By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
potato_hamster said:
I just want to make one thing clear. I fully support the industry pursuing VR going forward. It does nothing for me because a decent (not good) experience is still way, way too expensive. But, that doesn't mean that technology won't exist some day.

But, let's not fool ourselves here. VR is far more popular than it has ever been, but it's still extremely niche. It's not popular amongst gamers, sales are not good, the price is a complete turn off for a casual audience no matter how "neat" or "amazing" they find it, and the technology is still way too basic and causes motion sickness in far too many people after extended use. It's got a long, long ways to go, and that isn't going to happen soon. It's not 3-4 years away, it's probably not going to happen in the 2020's. So let's temper our expectations and not get ahead of ourselves.

I agree, but there is a certain amount of fun talking about what MIGHT be when it comes to VR and engaging all the senses.  The type of stuff we are talking about will most likely be delivered via a neural interface rather than a bunch of worn gear or a Holo Deck type experience.

Again as you said tempered expectations is the way to go.  The type of understanding of the brain needed and cheap enough for the masses tech to interface with it is unlikely to occur within our lifetimes.  You never know though in another 40 to 50 years at the rate technology is advancing we may just get to experience this type of thing when we are old geezers (assuming we've signed all the proper release forms).

Around the Network

I wonder how big VR will get.

I could see it growing to 12 million gamers or so, but it just seems like a very niche thing with how long all the different headsets have been out.

Which is cool, there are lots of gaming niches now.

It’s a gimmick and hasn’t taken the world by storm like some wrongfully predicted it would a few years back. It’s a gimmick, an extremely expensive one. It needs to fade away

I think it is very cool, my favorite games are Skyrim, Resident Evil 7 and Rush of Blood.
That said, it kinda makes me sick, so I can not play for a long period of time and often I stay away from it for weeks.
It is a very cool acessory, but in the end, good games are king. RE8 drove me to addiction (and borderline insanity), everything else is just cool.
Oh, one thing... when the game is bad, it is just garbage. Like Ghostbusters or Homecoming Spiderman

Last edited by WagnerPaiva - on 25 January 2018

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

potato_hamster said:
I just want to make one thing clear. I fully support the industry pursuing VR going forward. It does nothing for me because a decent (not good) experience is still way, way too expensive. But, that doesn't mean that technology won't exist some day.

But, let's not fool ourselves here. VR is far more popular than it has ever been, but it's still extremely niche. It's not popular amongst gamers, sales are not good, the price is a complete turn off for a casual audience no matter how "neat" or "amazing" they find it, and the technology is still way too basic and causes motion sickness in far too many people after extended use. It's got a long, long ways to go, and that isn't going to happen soon. It's not 3-4 years away, it's probably not going to happen in the 2020's. So let's temper our expectations and not get ahead of ourselves. 

You're so far off from the truth. Whole GDC was full of VR. AR and VR will become big in the next 5 years...and big doesn't mean Smartphone or normal console big. It will constantly grow and grow as the technology gets better and prices drop. One can clearly see that you have no idea what you're talking about. 

potato_hamster said: 
Errorist76 said: 

Oh I see, now you’re trying to make the sales look bad just because every base PS4 (which is probably slower than 90% of gaming PCs out there) are VR ready.

There’s a market. Sony dominates the market. No spin needed.

Oh I see, now you’re trying to make the sales motion sensing cameras look bad just because every base Xbox One (which is probably slower than 95% of gaming PCs out there) are Kinect ready.

There’s a market. Microsoft dominates the market. No spin needed.

The fact alone that you compare VR to Kinect is ridiculous and underlines my assumption even more... still spinning.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 23 January 2018

Around the Network

I'd say this is flawed on the face of it because a steering wheel kind of is a gimmick for racing games. Why do you assume gimmick is a dirty word? Something having a gimmick just means that it has some idea that sets it apart. VR is very much a gimmick, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

gimmick
noun [ C ] UK ​ /ˈɡɪm.ɪk/ US ​ /ˈɡɪm.ɪk/ mainly disapproving

- something that is not serious or of real value that is used to attract people's attention or interest temporarily, especially to make them buy something

- ​something invented esp. for the purpose of attracting attention and that has no other purpose or value

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/gimmick

VR is not a gimmick. I'd say if you call VR a gimmick, and are serious about calling it that, you are either being ignorant and/or most likely trolling.

Last edited by Hynad - on 23 January 2018

John2290 said:
Medisti said:
I'd say this is flawed on the face of it because a steering wheel kind of is a gimmick for racing games. Why do you assume gimmick is a dirty word? Something having a gimmick just means that it has some idea that sets it apart. VR is very much a gimmick, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

No, A steering wheel is not a gimmick. Its invaluable to tbe racing genre. If it is the thumb sticks are a gimmick to sell FPS games....which they cdertainly are not.

That's another flawed bit of logic. Steering wheel controllers aren't sold with consoles or with racing games. If you had to buy a gun-shaped controller to play an FPS (or if it was even a viable option), that would be a gimmick as well.

But, again, why is VR being a gimmick a bad thing? A gimmick is a selling point. Just because gamers have chosen to vilify it because of the "motion control gimmick" doesn't mean it's actually bad. VR's selling point, its gimmick, is its immersive quality. That's what sets it apart from other variants of the medium. Without its gimmick, VR is just an HD 3DS in a box you put against your face. 

Most people in this thread don't even know what a gimmick is. -___-

I've played three different VR games on PSVR, one was like Tron and made me feel sick, the other was battlefront but controlling an x-wing, and the last one was defusing a bomb while my friend read instructions. I wanted to like it because i love the idea of VR but i just thought every game would have been much better on a normal TV.

VR definitely not for me (yet). Unlike 3D, i have some faith it will improve enough over the next 5 years for my opinion to change though.