By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "We want to convert Halo fans into Bungie fans"

Omac said:

Still doesn't mean every Halo fan doen't no shit about Bungie.  Hell I've meet a lot of GS employees that don't know shit about old stuff, or are just really bias.  I was in line with 5 of my buds, and they know about Bungies old stuff.  I'm sure there are a lot more people out there like me. 

Please stop inventing bizarre absolutes that I didn't say and then refute them.

I never once said EVERY Halo fan is ignorant of Bungie. I'm a Halo fan and I sure as fuck know about them.

I said that Halo's mainstream audience is very likely ignorant of them, which I maintain is true enough to be a problem for their future non-Halo games. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Zucas said:
I won't follow them until they can make another good series. You aren't a good developer if all you can make is one good series, which is questionable on how great it was.

Yes, because Halo was Bungie's only landmark series.

Google "Myth" and "Marathon" some time and get back to me.

And next time you're playing an FPS game and use dual wield, mouse look, or regenerating health, you can go ahead and thank Bungie for first implementing those features in an FPS.

Ah yes the great games that no one had ever heard of until after Halo came out and all the Halo fanboys decided to be Bungie fanboys as well and search any game they had ever done and glorify it to the extreme.  Yea that BS gets by some people but not me.  

Just out of the blue they might have been great games(and yes I made my comments above knowing they existed), but apparently they weren't huge otherwise they'd be mentioned everytime we talk about great games.  Fact of the matter is they were either good and innovative games made by a small studio that no one cared about.  How can you define them as good seeing that.  True great games at least make some list over time.  Yet however when hearing great FPS's you hear Doom, Goldeneye 007, Quake, ect.  Not Marathon.

In their own right I'm sure they were good games.  Yet they weren't good enough to be put on the same level as Halo was.  So until you can prove otherwise that they made a cultural phenomenon of a game other than Halo myh point stands.  Otherwise all I hear is fanboys glorifty games either to be better than they actually were or more influential than they actually were when in the time they were overlooked.   

Zucas said: In their own right I'm sure they were good games.  Yet they weren't good enough to be put on the same level as Halo was.  So until you can prove otherwise that they made a cultural phenomenon of a game other than Halo myh point stands.  Otherwise all I hear is fanboys glorifty games either to be better than they actually were or more influential than they actually were when in the time they were overlooked.   

So let me get this straight...

Since "American Idol" is a cultural phenomenon, that somehow negates the fact that it's the biggest pile of unrelenting shit to ever be excreted onto broadcasting?

And by your logic, Britney Spears must be a talented singer and a fantastic role model, since she hasn't been "overlooked" and therefore must be chock full of redeeming qualities.

The simple fact is that good games aren't necessarily popular games, quite the opposite, in fact. It's typically the little games from little companies no one has heard of which not only wind up being awesome but wind up being ripped off by bigger companies that can reach a broader audience. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks