By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz needs a totally new forum

Ka-pi96 said:
100% disagree. gaf looks like trash! I'd hate it if VGC became as ugly as that!

THANK YOU! I hate the layout of gaf so much,urgh...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Around the Network

You haven't been following the situation very much, have you?

Ka-pi96 said:

Looks are highly configurable. The problem is that this forum's platform is ancient and probably something custom, which makes it a pain to work with. I've been talking for years that instead of trying to fix the mess we should just move to a modern and standardized forum platform. Makes everything a lot smoother and easier.

The problem is now that migrating will be a pain if you want to keep all of the features, specifically the GameDB. Though I'd have no problem with starting completely from scratch in a new forum.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Stuart23 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

It's not about the design. It's about the features.

globalisateur said:
Stuart23 said:

I still dislike the layout. It looks ugly on mobile.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
globalisateur said:

...specifically?

Edit: And yes, we're WELL aware of how this looks in mobile, and that is ABSOLUTELY being worked on (Supporters have had that new version for awhile now). So, beyond this particular issue - what "features" are you referring to?

- Comprehensive real time notifications system (yes, better than now, it's possible).

- Comprehensive search engine (possible also)

- Dark theme

- Dynamic design adapted for every resolutions: mobile and medium / big resolutions screens

- Better quoting system (I want to make quotes manually, quotes in reply are a pain in the ass to edit, and current quotes don't have links to the post, user name autocomplete in a quote with @ )

- Better integration of images, videos (videos integration should be fully automatic).

- No more intrusive ads. Depending of the my screen resolution, I was constantly forced to close some ads in order to read some posts. It was a real nuisance. That is until I installed adblock (mostly because of this website sadly).

- Pages could be quite long to download. Depending of the ads / signature.

- Also some offensive  scripts (popups, page that scrolls to the top constantly) could be found here, maybe coming from some signatures or ads ?

When you add all those little annoyances compared to some others forums (I am not talking about Neogaf) this forum can be a real chore to use now. It feels old and obsolete. 

TalonMan said:

- No more intrusive ads. Depending of the my screen resolution, I was constantly forced to close some ads in order to read some posts. It was a real nuisance. That is until I installed adblock (mostly because of this website sadly). This has nothing to do with the forum, has been discussed to death, and I can't comment on this anymore.

- Also some offensive  scripts (popups, page that scrolls to the top constantly) could be found here, maybe coming from some signatures or ads ? Again, this is ad related - NOT forum code. 

I've seen several people complaining about the ads on mobile, while everything looks perfectly clean and safe on my phone. Do you know what causes this difference?

TalonMan said:
globalisateur said:

- Better quoting system (I want to make quotes manually, quotes in reply are a pain in the ass to edit, and current quotes don't have links to the post, user name autocomplete in a quote with @ ) This can be done pretty darn easily. It's never been requested so far as I know, so this is the first I've seen of the request.

Let me second the motion, then. Trying to manage quotes on this forum can be a pain, especially if you want to dissect them for a concise debate. I've learned to work around it by making new tables (why on Earth are they 2x2 by default?!), then copying and pasting, but it would be nice to be able to use something like a [quote=user]text[/quote] bracket instead (if something like that already exists here, please enlighten me). Being able to click add new quotes from within the rich text editor so you can write as you go would be nice, too.

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 16 January 2018

Add to the list:

- Some embedded videos can't be fullscreened

The only thing I could agree on is dynamic resolution, but since that works apparently, then meh!

..but it's nice to know they named a forum template after me