By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Cryptocurrency is crashing, are you in or out?

According to Bitcoin Obituaries, which counts every time bitcoin was declared dead, it has died 236 times so far.

https://99bitcoins.com/bitcoinobituaries/

Cryptos came to stay the same way internet came to stay. Even if bitcoin dies. other crypto will take its place, because for a crypto to kill another, it certainly offers a better protocol. And according to coinmarketcap, BTC only accounts for 34% of the total crypto market cap.

Last edited by Birimbau - on 20 January 2018

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
bigtakilla said:

it's harder than you think to even do that. I'm not saying don't invest for sure, but do some research and know what it's gonna cost to get you in, to get you out, and whether that stock has the potential to make you any money whatsoever. I have a friend that invested in cryptocurrency in Dec of last year, and he still will not make any money if he gets out. (granted its ripple and did not take off like bitcoin, but the bitcoin boom may have ended. 

I am confused by this post, you do realise ripple is up exponentially more in the last 12 months than bitcoin, hell even in the last month it is up way more than bitcoin. you could buy ripple for 24 cents near the start of December 2017, it is currently around the $2 mark even after the crash. so unless you mean he was dumb and brought in at the stupid prices late December he should have made 10 fold on his investment easily.

He didn't go in at it's lowest. Keep in mind there is fees to sell. If he sells now, he stands to make practically nothing.

Chrizum said:
OhNoYouDont said:

"Lots" hahaha, such as?

Kraken, GDAX, Bitfinex, Bitstamp...

I think maybe you misread my comments or something.

GDAX is Fiat -> BTC/ETH/BCH, count 'em 3 cryptos.

Bitfinex doesn't even serve the US, nor does it go Fiat -> ANY altcoin

Kraken is Fiat -> BTC -> altcoins

Bitstamp looks to be Fiat -> XRP/ETH/BTC/LTC -> altcoins

FairX will be Fiat -> ANY altcoin, no middleware bullshit. Well, it will exist but it will be behind the scenes using XLM.

So much for the crash...

OhNoYouDont said:
Chrizum said:

Kraken, GDAX, Bitfinex, Bitstamp...

I think maybe you misread my comments or something.

GDAX is Fiat -> BTC/ETH/BCH, count 'em 3 cryptos.

Bitfinex doesn't even serve the US, nor does it go Fiat -> ANY altcoin

Kraken is Fiat -> BTC -> altcoins

Bitstamp looks to be Fiat -> XRP/ETH/BTC/LTC -> altcoins

FairX will be Fiat -> ANY altcoin, no middleware bullshit. Well, it will exist but it will be behind the scenes using XLM.

Didn't misread, these are all exchanges that allow you to buy altcoins with Fiat. Not all altcoins, that's true, so that FairX does sound interesting. Although you are wrong about the mentioned exchanges. GDAX also allows you to buy LTC with Fiat, Kraken allows you to buy a lot of altcoins with Fiat, no BTC or ETH needed for many of them (LTC, BCH, XRP, XMR, REP, DASH, ZEC at the top of my head).

Around the Network

This crash was a golden opportunity to enter the market and have a little fun. If you can spare the money there is still time to try to surf the next rally wave.

I got lucky buying a few satoshis back in October and, even better, a new PC with a 1070 GPU in August.

My take profit target is 30K-35K by the end of 2018. However, I´m now putting more faith in altcoins, just for fun.

think-man said:
These crashes happen all the time. Ignore the FUD, stay out of the news article and watch the $$ go up. I've made loads of money off cryptocurrency, and I plan to make more.

How? Prove it, From now on detail in this thread exactly when and how much of which currency you buy at the same time you buy it, and when you sell it.

Its not that I don't believe you its just that I think perhaps you're telling trumps, so prove me wrong, are you man enough?

GProgrammer said:
think-man said:
These crashes happen all the time. Ignore the FUD, stay out of the news article and watch the $$ go up. I've made loads of money off cryptocurrency, and I plan to make more.

How? Prove it, From now on detail in this thread exactly when and how much of which currency you buy at the same time you buy it, and when you sell it.

Its not that I don't believe you its just that I think perhaps you're telling trumps, so prove me wrong, are you man enough?

Why the hell would he do that? It would be incredibly stupid to share that kind of information online and why does he need to prove anything to a random forum dweller in the first place?

Chrizum said:
GProgrammer said:

Why the hell would he do that? It would be incredibly stupid to share that kind of information online and why does he need to prove anything to a random forum dweller in the first place?

They don't have to give the key or even a screenshot of their coins, just say today the 21st January I brought 4.6 bitcoins @ $11,453, so we can actually see if they've gone up in value, though they only make a profit if they sell them.

Birimbau said:

According to Bitcoin Obituaries, which counts every time bitcoin was declared dead, it has died 236 times so far.

https://99bitcoins.com/bitcoinobituaries/

I don't think they're saying they're dead in those articles, just that its a bad investment. OK shall we check the first 10 articles anyway, the Dollar amount is I assume the bitcoin price at the time of the article

“Bitcoin price THREAT: Bitcoin WON’T last past 2018” – Express | $11,582.56

“The end of bitcoin” – The Week | $11,582.56

“Bitcoin could be here for 100 years but it’s more likely to ‘totally collapse,’ Nobel laureate says” – CNBC | $11,582.56

“Bitcoin’s Soaring Popularity Will Trigger Its Demise” – Seeking Alpha | $10,685.16

“Sorry, Bitcoin Fans. Digital Currency Is Still a Dream.” – Bloomberg | $13,996.74

“Bitcoin is a ‘pyramid scheme,’ warns former Wells Fargo CEO Dick Kovacevich” – CNBC | $13,996.74

“Bitcoin is outdated tech” – Hackernoon | $13,996.74

“Researchers find that one person likely drove Bitcoin from $150 to $1,000” – Techcrunch | $13,841.10

“Bitcoin’s Demise Moves Closer” – The Motley Fool | $13,869.76

“Bitcoin is teaching libertarians everything they don’t know about economics” – The Washington Post | $16,831.09

That site has those numbers so it can laugh later when bitcoin hits a $100k per coin (tip - it won't) and say look how foolish they were

Now the Bitcoin current price $10,251

2 people, one buys X dollars of bitcoin on each of those dates, the other buys X dollars of shares on the same date, as it stands now the bitcoin investor has seen there investment get to be worth quite a bit less, yet the share owner most likely has seen a slight increase in their value.