By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and Illumination officially announce a Mario movie, co-produced by Miyamoto

So, any guess on how this might perform in the box office? For now, I'm going to go with $600-800 million, mostly based off the "Mario" name alone.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
It’s an exciting development, but I just think Illumination is a poor choice for a partner.

I'd honestly gone with Pixar, but that wouldn't be very likely.

However, with Miyomoto co-producing this means they won't as likely screw things up.

Again, Universal is working with Nintendo on the theme parks so it made sense to work with a Universal affiliated developer.

I'm hyped for toads screaming banana for 90 minutes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulgalenetwork/status/958911461094379520?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Eios%7Ctwgr%5Eother%7Ctwcon%5E7100%7Ctwterm%5E0

If anyone would like to participate, I made a post on Twitter, to vote for having Charles Martinet be cast as the voice of Mario in the new film. It seems like an obvious choice, but with Hollywood…you never know.  #MarioMovieMartinet if anyone wants to add in.  :)

IE makes shit movies. Actually, I don't qualify them as movies. Movies have a plot. IE just makes 90 minutes of unrelated scenes then ends.

Around the Network

Frankly I'd rather see a Pikmin movie lol I hope for their sake that the movie is at least passable, but the Mario franchise just never seemed like one that was a good fit for films. With a film this large any changes they make to the characters could stick within games as well, and I worry that they'd need to change them significantly to make a film feasible. Maybe it will target young kids? I just don't see how you make a feature length film out of these guys.

Poweranimals said:
leedlelee said:
I really hope Mario doesn't talk too much...

Why? It's one thing in a game but for the main character in a movie... It's going to require a lot of dialogue. 

You never saw that four minute video they made a few years back where Mario talks about various 3DS features???

It was actually the worst thing ever...

I don't know that I could do a movie's worth of dialogue...

Have a nice day...

Just the Mario name will get them lots of money, let's hope it's good

If nothing else, at the very least, they NEED to keep Charles Martinet as Mario. (And Luigi, Wario, and/or Waluigi, whoever shows up who is voiced by Martinet.) Not so much because Mr. Martinet is so great or anything like that, but to me, he IS Mario. And Mario is him. If they casted anyone but him, the movie is doomed to fail. Charles or bust.

NightDragon83 said:
The first couple of Ice Age films and Despicable Me were pretty good as far as your CGI kids films go, but obviously Universal / Illumination have milked both series to death at this point.

What do the crappy Ice Age movies have to do with Despicable Me? Different animation studios (Blue Sky vs. Illumination), different movie companies (Fox vs. Universal).

OT: I love DM 1-3, good choice.