By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - The Greatest Showman becomes the first movie in history to open wide to under 10 million and go on to gross over 100 million domestic

The Greatest Showman: What a Sleeper Box Office Run Means

The Greatest Showman has stealthily become a sleeper hit and a box office Cinderella story. We consider why and what it means for musicals.

Right now many in Hollywood are still marveling at the runaway success of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. As a standalone semi-sequel / semi-reboot, this old-fashioned adventure yarn exceeded all expectations and has dominated the U.S. box office for a month, toppling even Star Wars: The Last Jedi for three straight weeks. But just staring at Dwayne Johnson’s million-dollar smile might cause some to miss another big boffo story: Hugh Jackman’s The Greatest Showman is a stealthy box office hit.

Currently sitting at a global intake of more than $200 million, The Greatest Showman’s even showier fortunes are all the more impressive when so many wrote the picture off as a box office failure upon its opening weekend. Like Jumanji, this slickly produced musical was released on Dec. 20 and in the shadow of Star Wars’ wide reach. But unlike Jumanji, the movie’s appeal to audiences was less than clear. Grossing a meager $8.8 million while debuting in fourth place, the $84 million-budgeted toe-tapper was dismissed as a dud for 20th Century Fox that failed to get anyone to sing-along, especially critics who were less than warmhearted about the movie—including in our own review.

Indeed, the movie’s saccharine and overly sentimental affectation might seem unearned to some—especially those who compared it to last year’s lauded La La Land. However, a funny thing happened. Moviegoers who are fond of musicals ignored the critics, a few at a time, and responded to The Greatest Showman with almost as much enthusiasm as La La Land. For like that picture, here is another all-original song-and-dance picture that week after week, and weekend after weekend, played exceedingly well with audiences who have a song in their heart.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/01/20/box-office-greatest-showman-holds-as-proud-mary-plummets/

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network

Well deserved. Excellent movie in my opinion, and I’m typically not into musicals that much. All the reviewer complaints have nothing to do with the film, but some old controversy that isn’t even that bad.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

hugh jackmans best acting performance

Wolverine is well known for his recovery abilities!

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

Another disagreement with critics? :P

Around the Network

It's a fluffy, easy to digest, crowd pleasing musical. It's generally the type of film that appeals to a fairly large group of people. Everything I've seen of it just made it seem ok, besides Jackman's performance which I've heard is really good. The only issue I have is that a movie about P.T Barnum could have been so much more. He was a really fascinating person, so just doing a run-of-the-mill musical about him seems like a waste.

My Most Recent Articles:

1. The $70 Lie

2. Video Game Music Spotlight #16: Exploring the World

3. Forgotten Gems #11: Uniracers/Unirally

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

I enjoyed Jackman's performance in Les Miserables some years back, so I'll give this one a shot at home eventually. Nice to see a musical do so well.

Even though it had a much better opening weekend and took longer to get to $100 million domestically I think that Murder on the Orient Express is also a pretty good stealthy box office hit. Plus it did pretty good overseas also.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=murderorientexpress17.htm

Chris Hu said:
Even though it had a much better opening weekend and took longer to get to $100 million domestically I think that Murder on the Orient Express is also a pretty good stealthy box office hit. Plus it did pretty good overseas also.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=murderorientexpress17.htm

I have been surprised about a few movies this year. Daddy's Home 2 also did really bad, but ended up doing well for what it is.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter