By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch has sold-in (shipped) 14.86 million, 3DS 72 million, Nintendo's FY 2017 Nine Months Earnings

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

Switch should get at least a 6 year lifespan; replacing it any sooner than 2023 would be a mistake.

And before people bring up "but Switch will be so outdated by then", see DS and 3DS, which kept going long after they'd become technologically ancient.

I don't think it can make 6 years.  With Nintendo actively trying to get 3rd parties back on board, it *does* matter what Sony does.  Good news is Sony is looking pretty comfortable for a long gen.  People are saying PS5 in 2019 but I don't see it a day before holiday 2020 and could *easily* see it go 2021.  I mean, why not?  PS4 is selling like hot cakes and it's not slowing down and Microsoft continues to seriously trail them and the Xbox brand is in no condition to try and force Sony's hand.  And the PS4 can coexist with the Switch globally.  So yeah, I see the 8th Gen lasting for a long while.

I could very easily see Holiday 2022 for the Switch 2.  That would be 5 years, 8 months.  In the interim, I could easily see a Switch Pro or some such that gives a boost to performance like the New 3DS coming out, perhaps using Tegra Parker tech.  Putting that out in holiday 2019 could work perhaps.  Almost 3 years from initial launch.  That or March 2020, exactly 3 years.  

This timeframe may well be necessary if they stick to the Switch and make a direct successor which I am fairly sure they will.  Tegra Parker tech isn't good enough to really give a generational leap in power over the base Switch.  So either they need to create a custom chip OR they need the true successor to the X1 which is currently in development.  Either one is going to take years and they need prices to fall.

What Sony does won't affect the portable space unless they go hybrid as well at which point they won't be able to push for high power which suits the Switch, Switch will easily be around for 6 years maybe even 8 as the's no device to challenge for the portable space.

Around the Network

3DS with a nice 72 million sold. I honestly though it would barely make past 60m yet it keeps grinding!

John2290 said:
Magnus said:
The only reason the Switch is selling so well is because of games stolen from Wii U owners who bought the Wii U to play those games. After the Wii U scam Nintendo should be bankrupt, just like Sega after the Saturn, Atari after the Jaguar or Ouya after the ouya. The only reason they aren't bankrupt is because of asshole "fans" who are playing Wii U ports stolen from people who bought a Wii U to play those games.

You have a point, never thought of that. That is true fucking over the most loyal fans in favour of casuals. Are the really not porting games, Have they started phasing out wiiu support though? If so, that might just be the worst offensive of a conpany in recent history and gone unnoticed, Im always unsure why the loyalist nintendo fans just bend over time and again leaving there wallets open on their backs nd a ty card for the financial raping. No complaints about 6 year old games being full 60 euro prices for a handheld. No complaints on having to buy a second console in 3 years because one failed. No complaints of underperformance locking out most big third party publishers from the get go. No comlaints of terrible physical dlc toys. Only a mild whimper about controlling video ontent to the detrement of the consumer just to make a few extra bucks and gaining free marketing on top of of. A mild mannered bunch to say the least but i sense they will bite the hand that feeds sooner or later as this new, more militant fanbase grows. Pn would hope anyway.

Wii U support died long before the Switch even launched tbh.
At that point the Wii U was already so long dead, that no one even blamed Nintendo for just moveing stuff (projects) onto the upcomeing console instead.

Seems Nintendo agrees

https://gonintendo.com/stories/301108-nintendo-looking-to-support-the-switch-for-more-than-the-traditio

"According to Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima, the goal is to support Switch after the 5-6 year mark"

JRPGfan said:
killeryoshis said:

He thinks the Switch is an 8th generation console. That's why he thinks it will last only four years. If the Switch lasts 6 years then he will have to admit that the Switch is a 9th generation console. Some people just don't want to accept that fact for some reason. 

Edit: Also giving the Switch such a short lifespan will mean it will be impossible to pass the PS4. So now he can avoid calling the Switch winner of 8th generation and therefore giving Nintendo two winning generations in a row. 

At least that's the logic I am getting here. Yeah it doesn't makes sense but nether does the Switch only lasting only four years. 

Or its just that when Playstation 5 and Xbox Two launch, the Switch will seem extremly dated? and not get any 3rd party multiplatform ports?
Right now its getting some, and thats good. Nintendo's hardware isnt hopelessly outdated yet, even if pretty weak compaired to the ps4/xb1.

Nintendo fans, dont you want a halfways decent peice of hardware in terms of its strength? So you can get games that have modern graphics and ports of multi plats?

