By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: 90% of game sales will be online within ten years

Even if you believe this is true, why would you tell your brick and mortar retailers you are going to put them out of business? 

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/30165/Sony8200Web-sales-will-rule-by-2018

Sony: Web sales will rule by 2018

Tim Ingham Today, 11:06am

90 per cent of game sales will be online within ten years, says UK boss Maguire as he calls for state action over game ratings

Sony Computer Entertainment UK MD Ray Maguire has predicted that 90 per cent of games sales will be taking place online in ten years’ time.

Speaking at an ELSPA press conference with Dr Tanya Byron last week, Maguire read out his concerns with recommendations in the Byron Review – focusing on his worries with the online space.

“While games are recorded media and we have something on a packet, the recommendations in the Byron Review are okay,” he said.

“But ten years from now the ratio of games sales will have gone from 90 per cent in-store to 90 per cent online.

“Therefore, we have a situation that if you’re a retailer, you’re currently responsible for the goods that come through your chain.

“But that’s not true with ISPs in the future. This isn’t merely a games industry issue. It’s an issue for every industry with companies that have a website – and when we look at user generated content, it’s a people issue.”

Maguire also called for the Government to act, and politely criticised Byron’s decision to make BBFC ratings the ‘consumer facing element’ of all boxed gaming product – for both commercial and ethical reasons.

“We now have these UK BBFC ratings on all products, which is not a good thing in terms of thinking about European trade – that’s something I’ve discussed with you before,” he told Byron.

“But if we have to do that, we have to do that. We accept that. But that will not work online.”

Byron pointed to her recommendation for a UK Council for Child Internet Safety in her reply, and told the audience that “many key members of the games industry” had chosen not to discuss the online future of games with her when she was compiling her research.

Around the Network

if that's true, then wouldn't it be the same situation for ... movies?

I think people are expecting online sales to go off way to fast . Regions like Japan and a big chunk of Europe will not go that easily from retail to online purchases and except the US and West Europe I dont see this to take off that fast . 50% in 10 yeasr could be , but 90% is way to much IMO ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I still like to own a disc.
I can easily sell discs back too, I would do so with Lylat Wars VC if I could (and would probably swap Sonic3 for Sonic2)

Wouldn't this kill Blue-Ray?

Around the Network

Man this guy will be fired :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

online game sales will be similar to the online music industry. With having most games being made online costs will be significantly reduced and will result in cheaper games. Say goodbye to storage, distribution costs.

To bad the world will end before then, huh.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

As long as they're still many people who prefer real discs, donwloadable content will never take over.

Chrizum said:
As long as they're still many people who prefer real discs, donwloadable content will never take over.

But they may not have a choice later on to have it on a media, then what?  Your not going to play games?