By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "We want to convert Halo fans into Bungie fans"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=186738

Over 750,000 people played Halo 3 in the last 24 hours - so it's fair to say that Bungie has a pretty gargantuan community.

But even with one of the biggest shooter fanbases in consoles, Bungie acknowledges that it faces a big problem splitting from Microsoft and its fully-owned Halo IP. Will the Halo 3 players follow Bungie onto the next game, or will they be left behind with Microsoft?

"Not everyone that buys Halo knows what Bungie is," community lead Brian Jarrard told Edge magazine. "We want to convert Halo fans into Bungie fans and so we'll take them with us when we do the next game."

In a recent podcast, the Halo dev revealed that it's next game will be "totally different" from Halo, perhaps another concern over whether or not the massive community will stick around.

PGR studio Bizarre Creations, who also split from Microsoft, expressed similar concerns over transferring its community to the next, non-Microsoft published game.

"When [PGR3] was released [we were afraid that] it would just become Microsoft's community and then, when we worked on the next game, we wouldn't be able to haul those people over to it and be able to keep them interested in Bizarre," community man Ben Ward told Edge. "That's difficult when you're independent."

Edge Issues 188, which contains a whole four pages of discussion over this community stuff, is in shops now.

Around the Network

Who's Bungie??

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:
Who's Bungie??

you forgot to follow the lead of your sig.  (/sarcasm)  At least I hope it was.

Anyhow - a big Halo fan here that will follow Bungie IF I like the product.  I've played hundreds and hundreds of hours of the Halo franchise, on and offline and LAN and always have fun.  I also spend time in the Bungie community forums often, and was part of their Friends and Family pre-beta beta for Halo 3. 

But even with all that,  it depends on the game they make.  If they make the next Pokemon, Carnival Games or Virtua Fighter I ain't buying it, because I don't like those styles of games. 

I don't know why since they've done mostly FPS work,  but I could see them doing something Open World and RPG-ish without being a true RPG. 

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Well I really liked their "Myth" series back in the day. :)
I wasn't really into computer gaming when their "Marathon" series was out, but it was supposed to have been really good back then.

I wonder if they'll do a different fps(Marathon/Halo-type) or something like Myth again or something just completely different?

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

If they make more games like Oni, they will never accomplish their dreams. That game was way too bad. It felt like it was imcomplete. Anyways, I never enjoyed a Bungie game so my opinion is worthless for them.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

you know...all they have to do is have the words "from the creators of Halo" in large print(same size as title) on their next game

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

ItsaMii said:
If they make more games like Oni, they will never accomplish their dreams. That game was way too bad. It felt like it was imcomplete. Anyways, I never enjoyed a Bungie game so my opinion is worthless for them.

True since they're talking about Halo fans.

I think microsoft should buy bungie *cough* *cough*

It will be their biggest f*** up if they don't, besides vista, and rrod.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
I think microsoft should buy bungie *cough* *cough*

It will be their biggest f*** up if they don't, besides vista, and rrod.

If Bungie wanted to be bought they would have been already, they just didn't want to make Halo constantly and forever (which is what MS probably wanted them to do). Either way, it shouldn't matter since Bungie are likely to make game for the 360 (and PC) exclusively.

Bring on the marathon remake. I'd buy that in a second!