By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are a handful of VR users so adamant?

VR is something that one can't easily explain to others, so there's a huge disconnect between those that "get" it and those that don't. I'm sure many VR owners are elitist about it, but just as many I'd argue are trying to convey the experiences they've had to somebody who has no true frame of reference.

I've been on both sides of this! I was a huge gen 1 VR skeptic until I got a PSVR and now I'm sold on the medium. In fact, I've made video reviews of VR games, for example, and the captured footage just looks crappy on a flat display to the point that people lose interest. Even written reviews can't easily convey VR adequately more often than not. Some of this "trust me, it's awesome" mentality probably comes from these people after they've tried to, and become frustrated with failing to, explain VR to their friends.

The closest comparison I can make is to Stephen Colbert's explanation of Star Wars. He lived in a test market, and saw A New Hope three weeks before the world. He's said that these three weeks were incredibly difficult, because, well, how do you explain something game-changing that you've never experienced before to somebody who STILL hasn't experienced it? The best you can do is say OMG IT'S SO GOOD TRUST ME

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
SvennoJ said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221398&page=-1#1
There you go.

Drift has become less of an issue, mostly because I now have he camera 2 meters in front of me on a couple boxes stacked on top of each other. It's actually sitting on top of the Far point AIM box.

I only had drift once with one game and it happened because the room was too bright and I was too far away (3m+) from the camera. It's definitely a setup problem, not a system one.

I've had drift issues in a room with low ambient lighting with the camera 2 meters in front of my seated position. It has gotten better though after a patch mid last year. Yet with DriveClub VR I still had to reset the viewpoint almost every race to stop sinking into the seat (luckily just a simple click on options, it became automatic after a while, I'm still pressing it today lol)

However sometimes rotational drift also got really bad, as in ending up sitting sideways in the car at the end of the race. After an update mid last year that extreme rotational drift hasn't happened anymore, it still drifts a bit but holds at 10 or 15 degrees and drifts back again. It's very slow so you don't really  notice it until you check how you are sitting on the couch versus what is straight on screen.

Once I had a more serious issue where psvr wasn't aligned horizontally anymore. Everything was tilted close to 30 degrees to one side. It was quite sickening to try to play like that. I did a system reset and set everything up again to fix it. It wasn't going away on its own, very weird.

Anyway the system screen or when using the internet browser, will never stay dead ahead. It always slowly rotates to one side, just not all the way around anymore. The reset position button gets uses a lot! It's no issue while gaming (without a cockpit) as you're always adjusting the direction anyway.

Why are (insert group) so (insert adjective)?

Might as well just play madlibs with how uncreative these titles are

monocle_layton said:
Why are (insert group) so (insert adjective)?

Might as well just play madlibs with how uncreative these titles are

I know right its like "which will sell more (insert game / system name) or (insert game / system name)"

Sorry I wasn't more creative with the title but I was frustrated at the time.

the-pi-guy said:

As a disclaimer, I'm not really an adamant VR person.  At least in the way that I am not the person to say that "everything is going to be VR, whether you like it or not."  I'm not the person to say "you're wrong for not wanting to try out VR."  I firmly believe TV isn't going anywhere, so I'm not one of those guys either. I'm not really a pushy person.    I don't appreciate the people that say things like that.   I love VR very much, but I try not to be over the top.  I try to be neutral in some respects.

I don't appreciate the people that seem to want to push VR down everyone's throat.  Or tell them that they are wrong for not liking it.  Etc.

On the other side, I don't like seeing people being overly negative about VR.  

I guess some people love VR, but they don't really understand that not everyone wants to take part in it.  That's probably why some people are really adamant.

With that disclaimer said, I am a very serious VR supporter, and I want to talk about why.  

SvennoJ has a really nice write up about the issues with PSVR.  With the Oculus Rift, a good number of those issues I've never experienced.  And most of the other issues are still there on even the vastly more expensive headsets, but we are not too far from eliminating those issues.  Field of view, resolution, there are already headsets with 8x the resolution of the PSVR.  I'm really excited to see where we are in 5 years.  Some companies are working on eye tracking, a variety of companies are working on tricks to eliminate motion sickness, and a lot more.  One of the things that a lot of people don't realize when talking about how popular VR is, is just how many different companies are producing headsets and phone holders to work as headsets.  "Cardboard" VR is over 100 times more popular than any of the major headsets are.   I'm really excited about the future of this technology, but I have yet to touch on my personal experiences with it yet.  

Even with all these issues that we are still a few years away from fixing, VR is still the coolest experience I've ever had.  

When you are playing a game, and you completely forget where you are, you literally forget for a moment that you are still on planet Earth, that's an insanely cool moment.  Literally having to check through the nose gap on the headset just to make sure you are still in your room.  There's literally no gaming experience like that.  And that's not even the only thing VR gives.  

There's an app called bigscreen, where you are sitting in a virtual environment and you have your monitor right in front of you.  What's really cool is you can adjust how big the screen is, and how far away it is.  You can literally feel the difference between a big screen that's far away and a small screen that's close.  

Playing Lucky's Tale.  You look down at this little creature, who feels real.  You literally want to try reaching out to try petting him.  

