By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: 90% of game sales will be online within ten years

I'm going to say 30-35% max.

and online games also have to be at least 30% cheaper than disc version. at this point, I see absolutely no sense in download anything

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

The fanboy reaction is freaking funny.

All demands where the market heads.

Will a huge FF or GT game be downland able i doubt it, but simplistic casual games could very well all be downloads.

I just wanna chime in THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO STILL *CAN'T* PLAY ONLINE!!!! :( (1 among many)

I can honestly say that I would be suprised if I got any *real* broadband by 2020. :(

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

I prefer discs, and I enjoy video game retailers. I hope this is wrong, and I also believe this is wrong.

However, one benefit would be that the majority of hardware issues have historically been caused at points where the disc meets the machine.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I reckon the guy's almost spot on - although I reckon it'll be nearer 75% rather than 90%.

I bought the digital version of Sins of a Solar Empire cos it ain't on sale in the UK yet, it doesn't bother me that I don't own the disc.

You only have to look at the sucess of Steam on the PC to see there is a significant future for online distribution of games and that people are willing to forgo the disc.

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

Around the Network

Japan has much better broadband than America. It's definitely possible for that area, if you think America can compare it can't even comprehend japanese broadband speed. http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0711/ this shows broadband stats for 2007. If I recall correctly Japan already had 1 GB per second broadband in 2004 for around 40 dollars a month.

That website should show which countries could and can't make that 90 percent. I think it's definitely possible for some countries to make it.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

HAHA. Not going to happen in my country.

I think this guy is basing his idea in steam, I mean yes that is a big step for big named games being put online, but to say 90% is a bit out there, I mean it's big on the PC. The PC has had downloadable games since not long after the internet was created, a friend would have a game you download it from his computer and you played it on yours, still many years later we just now finally took that big step which is steam, this guy really needs to put things into prospective.

90% is a big over estimation, plus if games went to download the size of games need to come down or the speed of the average connection of internet will need to increase a lot, not to mention the countless people that love having the physical game, and it would kill consoles (IE kill the business this guy is in) as they would lose the support of companies like Game Stop that make their money off used games. I could go on about the many flaws in this theory but those alone should logically sink this guys claim.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Not gonna happen. I think it's more like 60% within 30 years. I think digital distribution will become the majority of sales, but I don't think it'll break 90% or destroy retail altogether.

until there is some kind of universal cheap internet that rural areas can get, I seriously doubt this will happen.