By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is existence?

spurgeonryan said:
We exist because gas blew up trillions of years ago and we evolved into people from that explosion.

Are you saying God had some kind of flatulence problem?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Poor humans, lost in a sea of eternity, weak and small, ignorant of the very reason of their existence. Forced to deal with their ignorance by creating religion so they can feel they are part of something and that somehow it all makes sense.

Primitive fools who think they own or control anything but themselves, writhing and squirming like worms on the surface of a tiny blue ball lost in the immensity of time and space.

Ephemeral creatures whose existence is but a by-product of the cosmos, why do you think you matter? Why do you think that what you do can make any kind of difference other than to your own egos?

Living and dying is your eternal doom, pondering the meaning of your insignificant existence is your prerogative but can you ever find the answers? Can you ever contemplate the truths of all that is? Do you wish to see past the surface of the mirror? Do you think you could take it if somehow you could see?

Ka-pi96 said:
jason1637 said:

He exists but he's always been around. Male is the default gender IMO.

So not everything was created by him/her? Does that not leave the possibility that there are other things that have always been around then?

How is male the default gender? Not only does it need an alternative chromosome (ie. female is XX, both the same while male is XY needs something in addition to the default chromosome), but only females are capable of giving birth and feeding their offspring. Females are simply more important when it comes to reproduction and the continued survival of a species. An all female species is much more feasible than an all male species.

You seem to intentionally pretend that you didn't read the bible.

What did we say about willful ignorance in the mod thread?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

You seem to intentionally pretend that you didn't read the bible.

What did we say about willful ignorance in the mod thread?

Intentionally pretend? Nothing of the sort, I've not read one, so there's nothing to pretend

That act won't do you any favors.

If female is the default gender why would you need an extra male rib to make them? Think!

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Poor humans, lost in a sea of eternity, weak and small, ignorant of the very reason of their existence. Forced to deal with their ignorance by creating religion so they can feel they are part of something and that somehow it all makes sense.

Primitive fools who think they own or control anything but themselves, writhing and squirming like worms on the surface of a tiny blue ball lost in the immensity of time and space.

Ephemeral creatures whose existence is but a by-product of the cosmos, why do you think you matter? Why do you think that what you do can make any kind of difference other than to your own egos?

Living and dying is your eternal doom, pondering the meaning of your insignificant existence is your prerogative but can you ever find the answers? Can you ever contemplate the truths of all that is? Do you wish to see past the surface of the mirror? Do you think you could take it if somehow you could see?

And what exactly is this "cosmos" you speak of?  Where did it come from?  Why is it a thing at all?

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
I think God is the creator of all things and whatever he creates is existence.

What if humans had created God. The gods that people worship and revere come of the texts and tales of men.

VGPolyglot said:
jason1637 said:
I think God is the creator of all things and whatever he creates is existence.

So, what about things that humans create then after being created? Do those not exist since it was not directly created by God?

Humans never really "create" anything.  We merely take that which already exists and manipulate it, that's all.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

That act won't do you any favors.

If female is the default gender why would you need an extra male rib to make them? Think!

Are you saying females have more ribs than males? Can't say I've ever counted how many ribs either gender has

No, but they would have one less if it wasn't for the males. Which is the default gender btw.

For all I care, it doesn't matter. It feels like I exist and think, and that's good enough for me. It's not like I can do anything about the situation either, so thinking about is relatively pointless. Of course if there's a way to really quantify existence, sure, I'd like to see the conclusions - I'm sure they're interesting, but simply not important.

We're here, so it's reasonable to assume there's a reason for it. It annoys me so much when people say, "I can't see God therefore he doesn't exist." You don't have to SEE everything with your own eyes to put 2 and 2 together. When you see an airplane flying above you, do you assume there's no pilot just because you can't see him from your current perspective?

No, you automatically KNOW there's a pilot because without a pilot, the plane could not fly.