By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Errorist76 said:

I heard a great quote once and it helped me quite a bit.

"I stopped being depressed the day I forgot to believe that I was depressed." or something like that.

I know, it sounds easy...but that's essentially what it is about.

Good luck to you all.

It's not that easy at all...

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:

"I stopped being depressed the day I forgot to believe that I was depressed." or something like that.

Good luck to you all.

I heard a bit different quote that helped me. I don´t remember how its was exactly, but it was something like this:

" The best way to defeat and get rid of depression is to stop thinking it as your enemy, as something you need to destroy. Don´t wait untill your depression is gone to start living the life you want, but instead live. Live despite depression, live with it, don´t think about it too much and just keep going."

The idea that I got was to not dwell on getting rid of depression, but instead focus on making your life better and accepting that you need to keep on going with or without depression. Kind of like living in the now instead of waiting for a better tomorrow.

Simply making the best out of this moment.

VGPolyglot said:
Errorist76 said:

Meds don't help depression. They're just postponing it and eventually making it worse.

Sorry, but I'm going to go with the advice of professionals

I thought you were an anarchist

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
VGPolyglot said:

Sorry, but I'm going to go with the advice of professionals

I guess you haven't read many anarchist works:

"Does it follow that I reject all authority? Far from me such a thought. In the matter of boots, I refer to the authority of the bootmaker; concerning houses, canals, or railroads, I consult that of the architect or the engineer. For such or such special knowledge I apply to such or such a savant. But I allow neither the bootmaker nor the architect nor savant to impose his authority upon me. I listen to them freely and with all the respect merited by their intelligence, their character, their knowledge, reserving always my incontestable right of criticism and censure. I do not content myself with consulting a single authority in any special branch; I consult several; I compare their opinions, and choose that which seems to me the soundest. But I recognise no infallible authority, even in special questions; consequently, whatever respect I may have for the honesty and the sincerity of such or such individual, I have no absolute faith in any person. Such a faith would be fatal to my reason, to my liberty, and even to the success of my undertakings; it would immediately transform me into a stupid slave, an instrument of the will and interests of others."

https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/bakunin/works/various/authrty.htm

Doctors, psychiatrists, etc. obviously have much more knowledge on the situation than me, so it makes sense to ask them for their input on those situations.

VGPolyglot said:

"Does it follow that I reject all authority? Far from me such a thought. In the matter of boots, I refer to the authority of the bootmaker; concerning houses, canals, or railroads, I consult that of the architect or the engineer. For such or such special knowledge I apply to such or such a savant. But I allow neither the bootmaker nor the architect nor savant to impose his authority upon me. I listen to them freely and with all the respect merited by their intelligence, their character, their knowledge, reserving always my incontestable right of criticism and censure. I do not content myself with consulting a single authority in any special branch; I consult several; I compare their opinions, and choose that which seems to me the soundest. But I recognise no infallible authority, even in special questions; consequently, whatever respect I may have for the honesty and the sincerity of such or such individual, I have no absolute faith in any person. Such a faith would be fatal to my reason, to my liberty, and even to the success of my undertakings; it would immediately transform me into a stupid slave, an instrument of the will and interests of others."

Doctors, psychiatrists, etc. obviously have much more knowledge on the situation than me, so it makes sense to ask them for their input on those situations.

It was a joke .... 

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:

It was a joke .... 

Sorry, I wasn't sure

PSintend0 said:
Errorist76 said:

Good luck to you all.

I heard a bit different quote that helped me. I don´t remember how its was exactly, but it was something like this:

" The best way to defeat and get rid of depression is to stop thinking it as your enemy, as something you need to destroy. Don´t wait untill your depression is gone to start living the life you want, but instead live. Live despite depression, live with it, don´t think about it too much and just keep going."

The idea that I got was to not dwell on getting rid of depression, but instead focus on making your life better and accepting that you need to keep on going with or without depression. Kind of like living in the now instead of waiting for a better tomorrow.

