By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft ditches Windows 10 S in favour of a new S Mode

SegataSanshiro said:
I never use Window Store. It's trash. All my programs are from elsewhere.

^this

Around the Network

I'm glad I didn't upgrade to W10, every time I hear things about that OS, they are bad news.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

JRPGfan said:
Does this mean if you buy a laptop,desktop from most places (stores) in the future, you wont be able to run win32 programs?

No. It means you have to change the settings in control panel, restart and you're done for life. Seriously, people are blowing this out of proportion. This just means no configuration issues for Tablet or casual W10 users. If you're a power user, just change the setting, reboot and you'll have good old Windows 10 Ultimate back online until you decide you want to go back to it... 

AsGryffynn said:
So, they are essentially dumbing the system down for casuals who use their stuff out of the box?

It's official, we've become Apple!

This is so depressing...

It's actually a little wierd to be a mac user and be on the more open system. I mean iOS is closed off, but while the Apple store is on every macOS by default, you don't really have to use it at all. Very few Apps that I use are actually from the app store. No 'upgrade fee' required either, it's completely ignorable for now.

I just hope that windows crackdown on the OS doesn't negatively impact the Apple side of things. I can definitively see that becoming a problem if these gated off OSes become an industry standart.

AsGryffynn said:
JRPGfan said:
Does this mean if you buy a laptop,desktop from most places (stores) in the future, you wont be able to run win32 programs?

No. It means you have to change the settings in control panel, restart and you're done for life. Seriously, people are blowing this out of proportion. This just means no configuration issues for Tablet or casual W10 users. If you're a power user, just change the setting, reboot and you'll have good old Windows 10 Ultimate back online until you decide you want to go back to it... 

Oh that makes much more sense. Its to try and get windows on more tablets.

Personally I hate.... haaate apps, and the windows store so... yeah. Im not a fan of uwp either.
No more win32/64 programs would suck so much.

The day windows takes away the ability to run programs like that, I think i ll switch over to linux.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
SegataSanshiro said:
I never use Window Store. It's trash. All my programs are from elsewhere.

^this

Pretty much. Anyone who relies on that for their programs shouldn't really have a PC.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

No matter of the scope of this, this is exactly why I moved to Linux: fundamentally, Windows 10 is not bad, it's just that its complete subservience to any Microsoft decision is bad.

No longer buy anything MS, it's all good.

SuperNova said:
AsGryffynn said:
So, they are essentially dumbing the system down for casuals who use their stuff out of the box?

It's official, we've become Apple!

This is so depressing...

It's actually a little wierd to be a mac user and be on the more open system. I mean iOS is closed off, but while the Apple store is on every macOS by default, you don't really have to use it at all. Very few Apps that I use are actually from the app store. No 'upgrade fee' required either, it's completely ignorable for now.

I just hope that windows crackdown on the OS doesn't negatively impact the Apple side of things. I can definitively see that becoming a problem if these gated off OSes become an industry standart.

You're referring to Mac OS, not iOS. You can't run non App Store programs on an iOS system without rooting it... Also, this is a mode you can toggle off and go back to using Windows 95 NFS ISOs... 

JRPGfan said:
AsGryffynn said:

Oh that makes much more sense. Its to try and get windows on more tablets.

Personally I hate.... haaate apps, and the windows store so... yeah. Im not a fan of uwp either.
No more win32/64 programs would suck so much.

The day windows takes away the ability to run programs like that, I think i ll switch over to linux.

They can't. Windows Kernels are all built around Win32 software. They'd have to design a new OS to block that option off and MS isn't insane or suicidal. This is probably for the dumbed down, dumb side of our generation who wants to unbox the tablet, plug it in and press the on button to log onto Twitter five minutes afterwards. 

And I hate apps so much I refuse to use the word App. I call them programs and will until the day I die. Programs rock. Apps are for idiots who can't spell application. 

Zkuq said:

Shitstorm incoming if Steam can't even be installed by default. Also, this is really bad for consumers. It will slowly shift the focus from traditional software to UWP apps (because no on wants their app to require switching a setting before it can even be installed) and essentially give Microsoft monopoly in distributing Windows software (UWP apps can't, by default, installed from outside Microsoft Store, and that's probably never going to change).

Also, the new pricing model sounds like a double-edged sword. On one hand, it makes Windows cheaper on cheap devices, but on the other hand, it could make upgrading your PC a pain if you need to upgrade Windows too.

I swear for everything Microsoft gets right with Windows 10, there's something bad as well, and occassionally there's at least a small shitstorm too.

Hiku said:
Does that mean you won't be able to use Steam?

That's exactly one of the implications of this. Steam is a Win32 app, and all the games on it are too. Oh, and all Windows games sold outside Microsoft Store are Win32 apps. Everything you don't get from Microsoft Store is a Win32 app.

It’s completely wrong since creators update I suppose. If a developer wants, he can pack his UWP app into .appx bundle and distribute it everywhere (almost). The user can download this file and install it with double click just like the normal win32 app but without going through installers.