By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Cryptocurrency is crashing, are you in or out?

numberwang said:
Everything that is not based on physical entities (stocks, precious metals...) is speculation.

Stocks are the best store of value

No matter what you use as an exchange of value, the capability of production will still have value. Microsoft will break the bank, regardless if they're banking dollars or Bitcoin

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
I mined 1.6 Bitcoins way back before it was cool.

But I forgot the password for my wallet, lol. I don't even know if my coins are worth anything or if they are Part of some fork that nobody uses anymore or something. I'm Not really into all that stuff. I just tried it out because I had a beefy PC and way too much time on my hands.

A common tale. Estimates of ~8 million bitcoin inaccessible at this point.

In any case, you would never lose in a hard fork...you would just get 1.6 forked coins in addition to your 1.6 bitcoin.

OT: Buying cheap coins of course!

I know the recent Asian news was a cause for the crash, but at the same time seeing this mass panic just reminded me of how little people truly know about Bitcoin. For them, it's simply some random currency that can get you money.

If people are viewing cryptocurrency as investing money to make money, then I'd be a bit concerned about its future. Hopefully people become more educated and study cryptocurrencies before making a boneheaded move. At this point it feels more like gambling than an actual currency to many people

Ultr said:
Ganoncrotch said:

you left out the part where you come back in 2 days and find your $30 of bitcoin is now worth 30c and you need to get your wallet out anyway.

As for bitcoin to me the things are like Pogs, some people will try to convince you that it has a $ value, even though you cannot spend it like you can $'s those same people try to suggest that dollar value has increased... but really it's based on nothing more than a fad of people who do not understand why a real currency has value as it's guaranteed by a bank rather than a currency based on code.

It can crash and burn along with everyone who thinks it's the next coming of christ for all I care.

But Crypto and the Tech behind it can be huge for the world.

You should really educate yourself a bit on this topic because its not going anywhere. Yes the value will fluctuate but that is just speculation. But the technology behind it is here to stay.

Also Bitcoin is not the only thing out there

There is even a coin that tries to provide universal basic income to everyone on this planet :D its insane. But hey, what else are humans here for if not for testing new things?

Unless every single person on the planet agrees that the currency has a value then it is worthless, it's the same value as monopoly money or something you print out on your own PC and printer unless global banks and retailers agree that it has a value.

As for educating myself? I know that "mining" these things now consumes an equal amount of electricity as a medium size country,  the one group who are making a very clear and real world amount of money are the electric companies of the world as well as sellers of AMD graphics cards / coolers / PSUs, they are producing a massive carbon footprint for effectively doing completely inane computations to "mine" these things which has a finite amount which can ever be made but at an increased cost per coin generated.

I'm aware of the fact that they're is far more out there than just bitcoins but they all have the same caps in their design by default and they also all suffer from the fact that the majority of the planet doesn't deem them to have any actual value.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Too risky for me. Regulation is really hurting it.

Around the Network

I did not bought any. But I am interested in the developments.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

monocle_layton said:
I know the recent Asian news was a cause for the crash, but at the same time seeing this mass panic just reminded me of how little people truly know about Bitcoin. For them, it's simply some random currency that can get you money.

If people are viewing cryptocurrency as investing money to make money, then I'd be a bit concerned about its future. Hopefully people become more educated and study cryptocurrencies before making a boneheaded move. At this point it feels more like gambling than an actual currency to many people

There is no point anymore. Crypto currencies have long become just commodities for a handful of people to trade and make money from. They are as much currency now as stock.

Even if crypto currencies will be used as actual currency some day it will not get widespread due to inherent design constraints.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin_scalability_problem

I'm quite certain that all crypto currency will never amount to more than being a plaything for rich people, a money laundering tool and payment for illegal goods. It was a neat idea but humans fucked it up.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I cashed out 1.5 btc yesterday to get my $20K initial investment out. I still have 3.5 btc in. I'll won't sell these. I may reinvest my $20k when btc reaches $8000.

spurgeonryan said:
Moneybags said:
I cashed out 1.5 btc yesterday to get my $20K initial investment out. I still have 3.5 btc in. I'll won't sell these. I may reinvest my $20k when btc reaches $8000.

So you have lost nothing, and now have 3.5 btc in profit? You have done well for yourself. 

Thanks. I feel like this dip doesn't mean it's over at all for btc. It is just slow at certain problems being solved. I think these problems will be a thing of the past by the end of the year. and we'll still end up seeing a $50 - $75K btc.

It's another bubble that will burst soon, arf.
I've prepared popcorn and old 3D glasses when people will go jumping off rooftops, arf.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3