By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch has sold over 600,000 units in Germany

Oh wow, really amazing. Switch doing super well in continental Europe. Those British islands remain having flop taste :p

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

lmao fact? the latest entries  of mario world for 3ds out sold smash, how the hell is smash bigger then  mario 3d world, dude you are wrong plain and simple. only 1 game in the franshise has sold over 10 million, while many 3d marios have sold over 11=12. you make no sense. your argument would hold a bit of water if those games have slumping sales like GT, or halo, yea there were selling huge numbers years ago  like you mention but 2d mario entries are not doing what there doing 10 years ago, they are just slightly beating 3d mario.

Smash 4 was a multiplatform release, why would i only compare one version of it? When talking about the sales of a multiplatform title you always include all versions. Smash 4 did over 14 million and Smash Brawl did over 13 million.

You like to ignore certain things, i said they are AS BIG or bigger than 3D Mario. This is a true statement.

Like i said earlier, read better.

dude your logic is so silly, now your combining wii u and 3ds smash to prove a point, can i combine mario 64 and mario 64 ds?, can i combine ocarina  of time, with the remake as well, can i combine mario 3d land with mario 3d world.  point is those games have sold way more in the same time frame then the games you listed as bigger thats what makes it a bigger franchise bigger. it's laughable that you think what you say  is fact. you do understand  that a franchise that can sell 30 million in 5 years with 3 games is a much bigger franchise then a franchise that can sell 11.5 million with one game in 5 years this is simple logic, and is fact.

Last edited by quickrick - on 20 January 2018

Interesting comments, is there any breakdown of sales per european country at any point so far. People keep saying the UK hasn't accepted the Switch but surely it has been one of the most successful markets for Switch after German y (far bigger population) and France which is a near identical population. I don't think other large countries like Spain or Italy have bought as many.

There was definitely retailer apathy at the beginning in the UK but we still shifted 80,000 Switches at launch compared to something like 25,000 in Italy and other countries like Greece where only 2,000 were sold. France is definitely the leading country for Switch in Europe though no question.

There are something like 50 countries in Europe and the UK is probably in the top 5 of Switch success by volume and probably in the top 10 by ratio of sales by population. How are people working out that the UK hasn't taken to Switch purely by historic comparisons compared to wii etc? Even if true that still doesn't negate its one of the most important markets for Switch today even if we haven't accepted it to the same level as wii.

Again though I'm sure all this will become clearer when we get more concrete numbers by each country. Certainly comparing the UK to mainland Europe surely shows that the UK has bought many more Switches per head even by early numbers.

Population of Europe 743 million, population of UK 66 million.
Switches sold in Europe 3 million, switches sold in uk ?

If the UK has bought more than 267,000 Switches we have bought more per head than the average in Europe.

bonzobanana said:
Interesting comments, is there any breakdown of sales per european country at any point so far. People keep saying the UK hasn't accepted the Switch but surely it has been one of the most successful markets for Switch after German y (far bigger population) and France which is a near identical population. I don't think other large countries like Spain or Italy have bought as many.

There was definitely retailer apathy at the beginning in the UK but we still shifted 80,000 Switches at launch compared to something like 25,000 in Italy and other countries like Greece where only 2,000 were sold. France is definitely the leading country for Switch in Europe though no question.

There are something like 50 countries in Europe and the UK is probably in the top 5 of Switch success by volume and probably in the top 10 by ratio of sales by population. How are people working out that the UK hasn't taken to Switch purely by historic comparisons compared to wii etc? Even if true that still doesn't negate its one of the most important markets for Switch today even if we haven't accepted it to the same level as wii.

Again though I'm sure all this will become clearer when we get more concrete numbers by each country. Certainly comparing the UK to mainland Europe surely shows that the UK has bought many more Switches per head even by early numbers.

If the UK has bought more than 267,000 Switches we have bought more per head than the average in Europe.

Regarding the UK, we had the infromation at the end of October, that the Switch  had reached 300k. In the same time, the Switch was over 400k in France. Now the Switch is at 911k in France, so we can estimate the UK number at probably around 700k ? Maybe more ?

We generally say that the UK doesn't like Nintendo because it is a bigger market than France or Germany for Videogames but the size of Nintendo is smaller.