The Gameboy,Wii DS and 3DS were "hopelessly" outdated when they launched yet they did just fine. The 3DS is doing much better than it more powerful handheld counterpart right now. So the more powerful Vita couldn't outlast the outdated 3DS. It is almost like power doesn't matter and it really is all about the games.  Here is the rub. Nintendo DOES NOT depends on AAA western 3rd party games to sell their consoles. Not a single Nintendo system in the history if the industry was that the case. Even when the NES had a monopoly on the console side there were tons of PC companies who refused to make games for it. So what Sony and Microsoft do does not matter.  What matters is what Nintendo does. The Switch will be replaced when Nintendo deems it time but it will not be because of their competitors.  

Also no. I do not care too much about power.  If I did I would have a PS4 or an Xbox One now but I don't. I have a pc that can handle AAA games but guess what? I don't have those AAA games. More power is nice but for me it is never worth the asking price. 

Also even the Nintendo President plans on having the Switch lasting longer based on the link Curl-6 posted. I think the whole launch a new Switch in 2021 is dead.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Magnus said:

A PC is much more useful than a console and you don't need a $1000 PC to play PC games. You just need a $1000 PC to make these games look good, and they will look better than on any console. A console is just a box you are buying to have the privilege to buy games. The only reason that people buy an exorbitant price for a video game box is for exclusives and expectations of more exclusives.

Yeah whatever. You're wrong, and you almost certainly know you're wrong and are just looking for silly ways to dump on the Wii U.

I'm not wrong. Which other Nintendo console was basically made worthless the moment it was discontinued? Which other Nintendo console (that wasn't an experiment like the Virtual Boy) has no legacy other than being a piece of garbage? None.

Last edited by Magnus - on 01 February 2018

Magnus said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah whatever. You're wrong, and you almost certainly know you're wrong and are just looking for silly ways to dump on the Wii U.

I'm not wrong. Which other Nintendo console was basically made worthless the moment it was discontinued? Which other Nintendo console (that wasn't an experiment like the Virtual Boy) has no legacy other than being a piece of garbage? None.

GameCube.  Because the Wii was backwards compatible and had ports for the GC controllers.  And the Wii.  The Wii U literally has a Wii in it.  With two purchases - a Wiimote and Nunchuck - the Wii is rendered a completely redundant piece of hardware.  At least, according to your narrow, arbitrary definition.  :P

The Switch is not backwards compatible for painfully, painfully obvious reasons.  The legacy of the Wii U and any system is not what games were trapped on it as it faded into obscurity, it's in what was accomplished on it.  The fact many games have been ported means precisely nothing.  And I owned a Wii U.  And I don't feel cheated and even if every game of note comes to Switch I won't because A) The Switch has already gotten and continues to get new games that more than justify it for me and B) I got to play those Wii U games years before other people did and that is frankly enough for me.  Cause I'm not a completely dick who feels cheated because things I enjoyed quite a while ago can now be enjoyed by others.  

Nuvendil said:
Magnus said:

GameCube.  Because the Wii was backwards compatible and had ports for the GC controllers.  And the Wii.  The Wii U literally has a Wii in it.  With two purchases - a Wiimote and Nunchuck - the Wii is rendered a completely redundant piece of hardware.  At least, according to your narrow, arbitrary definition.

Not really since old games were never reprinted, so if you skipped the Gamecube you literally had to pay like $120 for an used Gamecube game.

There's nothing wrong if you are happy with the completely dismal support Nintendo has given the Wii U, but I didn't buy the Wii U to play Switch games early. If Nintendo made it clear Wii U games would be ported so soon, how many Wii Us would they have sold?

Magnus said:
Nuvendil said:

GameCube.  Because the Wii was backwards compatible and had ports for the GC controllers.  And the Wii.  The Wii U literally has a Wii in it.  With two purchases - a Wiimote and Nunchuck - the Wii is rendered a completely redundant piece of hardware.  At least, according to your narrow, arbitrary definition.

Not really since old games were never reprinted, so if you skipped the Gamecube you literally had to pay like $120 for an used Gamecube game.

There's nothing wrong if you are happy with the completely dismal support Nintendo has given the Wii U, but I didn't buy the Wii U to play Switch games early. If Nintendo made it clear Wii U games would be ported so soon, how many Wii Us would they have sold?

Now that right there is really, extremely arbitrary.  So if the crew doesn't go down with the ship, the ship has no legacy.  Yeah, no.  That's just plain silly.  

curl-6 said:

Seems Nintendo agrees

https://gonintendo.com/stories/301108-nintendo-looking-to-support-the-switch-for-more-than-the-traditio

"According to Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima, the goal is to support Switch after the 5-6 year mark"

Yeaaa !

We've been proven.