By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK:Monster Hunter: World week 1 sales in the UK are far higher any other Monster Hunter release

It’s been exactly a year since Capcom scored a No1 on the All Formats Entertainment Software Chart (Resident Evil 7: Biohazard) and the publisher does it again, with the first simultaneous worldwide release for a Monster Hunter title – ‘Monster Hunter: World’ for PS4/Xbox One debuts at No1 with far higher week 1 sales in the UK than any other Monster Hunter release.

The series dates back to 2005’s ‘Monster Hunter’ for PS2 and the title that charted highest until now was 2016’s 3DS ‘Monster Hunter Generations’ which debuted at No3 in week 28, 2016.

Split:

72% PS4
28% XBO

Range:

If anyone wants a reference, it's nearly 4x higher than MH4 Ultimate opening.

Using a 4x multiplier, that puts it at 67k-93k from what we know of MH4U (physical only, I presume).

source

Around the Network

XBO share is actually a lot higher than I expected, even though UK is one of the few countries outside of North America where the XBO is competetive in terms of marketshare.

Share must be >80% for PS4 worlwide. Well deserved, game's cracking

Looks like we found the killer app for X1.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Teeqoz said:
XBO share is actually a lot higher than I expected, even though UK is one of the few countries outside of North America where the XBO is competetive in terms of marketshare.

If xbox only has around 28% in the UK and US. Overall WW it's share is probably around 15%. Pretty low. 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Teeqoz said:

If xbox only has around 28% in the UK and US. Overall WW it's share is probably around 15%. Pretty low. 

Xbox One has a 17% share of FFXV global sales according to VGC. I'd expect the XBO's share for MHW to be much lower for a few reasons - Final Fantasy was multiplat the entire 7th gen, thus having time to build at least a bit of an audience on PS4. Monster Hunter, on the other hand has had zero connection to Xbox, but it has been on both the PS2 and PSP. In addition, Japanese sales of MHW will be more important for MHW than they were for FFXV. Because the XBO is nonexistent in Japan, the more sales come from Japan, the more disadvantaged it is.

It's pretty good

Releasing this on the home consoles has been a huge success. This is exactly what the franchise needed, it will no longer be a niche game in the western markets anymore.

I am excited with this success, to be honest. Great to see.

Teeqoz said:
Kerotan said:

Xbox One has a 17% share of FFXV global sales according to VGC. I'd expect the XBO's share for MHW to be much lower for a few reasons - Final Fantasy was multiplat the entire 7th gen, thus having time to build at least a bit of an audience on PS4. Monster Hunter, on the other hand has had zero connection to Xbox, but it has been on both the PS2 and PSP. In addition, Japanese sales of MHW will be more important for MHW than they were for FFXV. Because the XBO is nonexistent in Japan, the more sales come from Japan, the more disadvantaged it is.

It's pretty good

Nicely summarised. 

Teeqoz said:
Kerotan said:

It's pretty good

^ that makes sense.
Also Kerotan is probably right, WorldWide XB1 is probably ~15% of the MHW sales.