Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gameware Stops Selling Xbox Systems in Reaction to Recent Game Pass Announcement

Did anyone tell them Xbox still usesphysical copies of games? lol



Around the Network

I've always heard that retailers make money from games, not consoles. But if in their eyes, this means a future with even more people buying digitally, then it's bad for business.
So, even if they were to sell the same amount of HW, if this takes-off, it could mean less money for them.

You could even see this as a move to force MS to rethink their new strategy and and also other companies to not follow suit.



It's understandable, but Central Europe isn't the biggest market for Xbox anyway.



bananaking21 said:
Well retailers don't profit from selling Xbox one's.... Ohh wait... They do

Not much. Retailers barely make anything off of the actual consoles. And when they do special sales, they make nothing. The attraction of selling consoles is making a much larger cut off of the game and accessory sales. 



DélioPT said:
I've always heard that retailers make money from games, not consoles. But if in their eyes, this means a future with even more people buying digitally, then it's bad for business.
So, even if they were to sell the same amount of HW, if this takes-off, it could mean less money for them.

You could even see this as a move to force MS to rethink their new strategy and and also other companies to not follow suit.

One retailer in Austria (a country they dont do that well in anyways) isnt going make MS rethink their strategy, not in the slightest. 

In fact, I think gameware should adapt with the times instead of being so stubborn and stuck in the 90's. Being like this will only make them burn down.



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

This isn't happening only with game stores. Many store chains are struggling and closing stores in many regions because of the impact of online stores.




flashfire926 said:
DélioPT said:
I've always heard that retailers make money from games, not consoles. But if in their eyes, this means a future with even more people buying digitally, then it's bad for business.
So, even if they were to sell the same amount of HW, if this takes-off, it could mean less money for them.

You could even see this as a move to force MS to rethink their new strategy and and also other companies to not follow suit.

One retailer in Austria (a country they dont do that well in anyways) isnt going make MS rethink their strategy, not in the slightest. 

In fact, I think gameware should adapt with the times instead of being so stubborn and stuck in the 90's. Being like this will only make them burn down.

Even if they are small fries, they made a statement. Who knows if someone else will follow... This could help other smaller retailers step up too.
And if they are alone in this, they're still entitled to this move.

The way i see it, it's them saying that they won't support a company that is/will hurt them.



malistix1985 said:

Looks like the first retailer doesn't want to support the new strategy Microsoft is aiming for

The Austrian shop Gameware is quoted saying they "don't understand why one should still sell Microsoft consoles."

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/01/25/call-of-duty-wwii-resistance-new-trailer/

I remember in my country there where 2 stores that refused the sell the PSP Go because if was all digital, I can imagine retailers being scared about an all digital future but I didn't see this coming, I am quite sure Microsoft won't change their strategy because of this but I wonder what would happen is Gamestop or someone else would respond in a simulair manner.

What do you think about this news?

Gotta love this. Totally understandable. MS want all the money and control for themselves. And they're willing to walk over corpses for it. Again. (Just another edition of always online DRM, just with a bit more butt kissing)


MS probably won't care though. They'll just sell those things directly bundled for 50 Dollars or so, as usual.

 

Hynad said: 

This isn't happening only with game stores. Many store chains are struggling and closing stores in many regions because of the impact of online stores.

Very true, sadly.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 25 January 2018

Errorist76 said:
malistix1985 said:

Looks like the first retailer doesn't want to support the new strategy Microsoft is aiming for

The Austrian shop Gameware is quoted saying they "don't understand why one should still sell Microsoft consoles."

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/01/25/call-of-duty-wwii-resistance-new-trailer/

I remember in my country there where 2 stores that refused the sell the PSP Go because if was all digital, I can imagine retailers being scared about an all digital future but I didn't see this coming, I am quite sure Microsoft won't change their strategy because of this but I wonder what would happen is Gamestop or someone else would respond in a simulair manner.

What do you think about this news?

Gotta love this. Totally understandable. MS want all the money and control for themselves. And they're willing to walk over corpses for it. Again. (Just another edition of always online DRM, just with a bit more butt kissing)


MS probably won't care though. They'll just sell those things directly bundled for 50 Dollars or so, as usual.

Physical copies arent going away.

Used games arent going away.

The ability to outright own the game digitally isnt going away.

So how is this another edition of always online drm?

This is paticularly ironic because in game pass you can download the game online, and keep playing it even when offline. Something not possible with playstation now.

And as a business, do you do whats best for yourself and your consumers, or some other business?

By your logic, netflix was very greedy and bad, wanted all the money for themselves, and walked over corpses for it (blockbuster, etc).

This is how retail works. You have to adapt to stay alive. 



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:

One retailer in Austria (a country they dont do that well in anyways) isnt going make MS rethink their strategy, not in the slightest. 

In fact, I think gameware should adapt with the times instead of being so stubborn and stuck in the 90's. Being like this will only make them burn down.

Gameware has plenty of legs to stand on. Firstly, they carry Sony and Nintendo consoles and games, and as you are aware of, both of them sell much better than Xbox. Secondly, they sell video game merchandise and board games, two categories that will always remain physical goods. Thirdly, they are a reasonably popular website for German gamers who are looking for uncut versions of games.

They are still selling Xbox games and accessories, so the only products they removed are the ones that won't make them money. So as far as adapting to the times goes, they are ahead of the curve.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club