By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do the visuals on the Nintendo Switch compare to those of the Xbox 360 & PS3?

The Nintendo Switch hardware is...

A big leap over 7th gen 71 40.11%

A minor leap over 7th gen 72 40.68%

About the same as 7th gen 24 13.56%

Actually WORSE than last gen 10 5.65%

Total:177

A big leap over 7th gen. Look at Doom and any other game on the 360 or PS3. No amount of Cell™ infinite power meme magic can do that.

Around the Network

I'm a peculiar creature. I have a PS4 Pro, XBO X, and a Switch--all day one purchases. I like to feel like I'm having the best experience possible but I also don't pay much attention to resolution and frame rate. I'm happy if the game runs decently and looks okay.

Every now and then, I fire up the 7th gen hardware and it looks blurrier than I remember, a lot of the times. Still, I don't think there's a game that can run on Switch in docked mode but can't run on PS3 and Xbox 360. I don't think the inverse is true, either. I'd love to see GTAV on the Switch! For me, the Switch is mostly on par but not a huge leap. If, after almost ten years, the leap in graphics were got was the Switch (my favorite device but not a graphical powerhouse), I'd have been a little let down.

... Now that I think about it, I WAS let down by the start of this generation! Lol!

Wii U was already capable of producing better visuals than PS360 thanks to it having more RAM and a more powerful GPU. The Switch, even in handheld mode is more powerful than Wii U thanks to again having more RAM and a newer and even more powerful GPU, plus also a better CPU.

The Switch is, therefore, clearly capable of producing better visuals than PS360, and anyone who fails to notice that is because he/she has his own reasons to say it isn't.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Ok, I'm a bit difficult in this regard. Because back then, I remember people drooling over the graphics of Doom. No, not 2016, they drooled over this:

I always thought the textures looked shitty and liked the graphics of Dark Forces a lot more, although it was technically barely a step-up:

Because the texture were more meaningful. With other words, technical stuff aside, the people on Dark Forces invested more time in art. And this is the main thing I see stays relevant over time. The most technical highlights of a time lose their charm as the technology advances, but the truly artistic games stay ahead. Sure, more pixels are always cool, but it isn't important in the long run.

So if asked about visuals, Okami on PS2 in my opinion beats about everything on PS3 (except Okami HD obviously), X360 and so on. So, difficult question.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Which switch game looks better then god of war 3?

Yea,nun

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

OTBWY said:
A big leap over 7th gen. Look at Doom and any other game on the 360 or PS3. No amount of Cell™ infinite power meme magic can do that.

Doom is SUB hd, and a very unstable 30fps. its looks last gen on switch. anyway i would say switch is lastgen but at 1080p so far, but 1080p is a big difference.

xl-klaudkil said:
Which switch game looks better then god of war 3?

Yea,nun

i would say uncharted 3 looks much better then god of war 3.

JEMC said:
Wii U was already capable of producing better visuals than PS360 thanks to it having more RAM and a more powerful GPU. The Switch, even in handheld mode is more powerful than Wii U thanks to again having more RAM and a newer and even more powerful GPU, plus also a better CPU.

The Switch is, therefore, clearly capable of producing better visuals than PS360, and anyone who fails to notice that is because he/she has his own reasons to say it isn't.

Technically the WiiU was but there was something holding it back. A design flaw or something. I watched a video on YouTube a couple of weeks ago called "Just how powerful was the Wii U" and it had a couple of weaknesses despite all of it's strengths. 

With the PS2, Sony threw out some hypothetical figures that it could never and didn't ever meet. It made the GameCube look weaker in comparison when Nintendo gave it real world numbers. The GameCube was the more powerful hardware, though.

My point is, the Wii U was more powerful on paper and maybe even had a couple of games that showed its power (though I'm drawing a blank right now. Captain Toad and MarioKart 8, maybe?). In practice, nothing actually looked better than Rise of the Tomb Raider, Titanfall, God of War 3, Killzone 3, etc. And that could all very well come down to art style. After all, the first WiiU games were ports of some of the best  looking PS360 games. Things SHOULD have gotten a lot better

https://youtu.be/JPqWqbjOIJc

It's a big leap over the XBox 360 and PS3. In fact, it is more powerful than the Wii U, which was already a little bit more powerful than XBox 360/PS3. I would say it sits below the PS4/XBox One, but above every other console ever released so far.