By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Polygon: Microsoft's Current Dilemma With Games

Machina said:
Please anyone but Valve. Literally anyone.

I wouldn't miss a thing if they bought Valve... but as some said if they brought Steam to Xbox then that could make they a lot more competitive against Sony.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

If MS can pay a 2.5 billion to purchase Minecraft, I am sure there isn't any publisher out of their capability to purchase. The question would be would those publishers be willing to be bought.

DonFerrari said:
Machina said:

I wouldn't miss a thing if they bought Valve... but as some said if they brought Steam to Xbox then that could make they a lot more competitive against Sony.

How would it make it more competitive when they'll gut the Steam store, mod support and all?.

It shouldn't even be about competing with Sony in the PC space, since Sony isn't knee deep in that market like Valve is for example. MS only has it's toe in the water at this point. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
DonFerrari said:

How would it make it more competitive when they'll gut the Steam store, mod support and all?.

It shouldn't even be about competing with Sony in the PC space, since Sony isn't knee deep in that market like Valve is for example. MS only has it's toe in the water at this point. 

How would MS be more competitive against Sony if they had Steam on Xbox? By having more options and the merging with their play anywhere could make they quite competitive.

And I wasn't talking about Sony on PC Space, I was talking about Console space.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

How would MS be more competitive against Sony if they had Steam on Xbox? By having more options and the merging with their play anywhere could make they quite competitive.

And I wasn't talking about Sony on PC Space, I was talking about Console space.

They already have their play anywhere program within their own ecosystem. Having Steam would mean gutting Steam inside out, taking everything they have and taking out what they find undesirable and tossing it into their own ecosystem. That to me isn't a good idea and it'll only serve to push people like me away from MS, as well as a blow to what I consider a good store as well as my library of games.

YEah, but MS doesn't need Steam in the console space on their side. They don't need to gut the PC space to add to their console side.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Machina said:

What about Rockstar?

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

DirtyP2002 said:
Farsala said:

Sony's assets alone is worth more than $150b, not a chance that they could buy Sony. They could buy up all the stocks for a ludicrous amount of money, but that wouldn't be buying it entirely.

Remember me to ignore you for any future financial discussions.

Remind?*

I am no expert on financials, but there is a difference. http://www.marinercapitaladvisors.com/resources/publications/asset-sale-vs-stock-sale.html

A buyer usually prefers assets vs stocks according to them.

But yeah the usual suspect likes his hit and run posts rather than explaining or discussing the topic at all.

Machina said:
dx11332sega said:

Would you be fine if microsoft bought valve ips but left steam alone ?

Only the Valve IPs I don't play xD 

Basically MS can buy anyone as long as it isn't something you like =p

Machina said:
DonFerrari said:

Basically MS can buy anyone as long as it isn't something you like =p

Just Valve as far as second and third party developers goes, because there's something unique about the way they develop their IP that makes it almost impossible for another company to pick them up and maintain the Valve standard.

TF2/Dota 2/CS:GO - All have cosmetic-driven funding models that allows continued development. MS would be sorely tempted to introduce pay-to-win I imagine. The latter two also have very healthy and enormous community-supported pro scenes that were only possible because of Valve's hands-off approach and grew organically. If MS took over I've no doubt they'd handle them to be more like the LoL or StarCraft pro scenes, which is not something either community would be happy with.

There's something very personal and personable about the Dota 2 pro scene (possibly the same for CS:GO but I'm not as familiar with that scene) - it's highly community driven, from the development lead (one of the original Dota developers), to the updates (Valve clearly uses r/Dota2 to sound out fixes and updates to the game, reacting to reasonable community backlashes quite quickly), to the personalities (casters, hosts, and so on have almost all risen up through the community, rather than being imposed from above), to the prize pools with tens of millions being raised each year by players purchasing cosmetics. 

Half-Life - Even Valve obviously doesn't think it can deliver a game worthy of the Half-Life name, that's why there's been no third entry. Anyone buying Valve or the IP will almost certainly have to use the IP to cover such a major investment. It won't deliver, and a game that doesn't deliver is worse than no game at all.

Portal - I can't think of a developer that delivers the sort of witty dialogue that's synonymous with Portal, let alone a developer within MS's limited stable. Again, I'd rather the franchise went dormant than received a lacklustre entry.

L4D - Probably the one Valve IP which, although I really enjoy it, could be taken on and made just as well by another developer as it has been by Valve. No issues with this one.

Steam - I mean everyone knows that MS's approach to PC storefront has been useless, it's part of the reason Steam has come to dominate the digital PC marketplace. If MS took it over and made only the most modest changes so that users didn't really notice any change of ownership that'd be fine, but there's no guarantee of that at all. Now Steam is far from perfect, and could certainly be improved, but I've seen nothing in Microsoft's own past that shows it's up to the task of doing so.

----------

I think, for the health of the Xbox brand in general, it is important for MS to start splashing some cash. Buying a few small-to-medium sized developers, or one large publisher, is something I'd be happy to see, so long as they were then actually let loose to make games and not just vaporware. Xbox sorely needs exclusives to remain competitive for the rest of this gen and perhaps more importantly next gen, and strong competition is the best way to keep Sony (primarily) and Nintendo (secondarily) on their toes.

I just don't want Valve to be the company MS buys xD

I would say that almost all games become different when change dev and can't really be replicated... several times even the sequels can't replicate staying on the same dev due to the time it was developed being different, team and corporate culture, etc.

A company could buy Valve as a publisher but keep its freedom as a dev like Sony perhaps would, but I can see you having worries about what MS would do.

Azzanation said:
Farsala said:

Sony's assets alone is worth more than $150b, not a chance that they could buy Sony. They could buy up all the stocks for a ludicrous amount of money, but that wouldn't be buying it entirely.

Well not with there straight out cash. I am sure if they really wanted to they could easily make room for the Purchase by simply selling and trading.

They wont though because is buying Sony worth it? Will they make $150b back any time soon just to stop there competition? MS make money off Sony since they partner up with PCs etc. And it wouldnt help MS tackle there real competitor Apple by using all there cash on a company that isnt garenteed or stable to profit yearly.

Microsoft can get more cash rather easily if there was a call to investors. Microsoft doesn't need to actually have the cash to buy all three companies though to still buy them. Microsoft has a ton of assets and a great credit rating.

Microsoft could literally buy Sony, Take Two and EA.

But you are right. That Microsoft buying Sony would never make sense. They could, because by comparison Sony is a tiny tiny tiny company. But they won't.

CGI-Quality said:

They wouldn't for other reasons beyond money, such as the Japanese Government. Just looking at EA's earnings, however, this entire discussion has just gone into silly overdrive. It's not happening. Like I said, I can see Microsoft doing something with the PUBG team, but nothing beyond.

I agree. I don't think Microsoft dumping it's warchest on video games will sit well with investors/shareholders anyway.
Still nice to talk about a what-if scenario sometimes, right? :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--