By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: 90% of game sales will be online within ten years

I will buy online, but only if I can get it cheaper. Otherwise i prefer disks.

A $60 game that you can trade in or lend to a friend is better than a $60 downloaded game that is tied to just you machine/account.

Around the Network

I will resist. disk > no disk

arcade games and add-ons are one thing. but whole games are pushing it. Take the xbox originals in its online store. I bought a couple of those games brand new for $5 (BestBuy), so they were cheaper even.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Another disruption, I see. But one that's been in the works for long enough that people should've recognized it coming by now. That said, digital distribution will not be able to effectively replace disc-based distribution until somebody devises a way to connect people to broadband internet either for free or for a very low price from their own home.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

What would happen to the WWW if GT6, FFXV, and/or Halo 4 are released online only?

Would it completly fry every network/ISP and send us back to cavemen days?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Expect improved Broadband will allow people to be able to download up to 1GB per minute.

Around the Network

No one thinks ISP will start screwing customers? You can't charge for websites, or game services, so they will bump up internet access charges and start charging per GB.

Its not going to be as it is now. They are going to tap in to whatever is growing, so having everything go online will be a bad thing. Speeds are going to suffer too. They need more money to bring about the speeds were talking about, and the customers are going to pay that bill one way or another.

more like 20%

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

more like 20%

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

thats probably true. There will be no need for the next "blu ray" type optical media next gen, cause it will all be downloads. Maybe sony won't make their next system cost $700 by leaving out "the next blu ray".

I don't know. In many countries, the broadband network is nowhere near good enough in most countries to handle downloadable games. The biggest problem is that although broadband is getting much faster, games are getting much larger at a similar rate. a 50GB game is absolutely infeasible in Australia, It costs somewhere in the order of $100 per month for a broadband plan that would allow you to download 50GB in one month, it would take me five months for example to download 50GB on my current plan.

Also in 10 years, we'll really see developing markets start to open up and buy a lot of stuff, and they certainly won't have the broadband to cope with downloading 100GB games.

Let's not forget that someone has to sell consoles and accessories, and stores always have the advantage of the "walk past and have a browse" that online stores never will. Companies like Nintendo and Sony will have to keep stores happy, for the retail shelf space that makes your console more attractive to the average buyer. I don't see the demise of brick and mortar stores any time soon

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!