By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VR Story time: How I saved a stranger from the VR Hate

Little VR story for all people interested in VR!

1-2 months ago I was on Reddit in a big gaming subred and saw a stranger basically asking "Im intererested in VR/PSVR, what do you guys think about it".

Scince I own a PSVR scince launch I clicked on his thread to share my expierence.

To my surprise, I saw several people actualling hating on VR and posting stuff like "VR is crap", "Vr makes fun for maybe 10 minutes", "You will use it for an hour and never again". That where like ~4 people who upvoted all each other (it turns out that nobody of these people owned any VR headset, most havnt used VR yet and the others got motion sick while trying it for one time). There was just 1 other guys actually telling the OP how awesome VR in reality actually is.

SO long story short, I shared my expierenced and also linked his thread into a VR centric subred so other VR owners could share their honest opinion.

The haters obviously got downvoted quickly and many, many people that actually own a VR headset shared their expierence and also gave handy tips for a great first VR expierence, how to avoid motion sickness and all that stuff.

Some tried to talk to the haters why they had such a poor opinion about VR and it turned out, most never used it and all that did, just got motion sick (usual reasons to dislike VR in general).

Long story short: 1 week later OP came into the r/psvr and made a thread that he bought a PSVR. He said how its the most amazing thing he ever expierenced in terms of gaming and that hes totally blewn away and it feels like hes playing video games in 2050 (or something similar, cant remember exactly anymore, basically just all the usual VR reaction when somebody finally get the chance to expiernece  the future).

He said a BIG THANK to all people actually helping him and sharing their expierence., He were already pretty turned off from VR after all the poor posts of the haters and had almost missed out on this amazing technology.

So guys, if you see people beeing curios about VR and you do own a VR headset, dont forget to share your opnion. The market is still pretty small (~3-4 mio Headsets sold) so it can sometimes be a little big difficult to find someone that can actually give real first person expierences. If you see VR haters ask them specifally what they disliked about VR (most wont be able to give any answer because they never tried it or just say that they got motion sick). If the hate is to big so your honest opinion may not been convincing, just try to get other VR owners into the discussion.

Its always nice to help somebody to get into the future of gaming.

I do know that the VR hate is pretty strong and many many people that dont own a VR are trying to downplay it for whatever reasons. Its likely your threads gets closed in forums for defending VR, its likely you get banned for advertising vr by mods hating you for owning a VR headset and so much more. But the feeling to give someone else the chance to expierence VR is all that worth it so dont worry!

Last edited by habam - on 28 January 2018

Around the Network

Yeah, im glad you set him straight and showed him the way. You probably think im joking, but at my school I get made fun of all the time for being a VRer. I live in Arizona so everyone is really Xbox over here. I keep telling them all about how much fun I've had with it and they just call me gay.

But then I found this new friend who was a VRer. We shared the experiences we had, how it affected us, and how it changed our gaming life. After being ignored for the millionth time at the lunch table about how awesome Spell Fighter was, me and him decided to make a club.

Now, we spread the joys of VR to others. We share the fun we have together at meetings. And if someone complains about it at the lunch table, we interrogate them about how much time they spent with VR. If someone complains online I send a link in our discord to set them straight. We wouldnt want negative opinions to be expressed, only HONEST AND REAL opinions. Im glad you safed a person, im trying to safe as many people as I can. I feel like I've really been reborn as a gamer. Oh VR club is so fun! I can't wait to attend our next sermon : )

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 28 January 2018

halil23 said:

I want to be a mod so I can ban all fanboy trolls that dishing VR, cause clearly they never tried it.

That right there is a good reason why you should never be a mod.

CladInShadows said:
halil23 said:

I want to be a mod so I can ban all fanboy trolls that dishing VR, cause clearly they never tried it.

baning trolls is a bad reason? And here I thought trolling was against rules.

@OP all Hail Habam the saint saviour of VR.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
CladInShadows said:

baning trolls is a bad reason? And here I thought trolling was against rules.

@OP all Hail Habam the saint saviour of VR.

And who determines who's trolling and who genuinely has no interest in VR? Since you have no real way to tell if someone has or hasn't used it, I'd like to know what criteria you're going to use.

Seriously, this whole "persecuted VR community" thing is starting to get really old.

Around the Network
halil23 said:
First thing first, it "saved" not safed.

And that motion sickness excuses, I get motion sickness in some games but ain't hating! (I even get motion sickness from just looking at my phone while on cars, bus, planes. And don't get me started with fishing on boats...)

You mention how you guys give handy tips on how to avoid motion sickness, enlighten me will ya!!

I edited the title!

also check this guide regrading motion sickness, hope it helps! https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/7fmbea/guide_for_new_psvr_owners_games_motion_sickness/

CladInShadows said:

And who determines who's trolling and who genuinely has no interest in VR?

I dont think this exist honestly.

In my expierence there are 3 groups of people.

1. Owns VR or tried vr and didnt get motion sick => is at least interested in the technology

2. Tried VR but got motion sick, might has FOMO => hate

3. Never tried VR, might has FOMO, just watched videos of VR games => hate

Anybody else wanna make predictions of when Habam will get permapanned for spamming VR like Kaizer did for 3D?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Anybody else wanna make predictions of when Habam will get permapanned for spamming VR like Kaizer did for 3D?

as long as their is a mod that cant afford a VR headset yet its likely to happen pretty soon, im sure. If all mods had Vr headset/the chance to try the tech at least without getting motion sick, there would be a 0% chance.

BTW, this is not spam. But it doesnt matter obviously, if you talk about stuff a mod cant afford, you get banned. Its understandble

Modded by a poor moderator who can't afford VR - axum

Last edited by axumblade - on 28 January 2018

habam said:
CladInShadows said:

And who determines who's trolling and who genuinely has no interest in VR?

I dont think this exist honestly.

In my expierence there are 3 groups of people.

1. Owns VR or tried vr and didnt get motion sick => is at least interested in the technology

2. Tried VR but got motion sick, might has FOMO => hate

3. Never tried VR, might has FOMO, just watched videos of VR games => hate

TV has been around for decades and there are still people on this planet who don't care for it. People who don't care for mobile phones, people that don't care for PC's or consoles etc.

There are many things in this world that not 100% of the world's population care for.

Your classification is also biased and flawed btw. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"