By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. February bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Jaxyfoo said:
Tagging. I think 2018 might be Amazon's fail year. I'm beginning to think the Switch demographic does a much larger amount of online buying. Meaning that even months where Big games and offers come in, leading to a PS 4 NPD win, it will still show different on Amazon.

I expect the Npd wins to be close to 50/50 between Switch or PS4 or a close Switch win. But I'm expecting Switch to take 11 out of 12 months on Amazon. We will see over the year though. I'll be glad to be wrong on this prediction.

Interesting you think Switch will win SO MANY months, yet you believe Switch and PS4 are gonna be close.

Personally, i expect Switch to win by a pretty massive lead... but we'll see.

Around the Network
Jaxyfoo said:
Tagging. I think 2018 might be Amazon's fail year. I'm beginning to think the Switch demographic does a much larger amount of online buying. Meaning that even months where Big games and offers come in, leading to a PS 4 NPD win, it will still show different on Amazon.

I expect the Npd wins to be close to 50/50 between Switch or PS4 or a close Switch win. But I'm expecting Switch to take 11 out of 12 months on Amazon. We will see over the year though. I'll be glad to be wrong on this prediction.

The only month or so which Amazon was wrong was November which is the month of the Black Friday where people usually go in stores for deals more than usual.

Jaxyfoo said:
 I'm beginning to think the Switch demographic does a much larger amount of online buying.

I believe this. In fact, I think Switch is represented the most on Amazon out of the 3, closely followed by PS4 with Xbox lagging. I even made a thread about this subject a few years ago about Xbox and PlayStation. I'll link if I can find it. 

Quickrick got mocked for having this opinion recently. 

SWORDF1SH said:
Jaxyfoo said:
 I'm beginning to think the Switch demographic does a much larger amount of online buying.

I believe this. In fact, I think Switch is represented the most on Amazon out of the 3, closely followed by PS4 with Xbox lagging. I even made a thread about this subject a few years ago about Xbox and PlayStation. I'll link if I can find it. 

Because it is silly. Even in November Switch didn't win Amazon. Both Xbox and PS4 had SKU above both colored Switch.

Also they had more SKUs in general.

Whoa, who says Nintendo doesn't lower prices for their games? Odyssey for 48.

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Because it is silly. Even in November Switch didn't win Amazon. Both Xbox and PS4 had SKU above both colored Switch.

Also they had more SKUs in general.

How does that disprove it? Do you understand what I said?

The difference in November was about 800k between the 2 consoles. It would prove my suspicions fully if the Switch was above PS4 then....

I'm not using this argument to attack the Switch. I come from a position of owning one, and having lots of friends who own one. I can see the kind of people who are buying one. Quite a few people I know, I figured were gone from the gaming cycle after going from WIi to phone/tablet gaming. It's nice to see none gamers come back. I hope that doesn't mean a tonne of shovelware party games every month.

No attacks, just a growing feeling that Amazon's predictive powers have been gazumped by the Switch. I simply think Amazon shows about 20% of Nintendo's sales. With PS4/XB1 about 6-8%, and Software maybe a little higher.

It's possibly disproportionate but only by a small amount. That's why it's been a good indicator of sales trends historically, at least in the U.S.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

SWORDF1SH said:
Jaxyfoo said:

No, thats not why he got mocked.

He was saying Amazon is useless because Switch can dominate in the rankings but actually be only slightly ahead in actual sales.

Many people tried to explain to him that Amazon has never been a good indicator for actual sales, just for placement.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
SWORDF1SH said:

No, thats not why he got mocked.

He was saying Amazon is useless because Switch can dominate in the rankings but actually be only slightly ahead in actual sales.

Many people tried to explain to him that Amazon has never been a good indicator for actual sales, just for placement.

He got mocked for a few things and some rightly so. But he also got mocked for stating that Switch positioning on Amazon doesn't truly reflect how well it's doing. I think he even though he explained himself quite well.