By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch has sold-in (shipped) 14.86 million, 3DS 72 million, Nintendo's FY 2017 Nine Months Earnings

The Wii U has a legacy; it's the shit that fertilized the Switch's growth. ;)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

The Wii U has a legacy; it's the shit that fertilized the Switch's growth. ;)

Wii U, the sacrificial lamb 

xMetroid said:
curl-6 said:

Seems Nintendo agrees

https://gonintendo.com/stories/301108-nintendo-looking-to-support-the-switch-for-more-than-the-traditio

"According to Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima, the goal is to support Switch after the 5-6 year mark"

Yeaaa !

We've been proven.

I have little doubt that's what they *want* and *say*.  I was referring to what will likely happen :P

Nuvendil said:
xMetroid said:

Yeaaa !

We've been proven.

I have little doubt that's what they *want* and *say*.  I was referring to what will likely happen :P

It won't sir.

Just cause they will have only 1 system and with the huge install base it will have, there is no way they will jump into the next, most likely, hybrid console. Cause if it flops they are in trouble. I see them using the Switch as much as possible so the next one will have a significant upgrade.

Also, they will only work on Switch at some point so the next few year will be major. They will be able to keep having some titles going on Switch (cause it has an healthy ecosystem) while they prepare the other console's launch 

xMetroid said:
Nuvendil said:

It won't sir.

Just cause they will have only 1 system and with the huge install base it will have, there is no way they will jump into the next, most likely, hybrid console. Cause if it flops they are in trouble. I see them using the Switch as much as possible so the next one will have a significant upgrade.

Also, they will only work on Switch at some point so the next few year will be major. They will be able to keep having some titles going on Switch (cause it has an healthy ecosystem) while they prepare the other console's launch 

Ah but the significant upgrade problem being faced by Sony and MS is not currently an issue for Nintendo.  By 2022 much less 2023 the tech will be there for them to make a very, very substantial jump within the same form factor and see very strong real world performance gains.  So while they need to wait until then, they don't have to wait as long past then.  Sony and MS are locked into a long gen because they need the next jump to be significant and diminishing returns has made that harder and harder.

The problem Nintendo is facing is that they have positioned themselves as a hybrid.  Whether people on this forum acknowledge that, that's what it is marketed as, that's what the majority of people use it as.  And part of that deal is it being strong enough to be serviceable in tv mode.  And the Switch is.  Barely.  And a part of that strategy is Nintendo is pursuing renewed third party support from companies who have no interested in the handheld space and are looking at the Switch as part of their console strategy.  These aspects of the Switch and Nintendo's strategy mean that what happens in the console space matters.  If the PS5 comes out and puts the Switch impossibly behind the market standard to the point third party support evaporates and perception of the Switch brand begins to decay, they will need to move on.  The Switch and Nintendo do. not. operate. in. a. vacuum.  And while they can do a hell of a lot of work with their internal studios and they are beefing their studios up, they cannot exist as an island unto themselves.  

The Switch will be supported for as long as they feel it is viable and advisable.  Then the support will stop.  They would love it to be 7 or 8 years.  But they certainly won't press that if it can't.  And I do not believe it will.  

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Nuvendil said:

Ah but the significant upgrade problem being faced by Sony and MS is not currently an issue for Nintendo.  By 2022 much less 2023 the tech will be there for them to make a very, very substantial jump within the same form factor and see very strong real world performance gains.  So while they need to wait until then, they don't have to wait as long past then.  Sony and MS are locked into a long gen because they need the next jump to be significant and diminishing returns has made that harder and harder.

The problem Nintendo is facing is that they have positioned themselves as a hybrid.  Whether people on this forum acknowledge that, that's what it is marketed as, that's what the majority of people use it as.  And part of that deal is it being strong enough to be serviceable in tv mode.  And the Switch is.  Barely.  And a part of that strategy is Nintendo is pursuing renewed third party support from companies who have no interested in the handheld space and are looking at the Switch as part of their console strategy.  These aspects of the Switch and Nintendo's strategy mean that what happens in the console space matters.  If the PS5 comes out and puts the Switch impossibly behind the market standard to the point third party support evaporates and perception of the Switch brand begins to decay, they will need to move on.  The Switch and Nintendo do. not. operate. in. a. vacuum.  And while they can do a hell of a lot of work with their internal studios and they are beefing their studios up, they cannot exist as an island unto themselves.  

