By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Wrestling: Chris Jericho earns first 5-Star Match after nearly 30 years in the business

VAMatt said:
I watched the match just now. It was very good. Nothing amazing though. I don't follow wrestling anymore. But, I find it hard to believe the Jericho has never had a match that good before.

There's times I've question the scores. Brock Lesner has never had a 5 star, yet hes put on fantastic matches. Shawn Michaels only put out 2, which is crazy considering him being one of the best of all time. Same with AJ Styles, Meltzer only gave him 1 5 star match.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Around the Network
Acevil said:
It wasn't 5 star match, but Meltzer and his Japanese boner.

That's probably it.  I mean, even though neither is Japanese.

pokoko said:
Acevil said:
It wasn't 5 star match, but Meltzer and his Japanese boner.

I do not mean the nationality of either, I mean the location and organization. This wasn't even the best match of the night. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 13 January 2018

Acevil said:
pokoko said:

I do not mean the nationality of either, I mean the location and organization. This wasn't even the best match of the night. 

Did the other matches in the same location with Japanese talent get 5 star matches?

pokoko said:
Acevil said:

Did the other matches in the same location with Japanese talent get 5 star matches?

No idea what he gave the better match of the night the fatal four way, but all I can say is Takeover Chicago Dune/Bate deserved much better rating than this Omega/Jericho match.

Last edited by Acevil - on 13 January 2018

Around the Network

This will always be my favorite theme of his from WCW. It's based on the Song by Mammoth called All the Days.

HomokHarcos said:
COKTOE said:
I'm well out of the loop in pro wrestling, and will likely never watch it like I used to, but will try to give this a look sooner than later. I was a fan of his going back to WCW. His first appearance on Raw is still a personal favorite moment.

If you want to get back into wrestling for the matches, watch NJPW.

Thanks for the recommendation. My cousin and his son made me aware of it about a year ago. Time probably won't allow for it though.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
HomokHarcos said:

If you want to get back into wrestling for the matches, watch NJPW.

Thanks for the recommendation. My cousin and his son made me aware of it about a year ago. Time probably won't allow for it though.

Or if you're looking for a WWE equivalent, there's NXT. For me my interest in wrestling is on-and-off.

Last edited by HomokHarcos - on 13 January 2018

I'm obviously very happy for Jericho, and at 47 years old, that's just incredible that he can put out a match of that quality. Obviously, it helps when you have Kenny Omega as an opponent, who is one of the top 3 best wrestlers on the planet in my view, alongside Okada and A.J. Styles. But it takes 2 guys to have an excellent match and Jericho has been doing this for almost 30 years and has wrestled for almost all the major promotions who were around during that time and faced so many different people. So, he deserves just as much credit as Kenny Omega for that match, who has quickly become one of my favorites to watch!

But, if this is a 5 star match, than the match he had with Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 19 should have also been 5 stars, because that match, in my view, was just as good as this one was, if not better.

Also OP: Kenny Omega has actually broken the 6 Star barrier three times.

His first match with Okada at Wrestle Kingdom last year was 6 stars and their rematch at Dominion was 6 1/4 stars, which is actually the highest rating Meltzer has ever given. And then their 3rd match at the G1 broke 6 stars as well.

I think Meltzer my have a little bit of bias towards the Okada/Omega rivalries, just a little.