By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Visual Equipment in RPGs - How do you feel about it?

Tagged games:

Well not being able to change my character's design gives me a whole lot less freedom if I'm trying to "role-play" ...

If other players don't like it then there should be "default" character design option regardless of equipment ...

Last edited by fatslob-:O - on 01 February 2018

Around the Network

I think you meant "visible" and I support it.

I support it fully, and I flat out hate it when its not there. FF15 managed to skirt this bit by only have different weapons but not a whole lot of amour. They instead went with accessories. But when a game tells me I am wearing something called Raven God armor and I still look like i did when i started the game and yet I spent 10hrs completing the task required to get the damn thing, then be rest assured that the immersion is broken. One of the most rewarding things for me of recent was the armor in horizon..... and yes it shows on your character. My only grip was that it came at a time when I had already completed the bulk of all the other difficult stuff.

I really love it myself. I suppose I like the idea that your character development shows in the game with the changing of your gear. I found it kind of weird myself when your characters would be shown with default equipment despite all the better items you get in your adventures. It just seemed weird to me. So I was quite happy when I saw that in XC2. Also, thanks to the costumes in SMO, I got to play the game as a Mexican, and that was awesome xD

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Bristow9091 said:
Cloudman said:
I really love it myself. I suppose I like the idea that your character development shows in the game with the changing of your gear. I found it kind of weird myself when your characters would be shown with default equipment despite all the better items you get in your adventures. It just seemed weird to me. So I was quite happy when I saw that in XC2. Also, thanks to the costumes in SMO, I got to play the game as a Mexican, and that was awesome xD

Yeah I see where you're coming from with this, and I do agree, but at the same time I disagree based on my experience with the first XC game so far lol, having to dress looking like an idiot because it gives me better stats shouldn't really be a thing in my opinion, it sort of ruins the experience a little, and as for progression and character development, yeah okay so I get better gear as the games goes on, and I can see that visually... but please tell me why a literal bikini and pair of smart glasses is better than the armour I was just wearing beforehand? I've already mentioned how it look silly in cutscenes, lol :P 

Yeah, that is a fair point. It does look silly if they're wearing a ridiculous outfit during a really serious moment in the game. I think XCX remedied this by allowing you to pick your appearance gear apart from your actual gear, though for this game I guess you just have to deal with it, unfortunately : / I don't have much experience with the 1st XC.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:

Yeah I see where you're coming from with this, and I do agree, but at the same time I disagree based on my experience with the first XC game so far lol, having to dress looking like an idiot because it gives me better stats shouldn't really be a thing in my opinion, it sort of ruins the experience a little, and as for progression and character development, yeah okay so I get better gear as the games goes on, and I can see that visually... but please tell me why a literal bikini and pair of smart glasses is better than the armour I was just wearing beforehand? I've already mentioned how it look silly in cutscenes, lol :P 

Suspension of disbelief ?

Bristow9091 said:
Cloudman said:

Yeah, that is a fair point. It does look silly if they're wearing a ridiculous outfit during a really serious moment in the game. I think XCX remedied this by allowing you to pick your appearance gear apart from your actual gear, though for this game I guess you just have to deal with it, unfortunately : / I don't have much experience with the 1st XC.

Ah that's pretty cool then, I'll be playing it sometime later this year hopefully... 

And yeah I'll admit that it's one of the only things I don't like about visual equipment changes, it can actually go as far as to ruin cutscenes and stuff for me... and that probably sounds very silly, but meh, it's just the way things are lol :P 

Yeah, that's understandable. There was a game I played where a character got an appearance change which I thought was not for the better. It wasn't really a bother, but sometimes I just thought 'man, that costume looks kinda dumb. Wish I could have the old one back'

Dance my pretties!

Fucking love it! I love having fashion for my character. One of my favorite things to do in games that allow it is mess around with different looks for my character. I esp love it when a game lets you equip a bunch of strong gear but lets you choose the aesthetic as well. Diablo III or Xenoblade X do this. I may like the look of this set of really low-level armor but still, have a bunch of nonmatching strong stuff equipped.

I like to show off my stuff in game like these select examples. The games are Earth's Dawn (Earth Wars on Switch and a awesome game btw) Dragon's Dogma and Super Mario World.

Generally speaking, I'm always in favor of having more freedom, and I love being able to customize the appearance of my characters in games. That said, this can sometimes come at the cost of making sure that those characters have an inherent iconic look to them, which is a shame. There's a fine balance there, and some games strike that balance better than others.

Of course, is neat to see how your character changes with different gear you equip I like how they do it in Xenoblade X, where you can have 'cosmetic equipment' to pick your favourite visible gear

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]