By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - US: Switch has sold more consoles than any other platform in history on a time-aligned basis

vivster said:
I always thought the console race is a marathon.

It could be whatever you want as long as it fit in your argument.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
JRPGfan said:
This makes me think that launching a new console in feb, so you can benefit from extra sales in the holidays (that arnt the fanboys/guaranteed sales) is better.

Im not sure theres a big benefit from launching in novemeber/december, like console makers have done in the past.
Theres a "core" user base, that ll always adapt early, and those guys/gals buy whenever it launches.
Then your sold out (usually) in the first year, just ruining your holiday boost.

Nintendos way of launching early in the year makes more sense to me, that way you dont risk wasteing your first holidays.

If you can launch earlier in the year, then yeah it's surely going to be beneficial. You get all the launch hype sales and holiday sales without losing out on one for the other. But having it ready to release earlier is an issue, and delaying it from a holiday launch seems kind of silly too. Why wait when you could be selling consoles straight away?

The problem is production.
No one launches and has enough stock to make full use of the 1st holidays, when you launch in dec/november.

Its always plagued by stock issues, always. It seems wastefull to me. I think its smarter launching early like Nintendo did, if we re just talking about what benefits  "you" as a console maker, and wanting a fast growing install base early.

pastro243 said:
JRPGfan said:

I think it has to do with sales expectations from third party software, I think I read somewhere 3rd party publishers want consoles to release on holiday season since they get more sales or something like that

Anyway, I think a march launch would make sales for succesful consoles like NS or PS4 look better on the get go, but maybe a not succesful one would get worse results than launching on holidays 

This could be it,.... could just be Sony/MS bending over, to help 3rd parties.

Pavolink said:
vivster said:
I always thought the console race is a marathon.

So marathon and doom it is.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Pavolink said:

That is about right

Around the Network
vivster said:
Pavolink said:

Marathons have finish lines. There is no finish line in a console war IE: Sony keeps running after everyone has stopped running and started participating a new race.

OTBWY said:
vivster said:

Marathons have finish lines. There is no finish line in a console war IE: Sony keeps running after everyone has stopped running and started participating a new race.

But if everyone runs a different race then there is no race. That would mean the end of VGC as we know it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Miyamotoo said:
xl-klaudkil said:
Cool....lets see how switch is in 5 years.
Hopefully i wont end like 3ds or wii

Well 3DS will be 75m+ and Wii is 100m+, both are good numbers. :)

Wii could have beaten the ps2.

And if nintendo keeps up what they did in 2017.

and as of right now besides the horrible labo junk they are doing pretty good.

Switch could be gigantic,not just in hardware sales but  also the physical software library.

Just like the  ps4.

Cant wait for bayonetta 2 and 3

Kirby.

Donkey kong.

Hyrule warriors.

I need more xenoblade!

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

The bottom line is that Switch achieved this result without reaching out for a new market (as opposed to the Wii). It was successfull within the mainstream console userbas. Plus it hasn't relied on agressive pricing and bundling policies so far. This means itas success is more likely to be sustainable in the long run.

Great, but they’re clearly profiting from a March release at the moment.