By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - North and South Korea agree to carry single flag at Winter Olympics and field joint women's ice hockey team

Errorist76 said:

Are you honestly disputing facts?! 

https://www.thebalance.com/who-owns-the-u-s-national-debt-3306124

"In October 2017, China owned $1.2 trillion of U.S. debt. It's the largest foreign holder of U.S. Treasury securities. The second largest holder is Japan at $1.1 trillion. "

This just demonstrates that you have no understanding of bonds or securities ... 

The largest holder of US debt by far are American entities themselves such state/local governments and citizens. China only holds about 6% of total US government bonds ... 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Errorist76 said:

Are you honestly disputing facts?! 

https://www.thebalance.com/who-owns-the-u-s-national-debt-3306124

"In October 2017, China owned $1.2 trillion of U.S. debt. It's the largest foreign holder of U.S. Treasury securities. The second largest holder is Japan at $1.1 trillion. "

This just demonstrates that you have no understanding of bonds or securities ... 

The largest holder of US debt by far are American entities themselves such state/local governments and citizens. China only holds about 6% of total US government bonds ... 

Who was debating that?! This whole point was about foreign countries not about entities in general.

CaptainExplosion said:
CosmicSex said:

I mean this all sounds like your opinion.  What do you mean coming up with a strategy in case of retaliation?  Beware of judging everything using only fear.

We want Korea to be a stable region.  We want them to become part of the larger community.  I think this is a positive outcome.

Well it's soon to be a negative one, because the fat guy will convince everyone else in the country that they should nuke everyone else as a show of power.

Never. Trust. North Koreans.

You sound like the paranoid loons that make everything worse.

Imagine all the defections that'll ocur after the olympics. Unless little rocket man's propoganda has really gone to people's heads.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

pokoko said:
The_Yoda said:
Lets hope this can be the first step of many in the right direction for NK. I'm not personally holding my breath but it would be nice.

I really doubt that it's anything more than a political move, to be honest.  North Korean propaganda is that there is no North-and-South Korea, just that part of Korea is controlled by "American Imperialism."  The U.S. is the bogeyman they use to keep the populace in check.  My guess is that they're going to try to talk up the power of a united Korea--even if most of the credit belongs to South Korea.  

I joked about it before but it's a place where the leaders keep power by maintaining complete control of information.  Letting go of that, even slightly, would expose too much and confidence in the government would begin to crumble overnight.  

I hold the same assumption, that's why I said i wouldn't hold my breath. It rarely hurts to hope for the best though.

As for the the complete control of information as someone else pointed out, I too wonder what will happen to the athletic representatives they send once they return home.  Controlling information inside your own country is one thing but these athletes will be exposed to the real world and the people of it, I wonder how he plans to keep a lid on their experiences.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:

Who was debating that?! This whole point was about foreign countries not about entities in general.

I see you've changed goal posts ... 

Errorist76 said:

They’re greatly improving. 6.6 % growth this year as reported today.

China has 3500 years of history. Their culture and civilisation is incredibly rich. Guy needs to read a book once in a while.

They’re also the biggest loan giver of the US...and, btw, have just degraded the US to being as credit worthy as Chile..after Trump’s tax reform.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-ratings-dagong/chinese-agency-dagong-cuts-u-s-sovereign-ratings-to-bbb-from-a-idUSKBN1F50OU?il=0

Not that I'd expect much from some stranger that responded with "Guy needs to read a book once in a while" to someone else ... 

You should heed your own advice more often ... 

fatslob-:O said:
Errorist76 said:

I see you've changed goal posts ... 

Errorist76 said:

They’re greatly improving. 6.6 % growth this year as reported today.

China has 3500 years of history. Their culture and civilisation is incredibly rich. Guy needs to read a book once in a while.

They’re also the biggest loan giver of the US...and, btw, have just degraded the US to being as credit worthy as Chile..after Trump’s tax reform.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-ratings-dagong/chinese-agency-dagong-cuts-u-s-sovereign-ratings-to-bbb-from-a-idUSKBN1F50OU?il=0

Not that I'd expect much from some stranger that responded with "Guy needs to read a book once in a while" to someone else ... 

You should heed your own advice more often ... 

I was talking solely about countries...whatever you want to put in my mouth. Maybe I should have specified that.

The thing is, if North Korea tries anything shady, I can't imagine any country will trust them again until they have a new leader. Not that there is much trust to begin with, but it would be a start if things go well.

I suspect an attempt to circumvent UN punishment.