The Switch will be supported for as long as they feel it is viable and advisable.  Then the support will stop.  They would love it to be 7 or 8 years.  But they certainly won't press that if it can't.  And I do not believe it will.  

Is that really true? If we assume it is, Nintendo is already failing hard. Switch titles from EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Warner Bros. and Take Two are rare and these companies didn't make any announcements that that is changing.

It is what they are pursuing.  Did not say they had achieved it.  They've got a profound uphill battle.  But that is a part of their strategy.  And the "usual suspects" are indeed not showing up voluntarily. But Nintendo has gained allies they previously did not have.  Bethesda Softworks has historically been a stalwart partner with those they go into business with but have never supported Nintendo.  Now Skyrim Special Edition, Doom, and Wolfenstein 2 are all on or coming to the Switch.  Square Enix, who gave virtually nothing to Wii U and limited support to 3DS has got Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2, Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest XI, Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2, Octopath Traveler, I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear out or coming out.  They are working with those who will listen.  We will see how far their efforts can get them.  But it is part of their strategy.  It somewhat needs to be, not just to fill out their library but also help sell that hybrid nature.  And also worth noting, going by the recent GDC surveys, they are making progress.  Interest from devs is up substantially.

Magnus said:
The only reason the Switch is selling so well is because of games stolen from Wii U owners who bought the Wii U to play those games. After the Wii U scam Nintendo should be bankrupt, just like Sega after the Saturn, Atari after the Jaguar or Ouya after the ouya. The only reason they aren't bankrupt is because of asshole "fans" who are playing Wii U ports stolen from people who bought a Wii U to play those games.

I guess by that logic, Sony should go bankrupt because they ported/remastered their own exclusives as well.

Magnus said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah whatever. You're wrong, and you almost certainly know you're wrong and are just looking for silly ways to dump on the Wii U.

I'm not wrong. Which other Nintendo console was basically made worthless the moment it was discontinued? Which other Nintendo console (that wasn't an experiment like the Virtual Boy) has no legacy other than being a piece of garbage? None.

GameCube ofcourse. Not just that some of best GC games were ported to Wii (Zelda TP, Metroid Prime 1 and Metroid Prime 2, Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2...), but Wii also had BC support for games and controllers, so person who bought Wii in same time is like had GC and could play all GC games. So actually GC become much more worthless moment was discounted than Wii U is compared to Switch.

Also its time to let it go, except things like they are and move one, you don't doing yourself any favor with that kind of attitude.

I wonder if 3ds will beat the GBA lifetime

Nuvendil said:
xMetroid said:

It won't sir.

Switch will only have more and more third party support. It won't have the big AAA but it's already not having the big majority of them, just a few. I really don't think the Switch is selling this well because of that but in a big part is because of Mario Odyssey and Zelda, which are groundbreaking quality games playable on a portable device. As usual, Switch is new so games will get a little better over time and we might have a Switch pro or whatever to had some fps or make every game 1080p or something. We have to take in count the third party support Nintendo receives from their successful Home consoles and their handheld devices. Devs were scared to jump on the Switch but seeing how it's doing now and how well games of every genre are selling, it's a given there is a lot of teams that haven't put out a game on it yet that are currently working for their piece of cake.

And once PS5/Xbox incertnamehere comes out, it will be again a pretty expensive platform to work on vs a cheap console with an a huge install base. So I don't think studios like Ubisoft, Capcom, Level-5, Namco, etc will give up on the Switch to take risks on the new consoles. They will probably do both on a smaller scale on switch, of course. It would be crazy for studios like Ubisoft that reaches (eventually) 2 million copies on a Rabbid game but don't support it anymore while it's making almost as much as big AAA game lol.

But also, Nintendo only have 1 system to (fully) support since pretty much mid 2017. We will see more games coming from them and I really don't think after 2018 we will ever see a month with only a port. 

Only time will tell. But even if in the worst case scenario the Switch gets left out, look at the 3DS. Just because it'S cheap it's doing amazing sales. Switch will have killer pricing and bundles for the holidays.