By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - SONY Q3 Earnings report

Nintendo 483 billion yen revenue 116 billion profit Sony 2672 billion yen revenue 350 billion profit Seems like Nintendo is nearly twice as profitable per dollar revenue than Sony is. Sony needs to start charging more to catch up

Around the Network
GProgrammer said:
Nintendo 483 billion yen revenue 116 billion profit Sony 2672 billion yen revenue 350 billion profit Seems like Nintendo is nearly twice as profitable per dollar revenue than Sony is. Sony needs to start charging more to catch up

Where did you get these Nintendo numbers from?

First time I've looked at a Sony financial statement. Not surprised their gaming segment is doing well. I find it interesting that they are turning a profit in all of their other segments too though. Good for them.

All departments making profits with all but one having improved numbers over previous year... Kaz will step down having really accomplished his mission.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Great numbers overall, though Sony pictures should be higher with Emoji Movie and Spiderman: Homecoming been out this FY

Around the Network
GProgrammer said:

I don't know where you got those numbers from..... the real numbers are more like this.

• Nintendo total 2017 year 1000bl YEN net sales, 160bl YEN profit
  • Sony GAME division 2017 year 1940bl YEN net sales, 180bl YEN profit
  • SONY corp 2017 year 8500bl YEN net sales, 720bl YEN profit
And the funny thing is that both nintendo and sony has an a near identical market cap at 6.8tril YEN
KBG29 said:
Very nice results. Still made a huge jump in profit even with the $199.99 PS4 and PSVR deals this holiday. A huge portion of that very likely comes from a decent uptick in digital sales as noted. I don't think they will have any issues meeting their shipment targets. Outside of G&NS, things are looking quite well also. Every division was profitable for the first time in ages. Music, Home Entertainment & Sound, and Semiconductors are doing extremely well. Then you have Mobile Communications, what a waste. Narrow profits have fallen even further. Abysmal sales have dropped 20%, from 5.1 Million to 4 Million. All the technology, patents, and resources are being absolutely wasted, as they basically run as a non profit building devices to expand Googles ecosystem. This division needs to be rolled into G&NS and the technology and patents used to build mobile devices around the PlayStation Architecture and OS. Killing off Vita to focus mobile efforts on Xperia is the worst move in company history, and has cost them over 5 billion dollars. It is time to kill this sink hole, and change course to a stratagy that can actually start to make back the losses, and turn around sales.

The cannot just ignore the mobile phone market. Its simply too big a market to ignore. They however need to take it more seriously. Like they are just not being competitive in where it counts as far as mobile phones go. Take for instance, the Xperia line has looked identical since 2011 or so. Thats just not cutting it, every major trend in cell phone market has been ignored and poorly implemented. Like they are making phones for who I do not know. Honestly shocks me they even still manage to sell 4M of them.

UltimateGamer1982 said:
quickrick said:
Sony shipped 9 million, totaling 76.5 million LTD.

A decline of 700k consoles last year. Not bad though. Didn’t they raise their internal forecast to 79m ending March 31st? So that’s 2.5m more needed in approximately two months. They should make it if just barely. 

Yh.... I think this all happened cause at the end of Q3 2016 they had a surplus in the channels. Over 3M. Shipments had to be adjusted to clear the channels which led to a situation where in FY 2017 they have to ship less total consoles than they did in FY 2016 (19M for 2017 vs. 20M for 2016). 

By their next fiscal report, if sony announces flat or higher shipment estimates than 2017 for the fiscal year 2018, then thats a good indication that at some point they plan on dropping to $199 this year. If they announce shipment estimates that are even lower, then it could mean they don't plan on dropping price anytime soon.

Intrinsic said:

The cannot just ignore the mobile phone market. Its simply too big a market to ignore. They however need to take it more seriously. Like they are just not being competitive in where it counts as far as mobile phones go. Take for instance, the Xperia line has looked identical since 2011 or so. Thats just not cutting it, every major trend in cell phone market has been ignored and poorly implemented. Like they are making phones for who I do not know. Honestly shocks me they even still manage to sell 4M of them.

I definitly don't want them to ignore the mobile market, or sell off all of their patents like some suggest. I just think the best thing they can do at this point is go after a different segment of the market. The casual smartphone consumers that buy their iPhone or Galaxy every 2 years are not going to switch to a Sony phone on Android playing me too regaurdless of what they do.

At this point they are better off trying something new that offers  a phone expereince unlike anything else on the market. Even if a PlayStation Phone line is a niche market that only sells around the same rate they are currently, the massive increase in profits and mindshare from running their own OS, and connecting all users to the PlayStation Store would be a huge step forward from the continued loss of marketshare and the tight rope they walk in terms of profit.

Running Android and trickling out me too phones is not going to get them anywhere. It is actually working against the advancement of their own OS and Online Ecosystem. It is time they stop playing non profit for Google, and start building toward a solid future for Sony.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

UltimateGamer1982 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
wait, hold the presses.. you mean to tell me that Sony is no longer "doomed" ??

No, they’re still doomed. This is just a fluke. You’ll see. 

Oh nintendo is doomed too btw. 

Sadly, some ppl actually believe this :( 

We're all doomed. We'll all end up dead one day and billions of years from now, the oceans will boil away as the sun consumes the Earth. All Earthly matter, from centuries-old civilizations to the little toys that help men get through their day, converted to fuel the sun's burning, burning that will also cease one day and it will seem as if it too was pointless in the end.

We're all pawns in a universal irony.

Hell yeah, excellent results and all but 1 division are up from last year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.