I've showed my headset to everyone in my family and all my friends.  Everyone I've shown it to has been blown away by it and loved it.  Doesn't matter if they are hardcore gamers, or haven't played games in years.  My sister even got scared of falling off a virtual ledge.  

The current headsets are nowhere near perfect.  They still have a lot of issues.  But they are already able to trick the brain so well that you can forget where you are.  It really is incredible.

And I'm hopeful that people still go out and try VR.  I'm hopeful that developers continue to make VR games, especially making larger ones.  I'm hopeful that people don't get turned off by the naysayers or the overly pushy VR supporters.  

Unless things change, it may be a bit before I can afford PSVR.  I'm almost wondering if i shouldn't just borrow my friends, get my fix for RE7 and wait until next gen. On the other hand if I do that, I'm not supporting an industry I'm interested in and helping it to grow ...

As for your disclaimer, you have conducted yourself very well in the discussions I've seen you a part of, so, Kuddos.

Around the Network

I've had a great time with VR and have had awesome experiences. Definitely not for everywhere,but most of the games I've actually been interested in,have been pretty good

Until Dawn Rush Of Blood
Akrham
Inpatient
Farpoint
Resident Evil 7
VR worlds is a good tech demo

Stuff I've played that are more ''experiences'' than games that I found interesting or good are COD VR and Voltron VR. Really fun time with those short experiences.

Games I'm looking forward to the most this year from PSVR are

Bravo Team
KnockOut League
Killing Floor Incurision
Fearful Symmetry & The Cursed Prince
Blood Rush
Blood and Truth

Good times await for me personally. But It's not for everyone,especially my cousin. I let him try it and he got sick to his stomach xD

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

My cousin called me the other day to ask which CoD we used to play back in the day and I told him MW2...and believe me..we spent hours upon hours playing that and Halo.

Bro..I've been playing games for most of my life and being an only child...gave me leisure to enjoy gaming by myself on a plethora of consoles.

But it isn't until...in my humble opinion...a game is played with another player...that gaming and the core mechanics are appreciated in its full entirety.

I grew up playing during the fighting game boom where players were adamant in their preference of one on one combat. It was the epitome of gameplay.

With that said...I immediately told my cousin that he hasn't seen a glimpse of what video games can encapture until...he's or anyone for that matter has played in VR.

The point is...it's understandable why people are perplexed when gamers shun the peripheral.

I personally don't get it...other than the chance of motion sickness...what could possibly make anyone turned off from VR.

But dont let my or anyone else's opinion determine your stance or interest in VR whatsoever...but by all means...PLAY IN VR.

I promise you at the very least...you're anticipating an entirely different experience and one that I truly believe is the best experience I've EVER HAD playing games.

Thee End.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

SuperRetroTurbo said:
My cousin called me the other day to ask which CoD we used to play back in the day and I told him MW2...and believe me..we spent hours upon hours playing that and Halo.

Bro..I've been playing games for most of my life and being an only child...gave me leisure to enjoy gaming by myself on a plethora of consoles.

But it isn't until...in my humble opinion...a game is played with another player...that gaming and the core mechanics are appreciated in its full entirety.

I grew up playing during the fighting game boom where players were adamant in their preference of one on one combat. It was the epitome of gameplay.

With that said...I immediately told my cousin that he hasn't seen a glimpse of what video games can encapture until...he's or anyone for that matter has played in VR.

The point is...it's understandable why people are perplexed when gamers shun the peripheral.

I personally don't get it...other than the chance of motion sickness...what could possibly make anyone turned off from VR.

But dont let my or anyone else's opinion determine your stance or interest in VR whatsoever...but by all means...PLAY IN VR.

I promise you at the very least...you're anticipating an entirely different experience and one that I truly believe is the best experience I've EVER HAD playing games.

Thee End.

Big Tekken fan here, what other fighters are in VR?  Which one is your fav in VR and not in VR? One of my buddies who has PSVR and likes it, was kind of ho-hum about Tekken 7 in VR.

The_Yoda said:

Big Tekken fan here, what other fighters are in VR?  Which one is your fav in VR and not in VR? One of my buddies who has PSVR and likes it, was kind of ho-hum about Tekken 7 in VR.

Honestly not sure. I own RezEv7..Farpoint...RIGS...and Doom VfR. I did see Tekken and eventually I'll probably buy it but it isn't at the top of the list.

Tekken..to me..is one of those series that I would say is a great game...just not my style.

My personal fav is DoA. I'm a fan of Team Ninja...and wait on everything they do. Ninja Gaiden is by far my fav hack n slash.

As far as VR though...I'm looking at getting Superhot next.

I'm milking all of my vr games. The experience is just something I want to savor...so I'm in no rush. I haven't even gotten passed the tutorial in Rigs and barely scratched Doom...but to me it's worth taking slow. 

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Can I make as many topics about Assault Suits mecha games as some people make VR threads and not get banned?

Hey, people play these games!

Target Earth

Cybernator (also known as Assault Suits Valken and a remake is on PS2)

Assault Suit Leynos 2

Assault Suit Leynos PS4 (the remake of Target Earth)

And for the heck of it not the same series but very similar. Play Metal Warriors.

There the first post in this thread not debating or slinging mud at one another. Sorry, it's off topic...