By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2017 vs. 2018: Final Results!!!

The PS4 have never been down YoY and this year is the best one yet in terms of exclusives and third party. All signs point to 2018 being the peak year.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
I doubt 2018 will be up against 2017, the PS4 is starting to get old and market saturation is slowly starting to set in, too. There's also not much Sony can do anymore with the price; a 50$ price cut is probably incoming this year but this will be probably the lowest the console will sell outside of promos

I do think however that while the PS4 as a whole won't be up, the PS4 Pro sales will be higher than 2017, slowly drawing closer to the base model's sales

Historically whenever Sony have dropped the price, sales have always gone up. So If you have other proof as to why a price cut would cause sales to drop instead, I'd love to read that link to see how that happened.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
I doubt 2018 will be up against 2017, the PS4 is starting to get old and market saturation is slowly starting to set in, too. There's also not much Sony can do anymore with the price; a 50$ price cut is probably incoming this year but this will be probably the lowest the console will sell outside of promos

I do think however that while the PS4 as a whole won't be up, the PS4 Pro sales will be higher than 2017, slowly drawing closer to the base model's sales

did you see what a one week price drop did in november 2017?

The one thing you so casually dismissed is the one thing that the PS4 can do that matters the most.

nicely done buddy. Very interesting in fact. I havent decided where to put my money, but wild guessing, I think itll be hard to beat 2017 numbers...

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Good to see that it's already up 5K. It will be interesting to see how this year unfolds.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
CartBlanche said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Historically whenever Sony have dropped the price, sales have always gone up. So If you have other proof as to why a price cut would cause sales to drop instead, I'd love to read that link to see how that happened.

I don't say sales will drop after a price cut, but that sales will be down until a pricecut comes. More details further down

Intrinsic said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

did you see what a one week price drop did in november 2017?

The one thing you so casually dismissed is the one thing that the PS4 can do that matters the most.

And I saw what happened the month after when the price got normal again - sales dropped like a rock (comparatively speaking). It means to me that the pricecut is overdue and sales will be slow (again, comparatively speaking) until that pricecut comes. The problem is that I fear it won't come until the holiday season, and then it will be too late to make up for the sales they lost in the months before compared to the last year

Mr.Playstation said:
Good to see that it's already up 5K. It will be interesting to see how this year unfolds.

It's still an estimation at this point which could be way off (both too high or too low). We will know more after we get some solid data outside of Japan. I do think though that the estimation is on track here, it's on the later months that I fear the PS4 won't be able to keep up with last year anymore

In case anyone missed it....
https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/29/16930892/xbox-one-exclusive-games-analysis-microsoft

I assume Japan is up this year, but worldwide will be more or less flat.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Something tells me we will have a price drop on E3

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Something tells me we will have a price drop on E3

I can feel that happening, a 50-100 price drop on both models starting straight after Sony’s e3 presentation and I also feel that Sony will ship way more ps4s for this year’s Black Friday as they underestimated last year’s sales.