By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft ditches Windows 10 S in favour of a new S Mode

NATO said:
KBG29 said:
There are very few people I know that will never need to go outside of the Windows Store for software on their PC. 

Are you new to pc gaming or something?

No, just sadists lol.

Around the Network
NATO said:
KBG29 said:
There are very few people I know that will never need to go outside of the Windows Store for software on their PC. 

Not everything is about gaming. I know very few people that game on PC outside of Facebook. For most people they will find everything they need in the Windows Store, even games. For those that want more, they always have the option to unlock their system.

To answer your question, no, I am not new to PC gaming, I know the mess of 3rd party apps required for PC gaming, and it is a huge part of why I left. I think Microsoft establishing some sort of order makes the platform much more attractive, but I will stick with Xbox for my MS needs for the time being.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

AlfredoTurkey said:
NATO said:

No, just sadists lol.

There's a bunch of them, it's unnerving that people not only limit themselves to the windows store, but support doing so as well.

They're the vegans of the gaming world.

KBG29 said:

To answer your question, no, I am not new to PC gaming, I know the mess of 3rd party apps required for PC gaming, and it is a huge part of why I left. I think Microsoft establishing some sort of order makes the platform much more attractive, but I will stick with Xbox for my MS needs for the time being.

The mess you talk about is Steam plus a maximum of about two other apps (Origin and uPlay), which I'd hardly call a mess. Sure, if you need something other than Steam, it sure is inconvenient, but it's definitely not a mess. Also, Microsoft 'establishing some sort of order' is making Windows less attractive in the short term: Microsoft basically has just one more app you need for playing games, and it's one that most existing PC gamers would rather not use. What Microsoft is doing might make PC more attractive as a gaming platform in the long run, but it's going to take a lot more than just that to really make it more attractive.

AsGryffynn said:
SuperNova said:

It's actually a little wierd to be a mac user and be on the more open system. I mean iOS is closed off, but while the Apple store is on every macOS by default, you don't really have to use it at all. Very few Apps that I use are actually from the app store. No 'upgrade fee' required either, it's completely ignorable for now.

I just hope that windows crackdown on the OS doesn't negatively impact the Apple side of things. I can definitively see that becoming a problem if these gated off OSes become an industry standart.

You're referring to Mac OS, not iOS. You can't run non App Store programs on an iOS system without rooting it... Also, this is a mode you can toggle off and go back to using Windows 95 NFS ISOs... 

JRPGfan said:

Oh that makes much more sense. Its to try and get windows on more tablets.

Personally I hate.... haaate apps, and the windows store so... yeah. Im not a fan of uwp either.
No more win32/64 programs would suck so much.

The day windows takes away the ability to run programs like that, I think i ll switch over to linux.

They can't. Windows Kernels are all built around Win32 software. They'd have to design a new OS to block that option off and MS isn't insane or suicidal. This is probably for the dumbed down, dumb side of our generation who wants to unbox the tablet, plug it in and press the on button to log onto Twitter five minutes afterwards. 

And I hate apps so much I refuse to use the word App. I call them programs and will until the day I die. Programs rock. Apps are for idiots who can't spell application. 

Did.....did you actually read my post? Of course I was referring to MacOS.

iOS is closed off, but while the Apple store is on every macOS by default, you don't really have to use it at all‘

I was saying that, while IOS is a closed eco-system MacOS is not, and that I‘m hoping that it stays that way in the face of windows taking steps to close their traditionally open OS.

I was contrasting iOS closed off nature to MacOS and windows open one. I‘m also aware that for now it’s a toggle, but a closed eco-system is clearly the direction MS wants to go and I‘m concerned about the larger market implications.

Around the Network
fielding88 said:
The_Yoda said:

How about a free DVD player or codecs since those no longer come with windows.

Right, but you said someone who isn't tech-savvy. You have to be pretty tech-savvy to hunt down codecs. I'd assume that if you're tech savvy enough to know about codecs, you can update your computer out of S

You're right as far as codecs are concerned. After I hit submit I thought about editing the codecs part out.  The lack of a DVD player since Windows 7 (i think it was)  annoys me. 

I still don't see blocking choices from the non-tech savvy consumer as a good thing. Like I said before it still seems like taking advantage of them to me.