By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VR Story time: How I saved a stranger from the VR Hate

Medisti said:

If I have to "get used to it" then I'm not going to do it. And neither will the majority of people. First impressions really are important. It's like how I was perfectly fine with the 3D on the 3DS but most people didn't want to get used to it and turned it off.

Well, I'm sure you also had to get used to walking instead of crawling or get used to riding a bike or get used to read.

If people see a benefit in the results of learning or adapting, many of them will try it. VR games and other VR experiences will get better and more numerous over the next years and the current limitations of the VR devices will get smaller over the next years.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Azuren said:

Still going to have to disagree. I don't believe that a thought out post should get lumped in with spammy posts just because the poster is the same person.

Spam is not just what you say, but also where and when you say it.  

In this case, the OP made a topic about selling people on VR literally within an hour of making this topic about selling people on VR.   In addition to another topic he made about VR.  And another topic he was posting in about how "VR isn't a gimmick".  

This post could have easily fit into any one of those already ongoing threads.  Add in the fact that he keeps insisting that anyone who doesn't like VR hasn't tried it and that nobody who uses it has ever disliked it, and I'm pretty sure this is a troll account.

Nothing he has done is trolling...you clearly were trolling in an earlier post though, ridiculing this thread. Be careful not to throw stones in a glass house.

I agree...This habam guy has clearly overdone it with VR threads lately...I wrote him an PM about it, but I wouldn't call it spam nor trolling...simply trying too hard. If people themselves wouldn't try to troll all the time those threads wouldn't be bounced up again and again.

You're right though...all this stuff would fit in the official VR thread and I've even PMed him about that exact topic. We'll see if he has understood the problem with his behaviour once his ban is lifted.

Errorist76 said:

We'll see if he has understood the problem with his behaviour once his ban is lifted.

I think pretty much everyone knows what the result will be

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Errorist76 said:

We'll see if he has understood the problem with his behaviour once his ban is lifted.

I think pretty much everyone knows what the result will be

If he really is that immature, so be it.

DonFerrari said: 
CladInShadows said:

2. I'm not attacking anyone's character.  I'm just making an observation about the actions displayed right here on this forum.  I have no side in this little war.  And what exactly is their argument?  That VR is the only way to play games and if you don't agree you're either lying, a troll, or can't afford it so you're jealous?  That's not an argument.  That's idiocy.

Nope his argument is that VR is great and people hating it aren't right and show why he think that.  Calling others childish is an attack, and you trying to justify yours attack and point finger doesn't do you any favor.

So VR is great and the people who don't like it are wrong.  Got it. 

Fact is, it's an immature stance to take, no matter how you slice it.  And that's before you consider the stance that everyone who dislikes it is a troll.  Or that people who genuinely dislike VR don't exist.  I have no qualms with calling this out as childish (which I haven't actually attached to any posters, by the way, just actions).  Because it is childish. If you consider this acceptable behavior, then have at it.

Anyways, I'm done. 

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
JWeinCom said:

Spam is not just what you say, but also where and when you say it.  

In this case, the OP made a topic about selling people on VR literally within an hour of making this topic about selling people on VR.   In addition to another topic he made about VR.  And another topic he was posting in about how "VR isn't a gimmick".  

This post could have easily fit into any one of those already ongoing threads.  Add in the fact that he keeps insisting that anyone who doesn't like VR hasn't tried it and that nobody who uses it has ever disliked it, and I'm pretty sure this is a troll account.

Nothing he has done is trolling...you clearly were trolling in an earlier post though, ridiculing this thread. Be careful not to throw stones in a glass house.

I agree...This habam guy has clearly overdone it with VR threads lately...I wrote him an PM about it, but I wouldn't call it spam nor trolling...simply trying too hard. If people themselves wouldn't try to troll all the time those threads wouldn't be bounced up again and again.