Simply making the best out of this moment.

--- Celeste spoilers ahead ---

That's actually how the story in Celeste unfolds. There's a shadow of the main characters that tells her she can't climb the mountain and the she should turn back. At first, she tries to fight it, get rid of it but nothing works. In the end, she overcomes the mountain and trials once she learns to accept the shadow as part of her and work with her without trying to deny she was there.

Signature goes here!

I don't know how to tackle this question, because this is very sensitive, so please guys if it brings bad memories or is hurtful/dangerous to respond, please don't. However, I generally think about killing myself a few times a day. It's not serious; or rather, it's not something I seriously consider. But it is something that I'm like "I wonder what'd happen if I killed myself", and I try to imagine different ways of how it could be pulled off. Is that normal for you guys? Do you have passive suicidal thoughts too? I really hope I'm not crossing a line here by asking this.

VGPolyglot said:
I don't know how to tackle this question, because this is very sensitive, so please guys if it brings bad memories or is hurtful/dangerous to respond, please don't. However, I generally think about killing myself a few times a day. It's not serious; or rather, it's not something I seriously consider. But it is something that I'm like "I wonder what'd happen if I killed myself", and I try to imagine different ways of how it could be pulled off. Is that normal for you guys? Do you have passive suicidal thoughts too? I really hope I'm not crossing a line here by asking this.

Silence doesn´t help anyone. Talking about suicidal thoughts should be okay, but encouraging others to harm themselves should not be allowed.

Its a senstive subject so its quite difficcult to talk about it, but remaining quiet it doesn´t help . Talking about it can help desperate people to realize that it isn´t the only option, it isn´t the best option. Depression can twist the way one views the world and things, similar to like in anorexia the person has a twisted body image, so a depressed person might benefit from listening what others have to say about suicidal thoughts etc.

And yes I have sometimes wondered what would happen if I killed myself and how would I do it, but I never really considered as an option. It would have hurt my loved ones a lot and possibly ruined their lives.

One of my friends tried suicide, but luckily did not succeed. It was horrible even to hear that my friend tried it and I was devastated that it had gone that far. My friend is now better and has not tried it again. Treatment, medication, therapy helped.

From that I realized how even attempting suicide can mess things up and if my friend would died from that it would have been a lot worse. Many others would have suffered enormously. Getting help sooner and being able to talk about suicidal thoughts more openly might prevent a lot of unnecessary deaths from happening. Often suicida is kind of like a final desperate cry for help, the person doesn´t want to suffer anymore and doesn´t realize that there are other better options.

VGPolyglot said:

I had this once, like 15 years ago, after trying to have a relationship with a borderliner girl. She had been abused as a child and I thought I saw much more in her, than she could herself, or anybody else. It ended in her trying to kill me, scratching my whole face, throat and biting my arms down to the bones. Yelling at me that I was responsible for what had happened to her, as a child. 

Broke my self-esteem, was depressed for almost 3 years until I had realised what had happened. Including suicidal thoughts, blaming myself for what had happened. I saw the devil that day.... still having problems maintaining relationships since then.

Just last year a good friend of mine commited suicide. He ran away from the mental hospital he was treated at and hanged himself at his parent's house. Just 2 days ago the best friend of one my buddies did. Jumped in front of a train. You won't believe how devastated my buddy is...It's incredibly selfish and deestructive for anybody who just mildly cares for you, impacting their whole life. 

After having overcome all that and a severe addiction lately, being incredibly happy that I'm still alive, I can understand thoughts like that to an extent, but despise them these days for obvious reasons. 

One important step for me was to realise that I'm a hyper sensitive person. I always react very emotionally to things, positive or negative, which lead to myself feeling I was different than everybody else. Expressing all that through music and art helped me a lot and especially meeting or reading about other people who have the same struggles with our society. Made me understand that I was not that different at all since around 10% of humanity share this problem/gift.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 19 February 2018