By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NPD sales: Switch (2018) VS Wii (2008)

Switch sales in USA in 2018?

4 million or less 6 8.00%

4-5 million 4 5.33%

5-6 million 14 18.67%

6-7 million 16 21.33%

7-8 million 11 14.67%

8-9 million 7 9.33%

9-10 million 7 9.33%

over 10 million 10 13.33%

Total:75
RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

Ya some people dont seem to understand the difference between calender year sales and fiscal year shipments.

More importantly, Nintendo's goal has yet to be specified as there's nothing official. The 20m figure gets brought up repeatedly because of what Kimishima said in an interview with a newspaper, but that's not a company announcement.

Yep this is true, no official forcasts have been given for next FY.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

quickrick meltdown is premature. We don't even have numbers, I think only revenue was officially confirmed.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

zorg1000 said:
RolStoppable said:

More importantly, Nintendo's goal has yet to be specified as there's nothing official. The 20m figure gets brought up repeatedly because of what Kimishima said in an interview with a newspaper, but that's not a company announcement.

Well, while we don't know this yet, it is very likely it will be AT LEAST 20 million.

I think they'll start conservate like last year when they predicted 10 million (ending shipping 15 million or more), and start with 20 million. If sales will be better than expect, as i personally think they will, they will increase the prediction to 22-25 million, or whatever they expect.

Ryng_Tolu said:
zorg1000 said:

Well, while we don't know this yet, it is very likely it will be AT LEAST 20 million.

I think they'll start conservate like last year when they predicted 10 million (ending shipping 15 million or more), and start with 20 million. If sales will be better than expect, as i personally think they will, they will increase the prediction to 22-25 million, or whatever they expect.

Ya its very possible but its also possible that they forcast 18 million as well.

The point is that its kinda silly to use the 20 million figure when we have no idea what the actual forcast will be.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Ya its very possible but its also possible that they forcast 18 million as well.

The point is that its kinda silly to use the 20 million figure when we have no idea what the actual forcast will be.

To me, people should not even get so much into forcast as they do. Because for real, at one point last year the situation was ridiculus.

I predicted 15 million Switch before the forcast, and i never decreased this prediction, even after the 10m forcast, but everyone were talking about that 10m forcast like if that was guaranteed. And they ALWAYS does that, they does not realize they can as well beat that, and by a huge margin too. Even when it was clear they would have shipped way more than 10 million, they were still talking about Switch sales as if it would ship 12.74 million by the end of March, while now we are looking at 18 million

Let's say Nintendo forcast 10 million again for this FY, which would put Switch lifetime sales at... around 28m? Something like that. That would be FOR SURE stupid and Nintendo would easy destroy that forcast, yet you can be sure most people will just talk about Switch sales as if it will be at 28m by March 2019.

That's why i don't even look too much at forecast for make a prediction. I predicted 15 million for Switch in 2017 and i was right, so whatever the forecast for this year is by April 2018 (probabily 20m) i won't care about that at all.

Around the Network

January

Wii - 274,000
Switch - 270,000

Ryng_Tolu said:
January

Wii - 274,000
Switch - 270,000

even with a week extra, and wii being supply constrained, it still won, like i said before  switch wont even take 1 month.

RolStoppable said:
quickrick said:

even with a week extra, and wii being supply constrained, it still won, like i said before  switch wont even take 1 month.

I suppose his credibility goes unquestioned if he posts what you want to read.

This.

RolStoppable said:
quickrick said:

Firstly, isn't the above only an estimate? Secondly, the person who made that estimate is the same person you tried to discredit very recently.

I suppose his credibility goes unquestioned if he posts what you want to read.

I never discredited rying, i actually like him. i thinks some of his predictions are ridiculous though, but that's normal. I have no idea, why you would say that. As for the estimate, it's the best we have, and does it really matter, we are comparing 5 week to 4.

Last edited by quickrick - on 01 March 2018

Well, this thread never got updated after January! xD

Here's updated table.

NPD Switch (2018) Wii (2008)
January 270,000 274,000
February 279,000 432,000
March 308,000 721,000
April 171,000 714,000
May 166,000 675,000
June 325,000 667,000
July 263,000 555,000
August 203,000 453,000
September 259,000 667,000
October 255,000 803,000
November
December
 Total 2,499,000 10,151,000

My current prediction for November is 1.25m and December 2m. Which would mean the Switch reached 5.75m for the year.

It has a small chance to beat Wii in December I think, but other then that January is the only month it came close.