You're right though...all this stuff would fit in the official VR thread and I've even PMed him about that exact topic. We'll see if he has understood the problem with his behaviour once his ban is lifted.

Nah.  I wasn't trolling.  Being an asshole sure, but that's not trolling.  From urban dictionary.

"The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help. 

Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll."

His over the top insistence that 100% of people love VR is so absurd that the point of it has to be to annoy people. Especially seeing as he was already banned for it at least once. It's textbook trolling.

JWeinCom said:
Errorist76 said:

Nah.  I wasn't trolling.  Being an asshole sure, but that's not trolling.  From urban dictionary.

"The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help. 

Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll."

His over the top insistence that 100% of people love VR is so absurd that the point of it has to be to annoy people. Especially seeing as he was already banned for it at least once. It's textbook trolling.

I'm not sure...I don't think so. I definitely think he believes that, even I believe that in a way, seeing how much problems I have getting back into normal gaming having experienced the thrill of VR lately.

It's literally, and I'm not kidding, so exciting it makes me feel like a kid again, grinning from ear to ear. If one experiences something like this after gaming had gotten stale a bit lately, how it was for me, it's certainly a revelation and one wants to inform people about it.

That said it's a fact that there are certain circumstances which prevent people from enjoying it, or even want to enjoy it, which is something one needs to accept. At least at the given point of technology. And there's the point where he definitely IS lacking empathy or a certain level of maturity.

I mean, I myself might have acted a bit like that. I just don't think I'm as extreme as he is. He's acting pretty dogmatic, really. 

Wilful trolling would mean he does this with the target to annoy people. I really think he does it with the target to "convince" people, not realising that he's achieving the opposite the way he does it. 

Similar to a young guy, foolish in love, who desperately wants to tell his girl of his dreams how much he adores her, wanting her to feel the same but overdoing it and finally achieving the opposite as a result :)

(I definitely believe his story btw. I had a similar experience with my brother...never wanted it. Bought one, 2 hours after he had tried mine;)

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 28 January 2018

Errorist76 said:
JWeinCom said:

I'm not sure...I don't think so. I definitely think he believes that, even I believe that in a way, seeing how much problems I have getting back into normal gaming having experienced the thrill of VR lately.

It's literally, and I'm not kidding, so exciting it makes me feel like a kid again, grinning from ear to ear. If one experiences something like this after gaming had gotten stale a bit lately, how it was for me, it's certainly a revelation and one wants to inform people about it.

That said it's a fact that there are certain circumstances which prevent people from enjoying it, or even want to enjoy it, which is something one needs to accept. At least at the given point of technology. And there's the point where he definitely IS lacking empathy or a certain level of maturity.

I mean, I myself might have acted a bit like that. I just don't think I'm as extreme as he is. He's acting pretty dogmatic, really. 

Wilful trolling would mean he does this with the target to annoy people. I really think he does it with the target to "convince" people, not realising that he's achieving the opposite the way he does it. 

Similar to a young guy, foolish in love, who desperately wants to tell his girl of his dreams how much he adores her, wanting her to feel the same but overdoing it and finally achieving the opposite as a result :)

I don't think he is legitimately trying to convince anyone.  His insistence and multiple topics say more, "I want attention" than "I really want people to like VR".  And his insistence that LITERALLY NO ONE actually dislikes VR and his persecution complex is so over the top that I don't think he could genuinely believe it.  

JWeinCom said:
Errorist76 said:

I don't think he is legitimately trying to convince anyone.  His insistence and multiple topics say more, "I want attention" than "I really want people to like VR".  And his insistence that LITERALLY NO ONE actually dislikes VR and his persecution complex is so over the top that I don't think he could genuinely believe it.  

I don't know...I've yet to experience someone who wasn't impressed with my PSVR.

Errorist76 said:
JWeinCom said:

I don't know...I've yet to experience someone who wasn't impressed with my PSVR.

Do you think 100% of people who claim to not like it are lying?