By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Visual Equipment in RPGs - How do you feel about it?

Tagged games:

I think transmogification solves this problem. More games should adopt it, especially if it can screw up the story element of your game.

Around the Network

Depends on the game and what its going for, it doesn't make or break the game for me regardless if it's still enjoyable to play.

I really like it. It enhances immersion and it adds another element into making the character into your own. It works best in rpg's and games with fan service.

Doesnt' Xenoblade Chronicles have a "costume option" that lets you put items in their that dictate your visual output, yet still let you equip the stat optimization items? But I feel all games should have that option. Let people look how they want the whole game, or let them look however their equipped. Let it be up to the player.

I want my Characters look to change with new gear, or at the very least, a new weapon.

Around the Network

In recent years I'm finding myself more often than not wearing gear that makes my character look nice despite maybe having lower stats. A game that comes to mind is Dragon Quest IX for the DS; I really like how gear shows up on your character. I hope that DQ11 does it the same.

Depends on the game, and how much I like the default outfits. Too much customization and the characters feel less like characters and more like avatars. This might work for games that are aiming for that (Dragon Quest IX, etc.), but for story driven games I generally prefer a few full costumes over a million armor customization options.

Tales of handles this well in general I find. The costumes, default and alternate, work for the characters, and accessories give some added flair in some titles. I liked having Jude equip a Milla doll and Milla a Jude doll...hehe...

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

irstupid said:
Doesnt' Xenoblade Chronicles have a "costume option" that lets you put items in their that dictate your visual output, yet still let you equip the stat optimization items? But I feel all games should have that option. Let people look how they want the whole game, or let them look however their equipped. Let it be up to the player.

I know X has it, XBC2 doesn't have visual changes for what characters wear but that's due to approach certain character appearances and designs are how they are for story reasons and the characters don't equip armour in the game.

I've always had mixed feelings about visual equipment other than weapons or shields. I really don't want my characters to always look like generic bucket heads. I don't mind changeable costumes for them. Breath of the Wild doesn't do too badly with this although I still prefer the classic Link look and at least have him wear a green Link cap. His outfit did change color in older games with the Blue Ring and Red Ring, and he wore armor in Twilight Princess. But in Fallout 3/NV/4, I always wanted my character to look like a rifle toting soccer mom or librarian or hooker without taking a huge hit in defense. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 02 February 2018

SanAndreasX said:

I've always had mixed feelings about visual equipment other than weapons or shields. I really don't want my characters to always look like generic bucket heads. I don't mind changeable costumes for them. Breath of the Wild doesn't do too badly with this although I still prefer the classic Link look and at least have him wear a green Link cap. His outfit did change color in older games with the Blue Ring and Red Ring, and he wore armor in Twilight Princess. But in Fallout 3/NV/4, I always wanted my character to look like a rifle toting soccer mom or librarian or hooker without taking a huge hit in defense. 

I just wish the jewelry head pieces in BOTW could be substituted for the head pieces for the other sets. Many times, the head piece for whatever set has a bonus, looks like shit.

Or as many games allow have a [Hide helmet slot] type of option.

I find myself many time playing that game using the legs and chest piece of something and then the circlet of that same type. So basically for aesthetic reasons I'm handicapping myself of a set bonus.

Seeing as the game becomes quite easy with upgardes it's not a big deal. Kind of like the handicap. But still. (Havne't upgraded past level 2 in armor for that reason. I want the bonus, but not the game breaking armor you get with later upgrades. Even lvl 2 is insanely helpful for defense. On Master Mode)

I find I do a lot of things for aesthetic reasons. Cosntantly switching my shield/bow/weapon ect based on what armor I'm wearing or what other weapon I'm using at the time. If I'm suing say a Gerudu weapon, then I pop out the golden bow and radiant shield and so on to better match. And if weather permits I will switch to a more pleasing armor to fit all that.