By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is existence?

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

No, but they would have one less if it wasn't for the males. Which is the default gender btw.

On what basis? Other than sexism...

You're doing it again. Stop ignoring the facts written in the bible.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Can someone show me the laws of causality, I would like to touch them.

Paperboy_J said:
We're here, so it's reasonable to assume there's a reason for it.  

So you're annoyed by a bad argument but you make possibly the worst argument ever made for the existence of god? Nice. What will you follow up next with, "The beauty of this world is grand, therefore god!" ? 

Ka-pi96 said:
jason1637 said:

He exists but he's always been around. Male is the default gender IMO.

So not everything was created by him/her? Does that not leave the possibility that there are other things that have always been around then?

How is male the default gender? Not only does it need an alternative chromosome (ie. female is XX, both the same while male is XY needs something in addition to the default chromosome), but only females are capable of giving birth and feeding their offspring. Females are simply more important when it comes to reproduction and the continued survival of a species. An all female species is much more feasible than an all male species.

That's all good scientific points but women are a bit rubbish though aren't they, not being responsible for much of invention, great literature or science etc. 

Saw something the other day that seemed to suggest the earth was only capable of another 200-300 million years of life before life would be extinguished (not a man-made situation just an end to being habitable due the sun etc or other factors). Made me think how vulnerable life is and how the Universe develops and destroys life and perhaps how many other civilisations have come and gone. We still don't know the full story of life on Earth, we know it evolves but still not sure about its very beginning. Some believe it may have started on Mars when the planet was more habitable. Admittedly it probably started on Earth but we don't know with certainty. It's still pretty incredible that there has been billions of years for many civilisations to have developed and travelled between the stars and yet there is simply no actual evidence of anything out there so far. 

Give it 10,000 years if we survive I'm sure humans will have colonised a lot of our area of the milky way and humanity will change so intensively to adapt to  live in different star systems that we will become the aliens ourselves, some giants, some tiny, big eyes, small eyes etc. The variations will be huge. Especially when we fully understand genetics and will simply design what we want to be. If I was a robot with an electronic replica of a human brain then Mars is ready to colonise today. I wouldn't need an atmosphere or care about radiation. Give it a 1000 years and the after life may just be a digital transmission of your mind to another star system where you are reborn as a synthetic human and colonist.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

You're doing it again. Stop ignoring the facts written in the bible.

Oh... I thought you were better than that Vivy

Of course I am better. I was made in God's image.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I think existence is exactly what a lot of people tend to believe it to be. It's just the act of being a functioning human being who can process a "conscious". I think we might be in control of ourselves a little bit less than we like to think due to the chemical functions in our brain that more or less effect our actions and possibly even our conscious, but yeah it's pretty much what we already believe it to be. The whole idea that "I think, therefore I am" raises questions about other people's existences is pointless, because even if we could somehow scientifically prove some of these age old questions about ourselves you can never really directly prove in the existence of anything. Someone presented with evidence that a human exists could still say it doesn't because of x and y reasons,and you can't really "disprove" that, just like you can't prove those crazy "we're in the matrix!" theories. Ultimately though we're lucky that for most people the mere act of seeing a human is enough to believe in their existence.

When you die you die.

Ka-pi96 said:
jason1637 said:

So not everything was created by him/her? Does that not leave the possibility that there are other things that have always been around then?

How is male the default gender? Not only does it need an alternative chromosome (ie. female is XX, both the same while male is XY needs something in addition to the default chromosome), but only females are capable of giving birth and feeding their offspring. Females are simply more important when it comes to reproduction and the continued survival of a species. An all female species is much more feasible than an all male species.

Well God created everything else that has been around so it doesn't leave that possibility.

Male is the default gender I use to describe things. For example if someone told me something about someone else o usually refer to that someone else as a he by default.

RJ_Sizzle said:
jason1637 said:
I think God is the creator of all things and whatever he creates is existence.

What if humans had created God. The gods that people worship and revere come of the texts and tales of men.

I don't think that's the case.

VGPolyglot said:
jason1637 said:

God created humans and humans created these things so they exist.

So, what about ideas then? Do ideas exist?

God created humans with the ability to have ideas so yeah they exist.

Ka-pi96 said:
jason1637 said:

Well God created everything else that has been around so it doesn't leave that possibility.

Male is the default gender I use to describe things. For example if someone told me something about someone else o usually refer to that someone else as a he by default.

So he/she wasn't created by anything and has always been there, but there's no possibility that anything else could have always been there and not been created by anything else? Why not? Because you haven't seen them? Because they haven't made contact with humanity? Does that really mean that they can't exist?

What gender do you use to refer to cars/boats? I've only ever heard people say "she" for those

Well because I believe God is the creator of all things and that he has always existed and other things were created by him.

Yes I refer to cars and boats as he.

Paperboy_J said:
We're here, so it's reasonable to assume there's a reason for it. It annoys me so much when people say, "I can't see God therefore he doesn't exist." You don't have to SEE everything with your own eyes to put 2 and 2 together. When you see an airplane flying above you, do you assume there's no pilot just because you can't see him from your current perspective?

No, you automatically KNOW there's a pilot because without a pilot, the plane could not fly.

You don't know, it is your assumption, based on everyday life experience. You ve seen many planes and many pilots before. How many Universes and Gods and their work have you witnessed?

Hunting Season is done...

jason1637 said: 
Ka-pi96 said:

So did he create himself as well? Or since he didn't create himself does that mean he doesn't exist?

Also, shouldn't it be she? Ya know, since female is the default gender.

No, the female form is the default sex. Female is the template.

This is why men have nipples.