Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Polygon: Microsoft's Current Dilemma With Games

Luke888 said:
animegaming said:

There is no way Fifa would ever allow that. A reason why every major system gets at least one Fifa game is due to the Fifa organization mandated it. If Microsoft were to make it even just console exclusive I can see Fifa taking the license away from them.

Same goes for the NFL with Madden and Disney with Star Wars. There is no way those juggernauts would let those IP's go console exclusive.  

then they could just put low effort in the PS4/Switch versions of the games, nobody would buy a 360p FIFA that runs at 10 FPS

I feel like that would still piss off Fifa. Hell the backlash that Battlefront 2 got reportedly reached the heads of Disney. I hate to see what would if most versions of Fifa sucked except the Xbox version.  

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
I don't think Microsoft could afford EA or Valve.

PUBG sounds very possible though.

They could easily afford to buy EA and Valve but I don't think Valve would let them and if they bought EA I think games will still be multiplat but launch on Xbox gamepass.

jason1637 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
I don't think Microsoft could afford EA or Valve.

PUBG sounds very possible though.

They could easily afford to buy EA and Valve but I don't think Valve would let them and if they bought EA I think games will still be multiplat but launch on Xbox gamepass.

EA have a market cap of 36 billion. If MS wanted to buy them out they'd have to pay over that, possible even double that. There's no incentive to sell unless they're actually offering over the standard share price and something like 72 billion is a LOT of money.

As for Valve, they're a private company. Gabe sets the price and if he says he'd only sell for 1 trillion... well Microsoft can't afford that obviously

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

I can't see them acquiring EA let alone Valve. Valve is a private company and Gabe has turned down multiple attempts from deals like that before. EA makes their own piles of money, so I don't see it happening on their terms.

PuB is 50/50, though the studio has turned down the previous offer from being bought out before. Even if they were bought out, it'd mean the studio would end up spamming the same kind of games until popularity dries up and they get put out back and shot.

If they ever bought out Valve, I'd probably revert to GoG/Battle.net entirely. MS has tried to control PC gaming for years and it's always backfired and proven that they really do not care for what PC gaming stands for, let alone what it's gamers want. Them buying out Valve would mean a the undoing of what Steam/Valve brought to the table, and a reversion of PC gaming in general.

WTF, that'd be such a huge monopoly if they did that.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
jason1637 said:

EA have a market cap of 36 billion. If MS wanted to buy them out they'd have to pay over that, possible even double that. There's no incentive to sell unless they're actually offering over the standard share price and something like 72 billion is a LOT of money.

As for Valve, they're a private company. Gabe sets the price and if he says he'd only sell for 1 trillion... well Microsoft can't afford that obviously

Well it's not impossible. MS did try to buy Nintendo and Sega once iirc. But Yea I personally don't want it to happen.

I'm actually a bit disappointed someone on this site honestly linked a Polygon article....

I dont believe this.

The only one I see plausible of being bought off is Bluehole, and simply because they are a "small company", which only made and/or administrates one game as far as I know, and buying them off would not change anything about their plans, since PUBG is already on PC and XOne, and them being under MS wouldnt change that.

But EA and Valve?Valve is totally out of question simply because they would never want that, given the fortune they make out of Steam and the ammount of money needed for that acquisition would probably be far too much for even MS.EA is also too big to be bought like that.Even if MS would have the ammount of money to buy them off, it would be insanely huge, and even with the recent failures they had with Battlefront and Mass Effect, EA is still swimming in money as far as I know.And again, I doubt they would allow that and be impeded to sell on the PS4 and future Sony and to a much lesser degree, Nintendo platforms.

If MS could have bought EA, it would be a gamechanger honestly.But that simply wont happen.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Peh said:
If Microsoft manages to buy Valve, i will consider of quiting PC gaming, arf.

Welcome to the Xbox family 

Luke888 said:
animegaming said:

There is no way Fifa would ever allow that. A reason why every major system gets at least one Fifa game is due to the Fifa organization mandated it. If Microsoft were to make it even just console exclusive I can see Fifa taking the license away from them.

Same goes for the NFL with Madden and Disney with Star Wars. There is no way those juggernauts would let those IP's go console exclusive.  

then they could just put low effort in the PS4/Switch versions of the games, nobody would buy a 360p FIFA that runs at 10 FPS

FIFA probably wouldnt allow it.They would pull the licence out of EA and just give it to another developer.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1