By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Black Panther Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic (100% and 87 currently)

Do you plan on seeing Black Panther?

Yes! Opening weekend 23 33.82%

I'll see it in theaters at some point 21 30.88%

Netflix? Or Other 8 11.76%

Meh, no interest 16 23.53%

Total:68
SecondWar said:
Just seen git back for the cinema. Definitely one of the top films in the MCU, and Kilmonger is a great villian, which seems to be a rare occurrence in the series.

Down points are Martin Freeman's accent and a cringingly obvious CGI Rhino.

Yeah Killmonger is an excellent villain. Which is a rarity in the MCU.

Around the Network

The movie was excellent, easily rests slightly beneath the Guardians films for the best in the MCU.

Teeqoz said:
Ganoncrotch said:
Just came from seeing this, was really good, slightly less jokes than your standard marvel movie for better or worse but still, rather cool movie

Actually I thought it was a lot less, not just slightly less. Most of the movie had a rather serious tone to it. There were some exceptions, but the half-teasing sibling thing made it seem quite natural.

You may be thinking in terms of Guardians and Thor in comparison to other MCU movies its slightly less the jokes in BP however are in a more natural manner however which is why they don't feel out of place given the film's tone which was surprisingly executed really well. from the villain's motives to the dilemma BP faces.

For anyone who has seen the movie am I the only one who gets the subtle hints that the Soul Stone is in the meteor?

Wyrdness said:
Teeqoz said:

Actually I thought it was a lot less, not just slightly less. Most of the movie had a rather serious tone to it. There were some exceptions, but the half-teasing sibling thing made it seem quite natural.

You may be thinking in terms of Guardians and Thor in comparison to other MCU movies its slightly less the jokes in BP however are in a more natural manner however which is why they don't feel out of place given the film's tone which was surprisingly executed really well. from the villain's motives to the dilemma BP faces.

the villains motive was brilliant.... Help us you pious cunts?!! Really stings to think that they're all living happily in paradise making even more perfect versions of their already perfectly functional futuristic looking tech, while the neighbourhood back in the states hadn't progressed anything other than the basket on the basketball court was updated from a wooden basket to a round one in 30 years? Was pretty decent a reflection on how some people are just forgotten as the rest of the world advances greatly.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Honestly the movie was excellent. My concerns about it being SJW-y were (mostly) unwarranted and it had nice visual and audio design and compelling characters and world.

As far as Superhero movies though, not nearly as good as Logan.

Last edited by Moren - on 17 February 2018

Ganoncrotch said:
Wyrdness said:

the villains motive was brilliant.... Help us you pious cunts?!! Really stings to think that they're all living happily in paradise making even more perfect versions of their already perfectly functional futuristic looking tech, while the neighbourhood back in the states hadn't progressed anything other than the basket on the basketball court was updated from a wooden basket to a round one in 30 years? Was pretty decent a reflection on how some people are just forgotten as the rest of the world advances greatly.

Even better was the character development they gave the villain it made the whole thing less black and white which I don't think other MCU films do.

Personally, I thought the film was just alright. I think the word that describes it best is lackluster. Definitely not bad, but not very good, either.  It had some good parts in it, and the villain's motives were really good, but the pacing was just off. And there were very few attempts at humor, which only about half of them landed. They should have had a lot more of Winston Duke, cause all his attempts at humor really landed, and he has a great presence. I hope he's featured in IW. The end credit scenes were VERY lackluster, too. I mean, this is the film right before Avengers:IW, and you're telling me you didn't go for a big end credit scene to lead into that one? Also, what's up with all the Saimi Spider-Man-esque CGI? That movie came out in the early 2000's, which is its excuse, but it's 2018 for goodness sakes. I think even the first Iron Man had better CGI than this film.

I think if this had come out around the time that the first Iron Man and Captain America films came out, a lot of this would have been more forgivable, as its an origin story and Marvel was trying to find the right balance in its films. But, this has just come out right after the excellent Thor:R film, which had a great balance of humor, action, and story. And it's the film leading up to IW, which is going to be huge.  Overall, it just felt like one of those early films, where the pacing was just a little more uneven, and some of the action left something to be desired.

This movie is definitely going to still do well. Should have a great debut, though, I am expecting a decent sized drop next weekend. Probably ~60%.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 17 February 2018

morenoingrato said:

Honestly the movie was excellent. My concerns about it being SJW-y were (mostly) unwarranted and it had nice visual and audio design and compelling characters and world.

As far as Superhero movies though, not nearly as good as Logan.

seing it tonight. this is what im worried about.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Just saw it and liked it. Finally a movie with a story which offers some themes to think about. Not very deep, but  much more than an typical movie today.