By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4: Shadow Of The Colossus Reviews [92 Meta]

I scrolled through three pages and couldn't find a thread. Forgive me if I overlooked it:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/shadow-of-the-colossus

Metro GameCentral: 9 / 10

A stunning recreation of one of gaming's most enduring classics, and what remains a towering example of the art of interactive entertainment.

Push Square: 10 / 10

One of the greatest games ever made resurrected in one of the greatest remakes of all time. Shadow of the Colossus remains faithful to the 2006 original, but its presentation is on par with the very best that the PS4 has to offer. A masterpiece.

COGconnected : 90 / 100

hanging onto the arm hair of a huge ape as it tries to shake you off probably shouldn't be trivial

GamesBeat: 89 / 100

We're lucky to live in a world with Shadow of the Colossus. I hope that more people get the chance to play it now and it goes on to inspire a generation of indie developers. But, more than anything, I'm just happy to play it again.

Hardcore Gamer: 4.5 / 5.0

When remaking a game, there are two general routes that developers can take.

TheSixthAxis: 10 / 10

Shadow of the Colossus isn't necessarily a game that needed to be remade in such an elaborate fashion, and yet, I'm so glad that it has been. Bluepoint's remake of this sublime and poignant adventure is phenomenal, both managing to stay utterly true to the original and bringing it up to date in glorious fashion.

PS Site: 9.5 / 10.0

One of the best games of the golden age - now remade with current technology. Shadow of the Colossus looks and runs wonderful. It is a perfect moment to catch up, if you haven't already.

Attack of the Fanboy: 4.5 / 5.0

Shadow of the Colossus is one of the best games of all time and it has now received a truly worthy remake on PS4. There aren't any major shifts in the gameplay or content additions, but the game needed neither. Instead Bluepoint has taken the original classic, upgraded the visuals, and only touched what needed to be touched. Fans will want to have this on day one, and if you've never experienced the magic of Shadow of the Colossus before, this is the way to do it.

Game Revolution: 4.5 / 5.0

I've rarely seen a game received such an extensive makeover while being so faithful to the source material

PlayStation Universe: 9.5 / 10.0

The new and improved Shadow of the Colossus brings the game into the modern era successfully. It carries over a few flaws and annoyances, sure, but it's been refined where it matters most, and the net result is a return to the forbidden lands that's just as achingly beautiful and magical as it ever was.

Destructoid: 10.0 / 10.0

Not to diminish the accomplishments of this remake, but it's all possible because Team Ico's Shadow of the Colossus is so impossibly perfect. It's epic and majestic and emotional and imaginative and breathtaking. There are so many superlative adjective you could attach. Shadow of the Colossus' reputation is as great as some of its tallest colossi. This remake might just help some people see that a little more clearly.

Eurogamer: Essential

A melancholy masterpiece is reborn in this faithful and breathtakingly beautiful remake.

Gaming Nexus: 9.8 / 10.0

Shadow of the Colossus is one for the books. Twelve years later, it's still a powerful, immutable, singular experience. A masterwork of the genre.

Digitally Downloaded: 5 / 5
Game Informer: 9.0 / 10.0

Shadow of the Colossus is a masterpiece, and developer Bluepoint has done a fantastic job bringing it to a new generation

IGN: 9.7 / 10.0

The true definition of a classic, the gameplay and story of Shadow of the Colossus are every bit as great and emotional today as they were in 2005. This outstanding remaster skillfully enhances those qualities with improved controls, performance, and sheer graphical beauty. It remains one of the best PlayStation games ever made, and it's wonderful that Sony has brought it back to the fore so a new generation of gamers can experience it without having to look past its aged facade.

Opencritic : 93
Metacritic : 93

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Holy shit balls. The ps4 ain't letting up. Monster Hunter and now this. Both in the 90's.

Im about to 100% this game for the 4th time.

Never played it prior, so once I free up my hands from tasks and current games, I am all over this
I wonder if Ico for example could get this treatment, as well?

Pretty awesome. Did not get a chance to play the original or the PS3 remaster but have this preordered, backlog is looking insane now but ill make time for it.

Around the Network

Great news. I didn't even realize it was coming out so soon.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Thought it would do around 85 on metacritic due to it's age.

think-man said:

I've just watched a couple of playthroughs up to the first Colossi. This is every bit a next gen game. Bluepoint are incredible. 

Last edited by GribbleGrunger - on 30 January 2018

The PS5 Exists. 

think-man said:

There are always 2 ways that could go. Either it's old or it's "nostalgic". Considering it's a cult classic, the second option seems more likely.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Great news, well deserved !
Hey, not looking much different than Zelda, tho.