Lucas-Rio said:
bonzobanana said:

Regarding the UK, we had the infromation at the end of October, that the Switch  had reached 300k. In the same time, the Switch was over 400k in France. Now the Switch is at 911k in France, so we can estimate the UK number at probably around 700k ? Maybe more ?

We generally say that the UK doesn't like Nintendo because it is a bigger market than France or Germany for Videogames but the size of Nintendo is smaller.

I can't say I like that reasoning  to be honest. It seems warped where people's expectations of a market seem more important than the actual numbers sold. It confuses the whole thing and just allows for people  to put their own  warped/skewed opinion which others may follow. The way its portrayed in this thread is the UK has rejected the Switch but mainland Europe has accepted it but the reality is the opposite the UK on its own has done great numbers compared to mainland Europe except that in mainland Europe Germany and France  have done really well and most of the other countries have rejected it. There are 2 types of people in life, those that look at the evidence and those that believe  what they want to believe it seems.

Two factors I believe are important, one is retailer apathy at the beginning in the UK has changed, shops have seem the success and are now pushing  the Switch in the UK so I think it was only a weak start for Switch in the UK. Also I do feel that Europe is more sensitive to price, many countries of Europe have less disposable income and price is a greater factor. So I can see Europe recovering anyway in a year or so as the Switch becomes more affordable. 

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
Lucas-Rio said:

I can't say I like that reasoning  to be honest. It seems warped where people's expectations of a market seem more important than the actual numbers sold. It confuses the whole thing and just allows for people  to put their own  warped/skewed opinion which others may follow. The way its portrayed in this thread is the UK has rejected the Switch but mainland Europe has accepted it but the reality is the opposite the UK on its own has done great numbers compared to mainland Europe except that in mainland Europe Germany and France  have done really well and most of the other countries have rejected it. There are 2 types of people in life, those that look at the evidence and those that believe  what they want to believe it seems.

Two factors I believe are important, one is retailer apathy at the beginning in the UK has changed, shops have seem the success and are now pushing  the Switch in the UK so I think it was only a weak start for Switch in the UK. Also I do feel that Europe is more sensitive to price, many countries of Europe have less disposable income and price is a greater factor. So I can see Europe recovering anyway in a year or so as the Switch becomes more affordable. 

The reasoning is the same for all products. It's compared with the size of the market. If you have , let's say, 30% of the market in Italy and only 15% of the market in the UK, the console will be considered more successfull in Italy, despite the fact that it may have sold more in the UK, just because it's naturally a much bigger market for videogames.

Vendors compete as much for units sold as for marketshare, marketshare is how they perceive their performance relative to the market and how much more they could do.

I don't think any european country has "rejected" the Switch so far, as we have got press release from Nintendo France, Germany, Spain and Italy that the Switch sold more in 10 months than any other previous Nintendo console.

zorg1000 said: 

If the next 2D Mario is just another NSMB rehash than you might be right but if its an innovative and fresh new entry than it will blow past Odyssey.

Huum, i think you does not realize how big Mario Odyssey actually is. it is true, 2D Mario are bigger than 3D Mario, the point is that even Mario Odyssey is way bigger than all the others Mario 3D...

Saying Mario 2D will outsell Odyssey because Odyssey is a 3D game, is like saying *insert game* will outsell Breath of the wild because of Zelda standard sales...

Mario Odyssey has already sold 3 million in USA alone, WW is probabily 6/7 million sold and 7/8 million shipped, and that's in only 3 months... (2 months and 1 week to be precise).

That's an insane attach rate, and of course when a launch title is so close with the actual console sales, it means the legs are gonna be insane. I predicted 15 million at first for Mario Odyssey, but right now..... 20 million looks realistic.

Now, if you think 2D Mario will beat this, i surely can see why, but "blow past" that is not gonna happen.

Alkibiádēs said: 

How did the December NPD results pan out for ya?

better than November NPD panned out for ya I would imagine

bonzobanana said:

I think you still missing point about UK, we basicly get infos from all big Europe countries that Switch is best selling console ever or best selling Nintendo console ever, except UK. That offcourse doesnt meant that Switch sold/selling bad in UK just that doenst have same popularity like it has in other big European countries, nothing more nothing less.

celador said:
Alkibiádēs said: 

How did the December NPD results pan out for ya?

better than November NPD panned out for ya I would imagine

You mean when Sony had to cut their price by 33%?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides