By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Polygon: Microsoft's Current Dilemma With Games

"ACQUISITION RUMORS

Some of the names being thrown around as possible acquisitions by Microsoft are, frankly, astounding, even unthinkable. But the fact that they are doing the rounds is instructive. The most recent one we heard (from a reliable source close to Microsoft) was, in fact, Electronic Arts. We also heard a whisper about Valve and about Korean outfit PUBG Corp., which Microsoft last year signed to a timed exclusive for its hit survival shooter, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds.

“Because of where we are in the lifecycle of all these things, I’m expecting to hear Microsoft announce something very, very shortly,” said van Dreunen."

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/29/16930892/xbox-one-exclusive-games-analysis-microsoft

MS tried to acquire Bluehole last year but it didn't go through. I hope they don't try to buy EA or Valve and just make their own studios.

Last edited by jason1637 - on 29 January 2018

Around the Network

The Valve one is already out of the question imo. 

Valve owns Steam and is basically the go-to for PC gaming, why on earth would they sell to anyone when they practically have no real competition in the PC space and make millions/billions off of Steam alone? Doesn't mean Microsoft couldn't try to ask if they wanted but still that seems like it would be something that Valve would never even consider, especially because of how they like to do things their own way.

EA seems more plausible because of EA Access already being on Xbox and Microsoft seemingly wanting to push Xbox Game Pass now, but I still can't see that happening unless Microsoft is truly willing to pay that much for it. Would be a huge game changer for them though, would be massive. 

And as for PUBG Corp weren't there rumors that Microsoft had already tried to buy them and it didn't go through? So I dunno. 

edit: added more to this to clarify 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 29 January 2018

Double post.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

This is insane.

Well, if Microsoft is really looking to buy publishers...Capcom is delivering some great games recently and it may cost less then Minecraft, it would also help Xbox in Japan.

With the same likelihood, I could fall into a pit of money and hookers on the way to the store tomorrow.

...well, they could get PUBG, but huge no to the others, lol.

Around the Network

I could easily see them acquiring PUBG Corp.

Valve and EA, however, not happening. Both of those are going to cost A LOT of money that I'm sure will make Microsoft pause and really mull over, and both of those companies, particularly EA, are doing perfectly fine for themselves (Battlefront II controversy aside). So, I don't think they'd want to be bought out unless Microsoft blows them away with an incredible offer they absolutely cannot refuse.

Microsoft buying EA... Just the FIFA profits alone might make investors salivate, but I don't think that kind of adquisition would be wise at all. They could perfectly buy PUBG, in fact, I'd be surprised if they don't do that before this year ends.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Microsoft and EA would be a perfect marriage. Fingers crossed. No sarcasm. That one excites me.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Sounds more like Polygon click bait to me.

FloatingWaffles said:

Valve owns Steam and is basically the go-to for PC gaming, why on earth would they sell to anyone when they practically have no real competition in the PC space? Doesn't mean Microsoft couldn't try to ask if they wanted but still that seems like it would be something that Valve would never do. 

Money?