By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - US: Switch has sold more consoles than any other platform in history on a time-aligned basis

JRPGfan said:
This makes me think that launching a new console in feb, so you can benefit from extra sales in the holidays (that arnt the fanboys/guaranteed sales) is better.

Im not sure theres a big benefit from launching in novemeber/december, like console makers have done in the past.
Theres a "core" user base, that ll always adapt early, and those guys/gals buy whenever it launches.
Then your sold out (usually) in the first year, just ruining your holiday boost.

Nintendos way of launching early in the year makes more sense to me, that way you dont risk wasteing your first holidays.

Problem with that is that you need a reliable line up to see you through the year which most consoles don't this is why many launch in the holiday because being the new device makes being bought during that period easier.

Switch could do it because they had two game of the generations ready to go, one at launch with BOTW and SMO in the holidays with a solid line up in between them. If you don't have this luxury you'd find that you may not get extra sales in the Holiday like you think and instead sell less.

Around the Network
vivster said:
OTBWY said:

Marathons have finish lines. There is no finish line in a console war IE: Sony keeps running after everyone has stopped running and started participating a new race.

But if everyone runs a different race then there is no race. That would mean the end of VGC as we know it.

Good.

I'm not going to pretend like Holiday launches aren't beneficial in their own ways(don't give me that shit, I know you're thinking about it, don't even reply, don't fucking do it, don't, do not, noo.)

But this is clearly a case where the March release really benefits Nintendo. It makes it seem like there's an obvious winner in many many many regions when launch-aligning sales, but we don't know how it would look if the launch and holiday weren't so close.

OTBWY said:
vivster said:

But if everyone runs a different race then there is no race. That would mean the end of VGC as we know it.

Good.

Savage!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
OTBWY said:

Good.

Savage!

Just gonna continue listening Deutschrap then.

Around the Network

What about about 12 months a more log benchmark that will include the So I'd first full holiday sales?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

OTBWY said:
vivster said:

Savage!

There are quicker and more comfortable ways to take your own life, you know.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Miyamotoo said:
xl-klaudkil said:
Cool....lets see how switch is in 5 years.
Hopefully i wont end like 3ds or wii

Well 3DS will be 75m+ and Wii is 100m+, both are good numbers. :)

I think he was referencing the early deaths wrought by Nintendo repeating new platforms too early.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

OTBWY said:
vivster said:

So marathon and doom it is.

Marathons have finish lines. There is no finish line in a console war IE: Sony keeps running after everyone has stopped running and started participating a new race.

The difference is Sony has shown itself to be more than capable of running two races at the same time.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

vivster said:
OTBWY said:

There are quicker and more comfortable ways to take your own life, you know.

If I wanted it to be quick and comfortable I would be watching Land of the Lustrous.