By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS just had its best month of sales since late 2014! What does this mean for its future?

aikohualda said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I literally went out and bought a huge floor lamp with a bendable frame to play my GBA back in 2001. I had it sitting next to my bed and would have it bent all the way over, pointing face down, with it's 100W bulb blazing away an inch from my head for hours while playing games. 

When the GBA SP launched, it was like pennies from heaven.

why was GBA so dark?

playing the cavern part of pokemon games was made me want to dilate my eyes....

but yeah gba sp was amazing... weird that you can own GBA SP and 3DS and can play all nintendos handheld library

Yes, it was dark. For awhile there was a small start up company selling front-light kits that you could buy and then install yourself. They were called Afterburners. It was so successful that a lot of people think it was what prompted Nintendos decision to finally give us some light lol.

And yeah, I'd forgotten all about the legendary GBA BC until I bought an SP off Ebay last year (my ex sold all my game systems 10 years ago behind my back and I'm still catching up). For shits and giggles I put my copy of Links Awakening into the thing and booted it up. When I saw that not only was it playing, but also adding COLOR? Holy shit. lol

I don't think we'll ever see three generations worth of BC on a handheld again. Not in physical form anyway.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Hopefully it means a new Gameboy line of handhelds. Yeah, one can dream.

I hope they bring the Gameboy name back. That would make the product instantly successful.

I'd probably buy one for me and everyone I know lol. 

AlfredoTurkey said:
OTBWY said:

I hope they bring the Gameboy name back. That would make the product instantly successful.

Little chance though. Nintendo dropped it because in favor of a gender neutral name. It's stupid, but that's what happened.

It would be cool to have the Gameboy brand brought back in a few years. But it wouldn't make any sense. The Switch eshop (lots of smaller games) is essentially that.

It means Nintendo should just go third party.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Little chance though. Nintendo dropped it because in favor of a gender neutral name. It's stupid, but that's what happened.

Transboy?

Not to take anything away form the sale numbers,

But how many kids at Christmas asked for Switch and got the 3DS instead by mistake / or by parents say this one is cheaper, close enough, i'll get that instead, they will still love it lol.

I figure they'll just keep selling the system for a while longer, like a year at least. Let the system continue selling with the last of support from 3rd party until its eventual retirement.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I want another n3ds version... with a gameboy slot and full BC.

The 3DS family of systems is going to keep selling decently well as long as the Switch is $300. There are lots of people out there that want a handheld system and the Switch price tag is just too much. I also think Nintendo is going to continue to give it a little bit of support just because that is a really easy way for them to make an easy profit while showing their 3DS customers that they haven't completely forgotten about them. I mean, what were the big really big first party releases for the 3DS in 2017? Off the top of my head they were

Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon - The content equivalent of re-releasing a game with a DLC pack.
Samus Returns - A remake
Fire Emblem - A remake
Miitopia - An RPG using Miis. (Doubt they spent much on graphics)

These games do not take a lot of resources to make. The 3DS has a sizable install base, so this is easy profit while making their 3DS customers content. I expect this kind of support until they are ready to lower the Switch's price. The only thing that might kill off the 3DS sooner than that is Pokemon on the Switch.