, does it?

If God created everything there can't be another being that didn't create anything because God would have had to create him first.

Did God create himself? Or did he already exist? If he did, what is time? Is time a cycle, or a line?

Ka-pi96 said:
jason1637 said:

But you said that they didn't create themselves, so clearly they didn't create absolutely everything.

The idea of selfcreation? In religion the timeless divinity and in science the Universe that spawned itself. Foreign to neither.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
jason1637 said:

Did God create himself? Or did he already exist? If he did, what is time? Is time a cycle, or a line?

I think he just existed but I'm not 100% sure since I haven't meet him yet. And I see time as a line.

Existence is simply consciousness or a sense of awareness regardless if you believe in a god or not. Animal and machine can also become sentient or exist in the same sense as humans. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Aeolus451 said:
Existence is simply consciousness or a sense of awareness regardless if you believe in a god or not. Animal and machine can also become sentient or exist in the same sense as humans. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Pretty logical opinion to be honest. Absolutely no reason to believe machines won't understand their own existence in time. I'm sure the human brain is being studied and as time goes by the logic patterns of the human mind will be mapped and replicated artificially. It's certainly nothing incredible to expect that. DNA itself holds the design instructions.

We might think differently about ourselves when the human mind is so analysed that AI can even predict our responses.

Maybe in 200 years we will be playing Fallout 125 and the opponents in the game actually have equal intelligence to the person playing the game. The morality and ethics of that would be quite controversial especially as that simulated mind is constantly put through trauma and death and only actually existing when you play the game which completely trivialises their existence.

Existence is defined by a perspective. It is a purely relative notion.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

bonzobanana said:
Aeolus451 said:

Pretty logical opinion to be honest. Absolutely no reason to believe machines won't understand their own existence in time. I'm sure the human brain is being studied and as time goes by the logic patterns of the human mind will be mapped and replicated artificially. It's certainly nothing incredible to expect that. DNA itself holds the design instructions.

We might think differently about ourselves when the human mind is so analysed that AI can even predict our responses.

Maybe in 200 years we will be playing Fallout 125 and the opponents in the game actually have equal intelligence to the person playing the game. The morality and ethics of that would be quite controversial especially as that simulated mind is constantly put through trauma and death and only actually existing when you play the game which completely trivialises their existence.

It will definitely force us to rethink morality and ethics. We'll likely debate it over centuries. With AI, I think we'll limit the intelligence and the ability to think beyond its purpose to prevent self-awareness or becoming conscious.